Hi type 2 very poor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin&Ebs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’m a type 2 diabetic who is also suffering from schizophrenia, psoriatic arthritis, asthma and chronic obstructive sleep apnoea my diabetes is very poorly controlled I have not had a reading below 10 this month. And my average for the last 7 days with at least 4 tests a day is 15.9 and my highs have been in the 20s I’ve not had ketones higher than 0.4 but think this is due to drinking anywhere up to 6 litres of water a day I had a rheumatology appointment today and had a steroid injection for active arthritis which will last 6-8 weeks and I know from past experience steroids raise blood sugars

Welcome @Merlin&Ebs 🙂 It must be hard dealing with all those conditions. You’re right that steroids can push your blood sugar up. Are you on any medication for the diabetes? Has that been increased or even changed to help you deal with the high sugars?

Thanks @Inka yes I recently had empagliflozin added into my regime of 2000mg of glucophage which has helped lower some of the readings

Wow you have a plateful of conditions @Merlin&Ebs 😱 I'm not sure congratulations is in order though 🙂
If it were me in your situation I would be asking to go on insulin, Drinking the amount of water you are isn't healthy either and that amount is only due to high blood sugars.
Perhaps ring after hours and ask their advice.

Wow you have a plateful of conditions @Merlin&Ebs 😱 I'm not sure congratulations is in order though 🙂
If it were me in your situation I would be asking to go on insulin, Drinking the amount of water you are isn't healthy either and that amount is only due to high blood sugars.
Perhaps ring after hours and ask their advice.
Thanks @Pumper_Sue im not sure if my dr would appreciate me asking to go on insulin. I’ve had my magnesium levels checked since telling the dr just how much I am drinking a day out of hours won’t do anything unless my blood sugars are over 20 and then if my ketone level isn’t too high they just say we’re not too worried

Thanks @Pumper_Sue im not sure if my dr would appreciate me asking to go on insulin. I’ve had my magnesium levels checked since telling the dr just how much I am drinking a day out of hours won’t do anything unless my blood sugars are over 20 and then if my ketone level isn’t too high they just say we’re not too worried
A normal blood test should be around the 5 mark so you are way above that. So your Dr should listen to your request if not and obviously it's your choice as whether you want to go on insulin ask for a referral to the diabetes clinic.
Being as high as you are and having steroids which will massively increase your numbers is def not good for your long term health, kidneys, heart, sight and vascular will all be affected :(

A normal blood test should be around the 5 mark so you are way above that. So your Dr should listen to your request if not and obviously it's your choice as whether you want to go on insulin ask for a referral to the diabetes clinic.
Being as high as you are and having steroids which will massively increase your numbers is def not good for your long term health, kidneys, heart, sight and vascular will all be affected :(
Yes I know :( but when I call my drs they just say wait until your next hba1c which is not due until the 26th April at the earliest I’m expecting the hba1c to have raised. This last week I’ve been a lot more careful what I’m eating but it’s not reflected in my averages yet my 7 day average is 15.9 still but I’ve had generally lower readings the last 24 hours because I’m scared to eat any carbs really. I’m very unhappy

Yes I know :( but when I call my drs they just say wait until your next hba1c which is not due until the 26th April at the earliest I’m expecting the hba1c to have raised. This last week I’ve been a lot more careful what I’m eating but it’s not reflected in my averages yet my 7 day average is 15.9 still but I’ve had generally lower readings the last 24 hours because I’m scared to eat any carbs really. I’m very unhappy
In my book this is not acceptable,
Put it in writing and send it into your GP. You should not be having to restrict your diet to such an extent. Remember your diabetes is not your fault it's been caused by your medication (Steroids) Don't take no for an answer.

Hi Merlin&Ebs, welcome to the forum.

Sounds as though you've got a lot to contend with atm. I really hope that your GP will be more attentive and look at alternative ways of managing your diabetes as you seem to be doing your best yet the numbers are still not where they could be.

Our helpline will be back in the office from Tuesday so if you'd like to speak with someone directly, please feel free to give our helpline a call on 0345 123 2399.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back