Hi, relatively new to this!

Hoody

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone,

Diagnosed at the end of June, totally unexpected, no symptoms at all. I was been looked at for something else which is still going on but totally unconnected to Diabetes but found in the bloods tested. Really struggling to get to grips with what I should be doing so I have ended up with a complete fear of food now. Hoping to steadily learn by joining this forum and gaining some tips along the way.🙂

Welcome @Hoody 🙂 Don’t be scared of food. You can still eat well with a bit of extra thought and care. Do you know what your HbA1C was at diagnosis? Have you been put on meds for the diabetes?

Hello everyone,

Diagnosed at the end of June, totally unexpected, no symptoms at all. I was been looked at for something else which is still going on but totally unconnected to Diabetes but found in the bloods tested. Really struggling to get to grips with what I should be doing so I have ended up with a complete fear of food now. Hoping to steadily learn by joining this forum and gaining some tips along the way.🙂
Hi what were your test results that gave the diagnoses - that knowledge will indicate the journey you have to take.

Welcome @Hoody 🙂 Don’t be scared of food. You can still eat well with a bit of extra thought and care. Do you know what your HbA1C was at diagnosis? Have you been put on meds for the diabetes?
Hi, it was 50. Because of the stomach issues I have been having, my Diabetic Nurse didn't want to start me on metformin so I have been on nothing as yet. I had my first bloods done yesterday since diagnosis so I am really interested to see what they come out at. My blood pressure is normal, cholesterol all normal but the Nurse was keen to put me on meds for either of those two which puzzled me. Everything I always believed to be good foods seem to have been blown out of the water by the Nurse. ( I have always been very aware of bad foods having been a dieter all of my adult life pretty much)

50 is low on the Diabetic scale, diet and exercise would be my first approach retest in 3 months - were you diagnosed with just one blood test?

50 is only just a step over the line into diabetes territory so it's strange that your DN was even considering starting you on Metformin before giving lifestyle changes a chance - diet, being more active and (if needed) losing some weight. That approach has worked, and continues to work, for many of us.

50 is only just a step over the line into diabetes territory so it's strange that your DN was even considering starting you on Metformin before giving lifestyle changes a chance - diet, being more active and (if needed) losing some weight. That approach has worked, and continues to work, for many of us.
This is what most people are telling me, I feel like the Nurse went in really hard on me and the medication side of it seemed extremely excessive. I went into my shell after the first appointment and I haven't even told my family about my diagnosis. Since the end of July I have lost well over 1st so I am really hoping that helps

Weight loss should help (if you need to lose weight). As said, you’re only just in the diabetes zone, so some small sustained changes should help you 🙂

Hi and welcome from me too.

Well done on your impressive weight loss/ Do you have any/much more to lose?

What sort of dietary advice did your nurse give you?

Hi, it was 50. Because of the stomach issues I have been having, my Diabetic Nurse didn't want to start me on metformin so I have been on nothing as yet. I had my first bloods done yesterday since diagnosis so I am really interested to see what they come out at. My blood pressure is normal, cholesterol all normal but the Nurse was keen to put me on meds for either of those two which puzzled me. Everything I always believed to be good foods seem to have been blown out of the water by the Nurse. ( I have always been very aware of bad foods having been a dieter all of my adult life pretty much)
There are no really good or bad foods - not if you can cope with them, and some people can.
You are really low down in the diabetes range - with proper advice I am sure your first days would have been a lot easier. I often sigh at how people are maltreated in their first experiences of diabetes, particularly type 2s.
At least you have avoided Metformin.
I reduced my carb intake and was back to normal very quickly, even though my starting HbA1c was 91.
It might not even be necessary for you to test after eating if you identify the carbs in your diet and decide where to make changes. I cut out all the high carb 'healthy' options and decided to avoid seed oils, and I've been fine for years.

It seems to be an automatic reaction to throw medication at people without first giving them opportunity to make some dietary changes that will make all the difference so well done for resisting. In my personal opinion if cholesterol is normal then no real need for statins and if blood pressure is normal then more harm than good could be done by blood pressure medication as losing weight will often put that right anyway.
By making good food choices then it is perfectly possible to have tasty filling meals. Have a look at this link to give you some ideas of just what variety you can have.
https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I hope your upcoming repeat test will give positive outcome but you have to find a sustainable way of eating for the long term and that has to be one that you enjoy and not be scared of.

Hi @Hoody and welcome!

I'll second what everyone else is saying in encouraging you to perhaps take a look at what you're eating and go from there. Sometimes, when diagnosed, people tend to go to extremes and give in to a rollercoaster type of approach, going 'all or nothing' approach towards food. It all very much depends on your own body, your daily activities and such. The general consensus is to reduce your carb intake, some people go low carb, others apply a Mediterranean style diet, but you need to find something that works for you and your lifestyle. The changes need to be long lasting, something that you enjoy and doesn't feel like you're punishing yourself. Just be kind to yourself and take it one day at a time. <3

Back