High 5 ️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Received my HbA1c result today and thrilled that it was 5.9 (41) my lowest ever in 26 years of T1.
The major reason is due to the technology of the 780g and Guardian G4 system!

Congratulations! Sounds like you and the technology are getting on really well together with your diabetes management. Well done!

Received my HbA1c result today and thrilled that it was 5.9 (41) my lowest ever in 26 years of T1.
The major reason is due to the technology of the 780g and Guardian G4 system!
Well done!

Yes, great result. May I ask how long you've been pumping? A request to get started with a pump a few months ago brought a disappointing initial reply that my control is too good to make me a likely successful applicant. But I'll persist and try to "wear them down"!

Yes, great result. May I ask how long you've been pumping? A request to get started with a pump a few months ago brought a disappointing initial reply that my control is too good to make me a likely successful applicant. But I'll persist and try to "wear them down"!
HI Roland,
I have been pumping since April 2011, 3 or 4 different pumps, but the Medtronic 780G used with Guardian 4 sensors has been a game changer, I usually had an Hba1c in the mid 6s, not bad but maybe a few too many hypos (caused by trying to keep tight control.)
I, like you didn’t match the NICE criteria for a pump due to reasonably good control on MDI, however, I pushed hard and suggested to my (then excellent) Consultant that perhaps “my control might not be so good” for my next review! She replied “I thought you might say that!) and I was shortly ticking the box by attending a carb counting course before being issued with my first pump.
Good luck……keep battling, there would be no way I could match my numbers on MDi!

Like many on here I was refused a pump first time. Gather evidence and keep pushing.
A useful bit of evidence can be focusing on Time in Range rather than HbA1c. I know that having sensors shows us what is happening in between our meal BGs and for me this was vastly improved by switching to a pump. This also reduced the number of hypos, and so helps with keeping hypo awareness. Another long term factor that might be worth mentioning.

I know pumping is not what everyone wants, but if you are keen to get one keep pushing. Things have changed and these should now be more widely available. Looping is another step on and I suspect that it will be a while before that becomes funded for many of us.

Amazing @Phil65

Yes I’ve snuck back into the 5 Club because of hybrid closed loop too (though tSlim and Dex G6 in my case)

I made it there once before on MDI, but it was much higher risk, and many more low level hypos.

Like many on here I was refused a pump first time. Gather evidence and keep pushing.
A useful bit of evidence can be focusing on Time in Range rather than HbA1c. I know that having sensors shows us what is happening in between our meal BGs and for me this was vastly improved by switching to a pump. This also reduced the number of hypos, and so helps with keeping hypo awareness. Another long term factor that might be worth mentioning.

I know pumping is not what everyone wants, but if you are keen to get one keep pushing. Things have changed and these should now be more widely available. Looping is another step on and I suspect that it will be a while before that becomes funded for many of us.
I myslef am thinking of thinking of bringing up again in my appointments as I believe in my case it would make things easier.There was time I brought it ages ago and I was "were not saying no but not yet" then i was given a list "DAFNE frist then back on the libre or some other tech then maybe we can look at it." Cut forward to 1 year and 8 months letter I've done DAFNE Im on dexcom one.

That a great result @Phil65 and I'm saying that as I've just achieved the same (41) for the first time in my 52 years with T1 diabetes. Like you, tech has absolutely made the difference and I am going to ask about eligibility for a pump on my next visit to clinic in Feb. I cope pretty well with pens but I'm interested to make comparisons.
It makes me smile about the huge amount of information, support, technology and expertise available now compared to my experience as a 16 year old contracting T1 all that time ago. No blood tests then except once a year. No disposable syringes, just glass ones you had to boil up for every injection. No real expertise or guidelines from diabetes specific centres. I really am surprised that I've survived!! 🙂
With regard to getting a good result with Hba1c, I'm very fortunate in that I don't really care too much about food. I only eat one meal a day in the evening. It struck me that every time you eat something you have to make an insulin adjustment (if you eat carbs), so why not just remove the risk. My Basal insulin (Tresiba) will keep me straight line at 6.5 all day without intervention and I just take a single dose of Novorapid to deal with my evening meal. Works like a dream. Tech, by way of Libre 2 has made so much difference as the availability of BG is constantly available....mostly as a confidence provider that all's ok, for me.
I'm now looking forward to checking out pump availability .....and like you, I think I'll be able to make my point 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back