Hi!

alexcrf

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi! I have been diagnosed as type 1 for two months but due to rubbish doctors, I have only been on treatment/seen by a diabetic team in the last week! Feeling a bit like I’ve been given a new job with no training! I’m only on long acting insulin at the moment, but was under the impression people normally have long and short acting immediately. Am I strange? Or is this normal? Thanks 🙂)

Welcome to the forum, I can't help on that, but someone will be along soon with experience in this area

I’m only on long acting insulin at the moment, but was under the impression people normally have long and short acting immediately.
That's my reading of the general guidance, too, but presumably they've decided you can delay the short acting insulin a little, for some reason.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/Recommendations#diagnosis-and-early-care-plan and https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng18/chapter/Recommendations#type-1-diabetes are the NICE guidelines.
Feeling a bit like I’ve been given a new job with no training!
Completely normal. You should be offered some training, of course. There are books and online sources in the meantime. (See the first thread in the forum for links. Sorry, second pinned thread.)

Hi @alexcrf !

Sorry about your diagnosis and the lack of support/information you've received so far, but welcome to the forum! You might find our Learning Zone useful for that 'new job training' 😉 As for anything and everything else - just ask away! We have a lot of long-time Users here with different stories, experiences and ideas so there will always be someone there to offer their support.

Hi! I have been diagnosed as type 1 for two months but due to rubbish doctors, I have only been on treatment/seen by a diabetic team in the last week! Feeling a bit like I’ve been given a new job with no training! I’m only on long acting insulin at the moment, but was under the impression people normally have long and short acting immediately. Am I strange? Or is this normal? Thanks 🙂)

Welcome @alexcrf 🙂 Yes, most Type 1s have both insulins straightaway. How did you come to be diagnosed? How’s your blood sugar now?

Welcome to the forum @alexcrf . Very pleased that you have found the forum, where there is plenty of support available.

It is indeed like a full time job when you first start, but it does get easier. The best analogy I was given is that it is like learning to drive. It seems very complicated to start with but then a lot of what you do becomes automatic.

It is unusual start with just basal insulin, and having both makes life a lot more flexible. It is a lot more to do, so perhaps they wanted to introduce things step by step, and their decision may depend on how you were diagnosed and what your glucose levels were. If you are happy to do so telling us a bit more about your diagnosis and what insulin you are using can help us respond more effectively to any questions that you have.

As questions arise just ask. Lots of experience to tap into and no questions are considered silly on here.

It does seem overwhelming at first, but it soon becomes normal.
I personally found things got better as soon as i took control and stopped relying on the diabetes team. Obviously thats a balancing act...you need to listen and learn for a while before you can go solo, and be a bit careful who you take advice off ( there are lots of 'gurus' who vary in usefulness)
I heartily recommend the book 'think like a pancreas' but theres only so much you can do til you go on a long acting and quick acting insulin (bolus/ basal)
It does get easier!

Welcome to the forum @alexcrf

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis

The NICE guidance that @Bruce Stephens linked to is worth checking out. It’s written for Drs to describe the best practice, based on the balance of current available evidence. there are versions of the guidance aimed at the general public too it it all gets a bit heavy to wade through.

Forum favourites for newly diagnosed T1s are also

Type 1 Diabetes in Children Adolescents and Young People by Ragnar Hanas - ignore the title, it’s a helpful resource for people of all ages!

and

Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

Plus as @Ieva DUK says, the Learning Zone is a hugely helpful library of information in handy bite-sized chunks 🙂

Last edited:
Back