High bgls - Increase of tresiba

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This morning I've increased my tresiba by 4 units from 16 units to 20 units - I hope an increase of 4 units is ok to do

Bgls for the last couple of days
Today
9:02am
before breakfast 10.5
18g of carbs
2.0 units humalog food

7:19am waking 15.3
3.0 units humalog correction
20 units tresiba

----------

8/9
23:27pm before bed 14.2
didn't do a correction because I don't like doing fast acting when going to bed

19:19pm - before tea 9.7 -
73g of carbs
7.5 units humalog food
1.0 units humalog correction

14:15pm before lunch 17.3
49g of carbs
5.0 units humalog food
3.5 units humalog correction

9:11am before breakfast 11.2 36g of carbs
4.5 units humalog food

7:51am waking 14.5
2.5 units humalog correction
16.0 units tresiba

----------

7/9
23:10pm before bed 9.5

19:14pm before tea 10.3
41g of carbs
4.0 units humalog food
1.5 units humalog correction

14:19pm before lunch 10.2
49g of carbs
5.0 units humalog food
1.0 units humalog correction

9:08am before breakfast 8.9
36g of carbs
4.5 units humalog food

8:02am waking 12.8
2.0 units humalog correction
16.0 units tresiba

I go cautiously and adjust either way 0.5-1u at a time, your waking readings arent all THAT high and I have a feeling increasing by 4u is a mistake and you'll end up experiencing hypo's again, I know you dont test often as it is and I also know you arent fully hypo aware so this is a big concern and I'd highly suggest you test more over the coming days xx

I would definitely go more cautiously with a unit increase at a time, remember that Tresiba takes longer to "kick in" than many other long acting insulins. That means that with any adjustment you may not see any changes for a few days - usually 3 but it varies from person to person. If you are concerned that you may have increased by rather a lot all in one go just make sure that tomorrow you reverse that decision and just do an increase of one unit, that way you won't have to cope with horrible lows and if it's not enough you can go more gradually. Speak to a DSN if you are uncertain. Good luck.

I think you made a good decision to increase your Tresiba but like the others I believe you may have been too heavy handed in increasing it 4 units in one go.
Considering how cautious you usually are and ask advice about much less important issues, I am quite surprised that you would just go ahead and make such a dramatic change without any input from others. Hope you get away with it but whole heartedly agree with @Kaylz that you need to do a lot more testing to keep a closer eye on things over the coming days and perhaps set an alarm to test through the night too.
I am not experienced with using Tresiba but I know they recommend not making any further changes within 3 days but I might be inclined to do what @Flutterby suggests and dial it back a bit tomorrow and certainly do that if you start dropping too low today, but as has been said, you will not see the full effect of that change for a few days so don't become complacent if all goes well today and tomorrow. Please keep a close eye on things.

4 units is 25% of your 16, so a very large increase - sure I have seen others advising no more than 10% change at a time?

Hi everyone and thank you so much for the replies. Tomorrow I'm going to change it to 18.0 units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back