• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Hi

MissieMoo

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi I am new here. Been told I have prediabetes so keen to find out more!

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @MissieMoo and welcome to the forum. Suggest you read around, checkout the learning zone and then start asking questions. Look forward to learning more about you.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @MissieMoo and welcome from me as well.

Not sure if you have already found it but there is some useful information on the main DUK website
Prediabetes | Diabetes UK | Reduce risk type 2 diabetes

Being diagnosed as pre-diabetic indicates that Diabetes is a risk,not a certainty. By taking care you have a very good chance of avoiding moving on to Type 2 Diabetes.
You may need to adjust your lifestyle a little by reviewing what you eat, and if possible increasing exercise.

Things that may help are avoiding sweet foods, and reducing starchy carbohydrates like bread, pasta rice etc and increasing vegetables.
There is no 'one size fits all' though and it is best to read around and try to find out what works for you.

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Since using this forum I am glad to have found it’s not all about denial but alternatives, the odd treat is important too. My favourite is Lindt 90% chocolate! (Not a whole bar, just over a postage stamp size most evenings) Good luck @ MissieMoo to finding what you enjoy

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My favourite is Lindt 90% chocolate!
If you have one convenient, Aldi sell a Moser Roch brand which are rather nice (good quality chocolate and pretty cheap). They come in bars which are actually 5 small bars inside, which (while a bit wasteful in packaging) does make it easy to each a smallish quantity.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you have one convenient, Aldi sell a Moser Roch brand which are rather nice (good quality chocolate and pretty cheap). They come in bars which are actually 5 small bars inside, which (while a bit wasteful in packaging) does make it easy to each a smallish quantity.
I have some in our larder. Agree it's rather nice but I was a little disconcerted to discover that each small bar contains 7.7g of saturated fat, around a quarter of the RDA, so I only have one as an occasional treat.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Agree it's rather nice but I was a little disconcerted to discover that each small bar contains 7.7g of saturated fat, around a quarter of the RDA, so I only have one as an occasional treat.
I fear chocolate does contain quite a bit of saturated fat. That's just its nature.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am new here. Been told I have prediabetes so keen to find out more!

Welcome to the forum @MissieMoo

Sorry to hear that you’ve been told you are at risk of developing diabetes. Has this happened suddenly? Or has it been coming on for some time?

Try not to be disheartened about your new ‘at risk’ status, many people on the forum later reflect that being told this became a catalyst which prompted them to begin to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy. Your body has begin to struggle with the amount of carbohydrate you are eating, and possibly with the weight you are carrying... so moderating the amount of carbs you are eating (not just sweet and sugary things, but starchy carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, bread etc etc too) will help your body deal better with your foods. It’s not that you have to do without all these things completely and forever, just that you need to reduce portion sizes, and find the types and amounts that your body can cope with.

Good luck!