Hi, newly diagnosed Type 2 at 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

anxiousgeek

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I'm Ren (they/them), I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this week. I originally went to the GP about something else and in the process, they discovered that my blood sugar level had gone from 34 to 61 in a year. They retested and it was 64. I forget what the test is called.

My great aunt was type 1, and my nan developed type 2 after drinking a bottle of sherry every day for about 20 years. So it's in the family, and I'm overweight, and always have been. Other than my weight and my mental health I'm mostly healthy (well, my knees are a bit dodgy). Or was I guess.

I turned 39 two weeks ago or so. The diabetic nurse said that was young but then she probably doesn't have my knees or my mental health lol.

I've decided only to tell a few people for now as I get my head around it, and to prepare myself for all the people who will have opinions about what I eat. So far, besides my wife, only my boss and my best friends know. Oh and my sister. My wife and my (almost) five year old are super supportive. She already has plans and has roped my kids in :D

I'm going on Metformin, and I'm going to come off my Duloxetine as the diabetic nurse said one of the side effects is raised blood sugar levels. It wasn't really doing much except give me brain zaps.

Anyway, I live in Wales, with my wife and my two kid (nearly 5 and nearly 1) and work in admin for a domestic abuse charity.

Just saying hi really.

Hello and welcome! Your 64 sounds like your HbA1c blood test. - many on this forum discover their diabetes much further on and far higher scores *waves*. Any score above 48 is diabetes territory.

Hope the Metformin works for you. It's great that your little family are on board to support you - don't try to bring your BGs down too quickly or you could affect your fine blood vessels and cause some damage - particularly to your eyes. Make lots of small changes gradually.

It really helps to keep a (brutal) food diary for a few weeks noting everything and paying attention to carbohydrates in particular - they get in all sorts of things. Has your GP given you any advice re home testing your blood glucose with a spot testing meter?

Have a hunt round the forum - there is loads of distilled wisdom around and ask any questions you want.

Your reading has gone up in a short period of time - have you been ill or losing weight without intending to or anything? You mentioned being seen for another issue.

The plan I was given was metformin for three months, then recheck my bloods, and check my feet, cholesterol and blood pressure etc. I was kinda surprised no one was concerned it had jumped up so high. It was last taken when I was in the hospital with my gall bladder pre-pandemic. Not much has changed for me since then, I've put on a bit of weight but my weight is always up and down. I got new meds in November for my depression cause my mental health plummeted, my wife had a baby, but I still went to work every day.

I originally went to the GP cause for the past four weeks I've been having intermittent fevers. I'll have a high temperature for a few days, then feel okay for a day or so, and there are no other persistent symptoms other than bone-deep exhaustion. I thought it might be anaemia again or just the fact that I have an 11-month-old who hates sleep.

And I've taken so many Covid tests that I'm getting nosebleeds at the thought of them. They took bloods and discovered the high blood sugar and basically everyone forgot about the reason I went there. I had to call the doctor and say like "I get I have diabetes and that's fine, we'll deal with that but it's no good if the fevers kill me off first." He's sent me for more blood tests (which is not fun cause holy crap my veins are awful) and an ultrasound on the one very specific spot that hurt when he pressed it lol.

That's a lot going on! I'm wondering if it's your depression medication. I know steroids can play havoc with blood sugar levels so it's not unreasonable that other drugs might. It's worthwhile getting hold of a copy of this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Year-Patient-Expert-Diagnosed-Essential/dp/1841198048
From memory there is a whole section on meds that disagree or cause diabetes.
Has anyone checked your Vit D levels as well? Glad it's not Covid though!

The good news is that if you change your diet so you are avoiding seed oils as part of eating low carb with the natural fats in the foods, your joints might improve. I was certainly creaking following the 'cholesterol lowering' diet the GP insisted was healthy.
Six months later and I went out at dawn to dance in the Summer on Mayday It might also at least help with your mental problems - I know that I have coped with life's little ups and downs far better when eating low carb.

Welcome to the forum @anxiousgeek

Sorry to hear about the tough time you have been having. :(

Diabetes is a serious condition, but fortunately(?!) it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy.

Try not to be too disheartened by your diagnosis, many people on the forum later reflect that their diagnosis became a catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Perhaps changes that they had been intending to make for years. Often you don’t realise how weary, worn down and lethargic you have been feeling until things start to lift.

Erratic and elevated blood glucose levels can be exhausting and are linked with low mood, but this may have come on quite gradually and have been tricky to spot alongside your other MH challenges. Making a few positive changes can give you more energy, a clearer mind, and a brighter outlook. Plus the regular checks you get after a diagnosis with diabetes mean that any potential problems may be spotted earlier, and can be sorted out sooner 🙂

When it comes to managing your diabetes, it’s best to make changes to your menu and activity levels gradually - partly because they need to be sustainable long term, but also because very rapid and sudden changes to blood glucose levels are harder on the fine blood vessels, and changing things more gently will give your body time to adapt.

There are obvious things like cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will want to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits. Often people find cutting back a little on their carbohydrate intake for improved blood glucose levels has the benefit of reducing weight, while for others it works the other way around and a calorie-restricted weight loss plan helps them lose weight which improves their BG levels.

It‘s all about finding the right approach for you as an individual - and it needs to be one that you can sustain long-term.

Good luck, and ask away with any questions you have 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back