Hi

RecklessGoddess

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all, I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so I am only just learning what I need to do to live with it. My mum was diagnosed 25 years ago and my nan was type 2 as well, so I will have help from my mum to learn all about it.

Welcome to the forum @RecklessGoddess

Sorry you’ve joined the family tradition with your T2, but good that you’ll have their experience and support behind you.

If you would like a good overview of T2 diabetes, to add to the knowledge you’ve already picked up, you might want to register for an account with the Learning Zone (the orange tab in the main menu) which is packed full of informative bite-sized modules. Additionally, for a more personal take, members here frequently recommend Maggie Davey’s Letter to the Newly Diagnosed whuch is one woman’s account of her diagnosis, and things she wishes she’d learned earlier

One of the biggest questions when trying to get to grips with your diabetes is often ‘what can I eat’ and while there are obvious things like cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will want to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits.

That’s not to say you have to avoid those things entirely! But being careful about portion sizes, looking for lower-carb swaps, and some reduced carb meals as part of your overall menu can be really helpful.

As is losing any extra weight if that’s a factor for you. Significant weight loss has been shown to be extremely effective in managing T2, and in some cases can ‘reboot’ the metabolism and improve pancreatic function.

Welcome to the forum @RecklessGoddess

Sorry you’ve joined the family tradition with your T2, but good that you’ll have their experience and support behind you.

If you would like a good overview of T2 diabetes, to add to the knowledge you’ve already picked up, you might want to register for an account with the Learning Zone (the orange tab in the main menu) which is packed full of informative bite-sized modules. Additionally, for a more personal take, members here frequently recommend Maggie Davey’s Letter to the Newly Diagnosed whuch is one woman’s account of her diagnosis, and things she wishes she’d learned earlier

One of the biggest questions when trying to get to grips with your diabetes is often ‘what can I eat’ and while there are obvious things like cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will want to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits.

That’s not to say you have to avoid those things entirely! But being careful about portion sizes, looking for lower-carb swaps, and some reduced carb meals as part of your overall menu can be really helpful.

As is losing any extra weight if that’s a factor for you. Significant weight loss has been shown to be extremely effective in managing T2, and in some cases can ‘reboot’ the metabolism and improve pancreatic function.
Thank you so much, I'll definitely check that out

Thank you so much, I'll definitely check that out
Ideas have changed in recent years as to what is a good approach to reducing your blood glucose as it is now recognised how important diet is in being able to achieve that. It was always thought that people should have carbohydrates with every meal in far larger proportion than is now advisable as it is all carbs that convert to glucose.
By paying attention to your carb intake, recognising what are high carb foods will help.
Many have found the approach in this link successful https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/.
It is low carb but not NO carb, the suggested starting point for reducing carbs is no more than 130g carbs not just sugar per day.
Other people find a low calorie approach works for them but whatever you choose has to be enjoyable otherwise it will not be sustainable.
How much work you need to do will depend on what your HbA1C is and what dietary approach may depend on any medication you have been prescribed, if none or only metformin the the above regimes are suitable.
You never know your Mum may learn something from you.

Back