Hi these figures are an estimate of how many injections and blood tests I have had since I was diagnosed with T1 55 years ago

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Issabella From a very late starter compared to you (Dx at 53)

It looks amazing when you read it in such stark numbers.
Congratulations on both your Inspire Award and your Gold medal.
Great to have your experience on here.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
12 months to go for me - I truly hope I can receive it from - at the very least - ONE person who has helped me get this far and stay sane! Which isn't a local Group or even DUK themselves as it happens, though of course the jolly old BDA have always been there even when in Broadsheet format etc - can't say they haven't - but just -not that close

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Issabella

I like those JDRF ‘diabetes by the numbers’ things. They seem to come around annually during Diabetes Awareness Month, and are a really helpful conversation starter.

Huge congratulations on your 50 years! That’s an epic achievement.

Do you know Lis Warren? She has a medallists group (on Facebook I think?) where long-termers can compare experiences :)

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well done on award.

Those figures are incredible, thank goodness for tech like libre & pump availability.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Issabella

I like those JDRF ‘diabetes by the numbers’ things. They seem to come around annually during Diabetes Awareness Month, and are a really helpful conversation starter.

Huge congratulations on your 50 years! That’s an epic achievement.

Do you know Lis Warren? She has a medallists group (on Facebook I think?) where long-termers can compare experiences :)
Question Mike! Do the JDRF numbers take into account the years eg I, was on one jab a day of Ultralente, rather than MDI and does their MDI algorithm use 4 a day with eg Lantus or 5 a day with Levemir?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Question Mike! Do the JDRF numbers take into account the years eg I, was on one jab a day of Ultralente, rather than MDI and does their MDI algorithm use 4 a day with eg Lantus or 5 a day with Levemir?

It’s a good question, and I confess I don’t know the answer. I would imagine they have aimed for a sort of ‘average person’ based on data in the literature or possibly previously published National Diabetes Audit stuff?

There are questions you answer to come up with the panel of numbers, but Incan’t remember quite what they are now as it’s a few years since I did mine.

It’s only an approximation though of course... not least because every individual’s patterns of behaviour change over time!