Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane01

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi I’m jane my husband is type 2 diabetic he has diabetic nurothopy and diabetic macular oedema any advice on this please and diet advice his bloods currently at 61

Welcome @Jane01 🙂 Sorry to hear about your husband’s difficulties. Can I ask if he’s on any medication for the diabetes, and does he check his blood sugar at home?

Hi @Jane01 welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about what your husband is going through. You and your husband are welcome to give our helpline team a call on 0345 123 2399 (Mon to Fri, 9am to 6pm) for a chat and for some support 🙂

Welcome @Jane01 🙂 Sorry to hear about your husband’s difficulties. Can I ask if he’s on any medication for the diabetes, and does he check his blood sugar at home?
He’s on metformin and dapagliflozin and statin no I’ve asked about blood sugars at home but was told it gives a different reading from the test he has hba1c his current level is 61 he was diagnosed in November never seen a GP or diabetic nurse I am in the care profession myself and know a little about diabetes the consultant has put me in charge and he has now had call with gp which was a waste of time in my eyes

He’s on metformin and dapagliflozin and statin no I’ve asked about blood sugars at home but was told it gives a different reading from the test he has hba1c his current level is 61 he was diagnosed in November never seen a GP or diabetic nurse I am in the care profession myself and know a little about diabetes the consultant has put me in charge and he has now had call with gp which was a waste of time in my eyes
Metformin 3 a day and dapagliflozin once a day

Welcome to the forum. The medication should be helping the body cope with the carbohydrates he is eating but there is only so much they can do without reducing intake of carbs.
Yes, a home monitor gives different results because it is giving you a moment in time blood glucose level rather than the average over the previous 3 months and is very useful for testing whether meals are being tolerated and not increasing blood glucose too much. By testing before eating and after 2 hours it will tell you if the meal is ok if the increase is no more than 2-3mmol/l if it is then reducing the portion size of any high carb food or cutting it out will help.
The aim would be to be 4-7mmol/l before meals and no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l 2 hours post meal. The more consistently people are within those parameters the lower their HbA1C will be.
Thus a very useful tool for giving you the control.
Drinking plenty is important with the dapagliflozin as it encourages the kidneys to excrete excess glucose via urine so easy to become dehydrated. I think 3 litres a day is suggested.
Many Type 2s fund a home monitor and choose one with the cheapest test strips GlucoNavii, TEE2 are a couple but worth shopping around.
Many find a low carb approach successful and that is suggested as being no more than 130g total carbs per day. It is not NO carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back