High after breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeEGGY

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last few days my pre-lunch readings have been 10 plus.

I use carb counting which works with every other mealtime.

Woke up this morning, at 4.8, had 2 croissants and took the correct doses? Was 11.5 when I checked later that day.

What could be causing this? Not eating enough?

What ratio are you using for breakfast?

I use 1-7.5 for all meals and it works well. Just last few days have been off

Are you T1 or T2 ? It does not say on your profile. Croissants are often different carb wise. Its not like a slice of bread from a reputable maker. Good luck

I use 1-7.5 for all meals and it works well. Just last few days have been off
Sometimes people find they need to adjust their ratios around this time of year as it gets colder. Or could you be coming down with something? If you can't think of any reason as to why you might be going higher (and assuming croissants are something you normally have without issues) then I'd be tempted to try a different ratio.

Yeah, it could be that your ratio needs adjusting......this can happen for all sorts of reasons.....

you would want to confirm that it isn't a one off though by repeating a similar breakfast and testing it out a few times...

When you say later that day when do you mean? if it was well into the afternoon could mean your basal could also have contributed...

I do find when I have brekky (and if I don't I'll always be high pre-lunch) I need a bit more bolus insulin than normal with it, whatever it is.

If I think a croissant is 25g carb - I count it as 30. (30 = 35 etc) It's nearer two slices of bred equivalent, than 1 slice. If I had a scrape of jam for which I might usually add 5g - I add 10g. If I have one Weetabix, with milk (all measured!) it's actually approx. 22g carb - BUT I count it as 30.

Rest of the time from then on - I'm bog standard 1u for 10g

I find I need a lot more insulin per gram of carb for breakfast than I do for other meals (for me it's usually around 1:10 for breakfast, 1:21 for lunch; 1:18 in the evening). I also find it helps if I inject early for breakfast - I can inject maybe 40 minutes before breakfast, but I wouldn't dare inject more than about 5 minutes in advance for other meals or I'd hypo mid-meal.

Different things work for different people, but it may be worth trying slightly more insulin with your breakfast or trying injecting a bit earlier (don't try 40 minutes though, if you normally inject just before breakfast - try 10 or 15 minutes to start with and see how it goes). It may be the colder weather that's effecting your bgls and meaning you need more insulin, though - it's quite common for weather changes to lead to insulin dose changes, as @Sprogladite says.

Last few days my pre-lunch readings have been 10 plus.

I use carb counting which works with every other mealtime.

Woke up this morning, at 4.8, had 2 croissants and took the correct doses? Was 11.5 when I checked later that day.

What could be causing this? Not eating enough?

What you are describing pretty much seems like my experience of living with T1D Luke.

1. Work on doses / carb counting / strategies / food choices to get decent results...
  2. Decent results continue for a while... (a week, 2 weeks, a month if I'm lucky)
  3. Continue using the same dose timing/ratio eating the same foods, but suddenly levels are significantly higher/lower than expected
  4. Experiment with small alterations to basal / meal dose / timing for that food choice
  5. Return to '1'.
If you are doing the same things and it used to work, but it isn't any more then it's not you or your behaviour that has changed, it's just your diabetes has moved the goalposts. I usually find I only need to slightly tweak basal up or down a little to resilve there issues - my meal/correction ratios can usually stay pretty stable but my basal needs wobble up and down, and if they are only slightly off it can take a whole bunch more units in correction / meal insulin than the smidgen of basal represents. Doesn't make much sense if aiming for 'diabetes maths' - but I always find this is more 'biology' - and much more art than science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back