Hi there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome @louelwell and sorry you’ve had to join us. The first few months of Type 1 are hard, but it does gradually get easier, I promise. Some of that is because you get the hang of the practicalities better, but also you get more used to the diagnosis. It does affect you emotionally and that’s ok. You’re not alone in it getting to you, but you’ll get a good approach to it over time. Take one day at a time and remember there are many people just like you. There are lots of friendly, supportive Type 1s here so moan away, chat, ask questions (nothing is ‘silly’ or trivial).

What insulins do you take? Do you have a Libre?

Welcome @louelwell and sorry you’ve had to join us. The first few months of Type 1 are hard, but it does gradually get easier, I promise. Some of that is because you get the hang of the practicalities better, but also you get more used to the diagnosis. It does affect you emotionally and that’s ok. You’re not alone in it getting to you, but you’ll get a good approach to it over time. Take one day at a time and remember there are many people just like you. There are lots of friendly, supportive Type 1s here so moan away, chat, ask questions (nothing is ‘silly’ or trivial).

What insulins do you take? Do you have a Libre?

Thank you for your message and support! I hope it does become second nature after a while. I took to it really well at first but over the last couple of weeks it's become very overwhelming for me.

I'm on Novorapid 3-5 units with meals (not dose adjusting/carb counting just yet), Lantus 12 units and yes I have the Libre which has made monitoring a lot easier, especially in work.

Carb-counting will make your life more flexible. It used to be taught at diagnosis, but some places delay it now. It’s not actually hard and it helps a lot. You can begin to look at what you’re eating now carb-wise to get a feel for it. There are also online courses like BERTIE

I think at first you get on with things but then it gradually dawns on you that it’s not going away (yet). So that’s another stage you have to pass through. It’s like a journey to being at peace with it (well, as much as you can be). It will gradually recede into the background more.

Hi, my name is Louise, I'm 29 and I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic 9 weeks ago. I'm finally joining the forum as I'm starting to mentally struggle with it all so I wanted to speak to like minded people who also understand
Hi Louise, and welcome to the forum.

We're really glad you're here as understanding your condition, and chatting to others with similar experiences, can help make things simpler for you. It's a really friendly community too. There's a lot of off-topic threads as well, if you feel you need a change of scene.

We're here for support at every step of the way, and please feel free to post as much as you would like about how you're feeling, and ask any questions you may have 🙂

Wishing you all the best from us all at Diabetes UK

Last edited:
Hi Louise - don't be afraid to show your emotions and if you either need to rant and rave, scream at the top of your voice, burst into tears or slam a door - DO IT ! (within reason 😉 ) (You'll now tell me you work in a Library, a hospital or you're an exam invigilator ....) But anyway let your emotions out when you need to cos there's only one person who'll suffer if you don't and I bet you know who that is.

You must have all sorts of what you may think are daft questions - I assure you that everybody does - but the difference here is - we answer them all truthfully anyway! (It may have been 50+ years since I was in your boat, but Oh yes I do remember what that was like - and empathise.)

It does become second nature. Any questons, ask away, or if you want to show us uour libre graphs we are a nebby lot and vould come ip with some suggestions
Btw it may be woth screen shotting some libre graphs for yourself, so you can see how you progress which can be very motivating (libre only keeps 3 months of data)

Welcome to the forum @louelwell

Sorry you’ve had to join us, but glad you have found the forum. It can be so helpful to have friendly folks who ‘get it’, and who are facing the same challenges every day.

Btw it may be woth screen shotting some libre graphs for yourself, so you can see how you progress which can be very motivating (libre only keeps 3 months of data)

If you upload your reader to Librelink, or use the phone and app you will be able to view your historic data that gets uploaded to your account 🙂

Hi there @louelwell and welcome. 🙂 Sorry to hear you’re struggling mentally. It’s tough at first, but it’s great to be among people that understand what you’re going through - glad you found us! 🙂

Hello Louise,

I am sorry to hear your type 1 at such a young age.

I was diagnosed as type 1 in December last year, after thinking I was type 2. Originally on metformin tablets but it took all year to discover I was type 1. I didn’t show normal signs of type one, they thought it was cancer but four days before Christmas the results of a ct scan confirmed I was type one and didn’t have cancer, it was a relief. I had lost three stone in weight. Going onto insulin was bittersweet but it did make me feel better .

This is my first time writing on the forum and it’s nice to be with other diabetics, some days I do find it difficult which you’ve said you do too, I’d like to tell you it gets better but I’m still new to this myself and still learning, all I can say that is some days are better than others. Be kind to yourself, rest when you need to if you can and take each day as it comes.
Wishing you all the best.

Hi Louise - don't be afraid to show your emotions and if you either need to rant and rave, scream at the top of your voice, burst into tears or slam a door - DO IT ! (within reason 😉 ) (You'll now tell me you work in a Library, a hospital or you're an exam invigilator ....) But anyway let your emotions out when you need to cos there's only one person who'll suffer if you don't and I bet you know who that is.

You must have all sorts of what you may think are daft questions - I assure you that everybody does - but the difference here is - we answer them all truthfully anyway! (It may have been 50+ years since I was in your boat, but Oh yes I do remember what that was like - and empathise.)
Funnily enough I do work in a hospital haha!

Thank you everyone for your input, it's nice to feel like I'm not so alone in this. I don't have anyone to speak to who is also diabetic so as much as I talk about it, no one quite "gets it". I have depression as well so managing that and a new diabetes diagnosis is becoming a bit of a struggle some days. I was just talking to my work colleagues and I could feel myself welling up talking about my diabetes. I just feel like I'm never going to get used to this

Funnily enough I do work in a hospital haha!

Thank you everyone for your input, it's nice to feel like I'm not so alone in this. I don't have anyone to speak to who is also diabetic so as much as I talk about it, no one quite "gets it". I have depression as well so managing that and a new diabetes diagnosis is becoming a bit of a struggle some days. I was just talking to my work colleagues and I could feel myself welling up talking about my diabetes. I just feel like I'm never going to get used to this
Just wanted to say hello as I’m a recently diagnosed type 1, 30 and also suffer from depression so I can definitely relate to you. I try and take each day as it comes at the moment, which I find does help me not get totally overwhelmed

Hi Louise,

I was diagnosed last year at the age of 30, and as I approach my first “diaversary”, I promise it does get easier. This forum has been invaluable for my mental health (had a big spell away and didn’t realise the reassurance I gained from it) - whilst I felt utterly lost at first I now feel “normal” again (sure many I know would disagree :rofl: o_O), but yes, ask away, there’s such a range of experiences on here that it is absolutely fab for advice, rants etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back