Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am new to Freestyle Libre 2 & have just applied my 2 nd sensor using app on phone. It appears to have detected new sensor & asks if I want to use it but when responded yes, I did not get message about waiting one hour to use.
Phone constantly alerting & telling me to scan sensor. Does this mean it's faulty?
Thanks

You have to scan it, to get it going!

Thanks. I waited the hour & tried again. It worked this time.
Not sure why false starts.
Everyday's a school day!

Hope it works well for you @HelH

Welcome to the forum 🙂

Thanks. I've noticed that each time I've applied a new sensor I have a day of struggling with BH dropping and hypos. Wondering if my body is reacting to "foreign object"! Is that a thing for Libre2??

It certainly is ! When you get to the day before it expires, attached the new one, but don't activate it till the old on dies. Some folk even do that at 12 days rather than Day 13.

Anyway - try it and see if it helps. Certainly seems to help with me anyway. (Day 13)

Oh, thanks very much. Will try that.
I fit my replacement at least 3 days early. My body seems to need a generous settling period. Also, I sometimes get a sensor ending 24-36 hrs early! Happily Abbott have always replaced those for free.

There's such a lot to consider with this diabetes malarkey! DSN hasn't been able to answer my queries re Libre.
Thanks for sharing your experience. 2nd day of this sensor & I'm still swallowing Jelly Babies!

There's such a lot to consider with this diabetes malarkey! DSN hasn't been able to answer my queries re Libre.
Thanks for sharing your experience. 2nd day of this sensor & I'm still swallowing Jelly Babies!
Yes the malarkey is certainly challenging!

Have you seen the threads that explain the limitations of Libre? It's definitely a great extra, but it helps you to be aware of its limitations (or foibles!).

Do you mind telling me how long you've been T1 and thus dependent on just finger pricking for your BG? Are you using a phone, a reader or both for your readings? Knowing where you are starting from helps to 'tune' the answer.

Haven't seen thread but will look.
Diagnosed as T1 July 2011 after 6 months of being treated as T2 (because of age) & getting progressively more ill.
DAFNE graduate!
Been stable for few years till last Summer - had approx month of sugars dropping rapidly & regular hypos. I identified one of worst spells was day after a vaccination so concluded myself that was an immune response. DSN decided Oct I should try Libre2 but this was only organised for March 3rd.

Haven't seen thread but will look.
There was a Thread titled "Libre 2 Trial" c.8 & 9 March 22 on the General Message Board. At post #20 I wrote:

There are some limitations with Libre and I deliberately didn't push these to you previously, but you may find the detail below informative and useful. I captured these from @helli on 23 Dec 21 and I just added a couple of nuances/comments from that capture:

"My advice would be to be fully aware of the limitations of libre.

- it may be less accurate for the first couple of days. Many of us insert it 48 hours before activating.
- it is calibrated to be accurate for “normal“ readings (between 4 and 10mmol/l). Therefore, always check with a finger prick test before correcting treating a hypo or correcting a high.
- Libre does not read blood sugars, which finger pricking does. It reads interstitial fluid which is behind blood sugars: claimed by Abbott as 2.1 mins for children and 2.4 mins for adults, more usually c.5mins and up to 15 mins. Libre 2 extrapolates the current trend to predict the last 15 minutes. This is fantastic most of the time. However, if the trend changes, it can over shoot. This is especially important when treating a hypo - always check your hypo has finished with a finger prick and treat again if still low; Libre will lag and could undershoot, saying you are still low even when recovery is happening - so trust your finger prick result.
- sometimes a rapid change confuses the sensor algorithm and it stalls, giving a Sensor Error message code 373; try again in 10 mins.
- some Libre sensors are faulty. If you have a sensor which is always off by a couple of mmol/l or reports a fault, report it to Abbott by phone (or e-mail). They will probably replace it and may ask you to return the faulty sensor so don’t throw it away.
- if your sensor falls off, Abbott have been known to replace the sensor if the adhesive is poor for your skin. There are several suggestions in this forum for improving adhesion or protecting the sensor.

Once you have got used to Libre, you can look to do things like:
- look for trends which suggest you need to pre-bolus earlier or later.
- look for trends which may suggest your basal isn't lasting between doses.
- see what happens overnight (do you experience Dawn Phenomenon or Foot on the Floor syndrome?).
- see what happens with exercise and general activity.
- you can use the phone app of LibreLink; or register and go to the LibreView website for more detailed analysis and reports.

If you are tech minded, you may want to consider converting Libre 2 to a CGM so you don’t need to scan it. There are a number of options for this depending upon your phone, whether your diabetes team are checking your readings online and how techy you are. But they are not official and written by techies for techies." NB Diabox is written by a diabetic techie for diabetics.

There are other remarks about limitations around the forum, I just thought most of what helped was written by @helli last December.

Thanks. I've noticed that each time I've applied a new sensor I have a day of struggling with BH dropping and hypos. Wondering if my body is reacting to "foreign object"! Is that a thing for Libre2??
Do you suffer from hypos or is Libre telling you that you do?
Your body's reaction to the foreign object only affects what Libre reports. It does not actually affect your levels.
You should know because the advice is to always finger prick test if Libre reports a hypo (unless you have obvious symptoms).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back