Hi newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kath736

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have Fibromyalgia, a colostomy and now type 2 thrown in the mix. Finding it hard to find a diet that accommodates all three. Any advice welcome.
Katherine

Hello and welcome. What dietary restrictions do you have from the fibro and the colostomy? That will help with ideas of how to balance the 3.

I have Fibromyalgia, a colostomy and now type 2 thrown in the mix. Finding it hard to find a diet that accommodates all three. Any advice welcome.
Katherine
Welcome to the forum.
Lucy beat me to it with her question.
If you are able to give a bit more information about your diagnosis , what your HbA1C is as that will give an indication about how much you will need to modify your diet. The first thing is to look at your intake of sugary foods like cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks but also all carbohydrates as they convert to glucose.

Also, what medication have you been given for diabetes if any, as that may impact on people's suggestions too?

Hello and welcome. What dietary restrictions do you have from the fibro and the colostomy? That will help with ideas of how to balance the 3.
For the Fibro the exercise is deadly for triggering a flare. Some days I feel good and it’s hard not to overdo. For the Colostomy so many foods can cause blockages.

Also, what medication have you been given for diabetes if any, as that may impact on people's suggestions too?
I have just started on Metformin today.
I am a little worried because I noticed they are film coated so hoping it won’t go straight through the colostomy

Which foods are they?
Apple peel,raw cabbage, celery, Chinese veg,whole kernels of corn,coconut, dried fruits,mushrooms,oranges,nuts,pineapple,popcorn
Also been advised to avoid lettuce and cooked cabbage among others

Apple peel,raw cabbage, celery, Chinese veg,whole kernels of corn,coconut, dried fruits,mushrooms,oranges,nuts,pineapple,popcorn
There’s plenty of fruit, veg, meat, fish, eggs, whole grains, dairy etc you can eat then. I can’t remember the last time I ate any of the things on your list other than lettuce.

Welcome to the forum.
Lucy beat me to it with her question.
If you are able to give a bit more information about your diagnosis , what your HbA1C is as that will give an indication about how much you will need to modify your diet. The first thing is to look at your intake of sugary foods like cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks but also all carbohydrates as they convert to glucose.
I have no idea what HbA1C is I have to see the diabetes nurse on Wednesday so hopefully will be able to answer then. Until then I am on my own

There’s plenty of fruit, veg, meat, fish, eggs, whole grains, dairy etc you can eat then. I can’t remember the last time I ate any of the things on your list other than lettuce.
Grains can be a problem. Believe it or not I even have to mash my peas

It sounds as if there will be plenty you can have then, meat, fish, eggs, cheese. dairy. If you are OK with other veg, they can always be made into soups.
Have a look at this link as it may give you some ideas for meals that would be suitable. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

My ex husband was a fish monger when we first wed so the smell of fresh fish has me gagging.
I do love chicken and quite like a nice pork chop

I have no idea what HbA1C is I have to see the diabetes nurse on Wednesday so hopefully will be able to answer then. Until then I am on my own
The HbA1C is the test that would have been done to give you your diagnosis and is an average of your blood glucose over the previous 3 months. How high it is will indicate how much work you will need to do.

My ex husband was a fish monger when we first wed so the smell of fresh fish has me gagging.
I do love chicken and quite like a nice pork chop
I can understand that. All meat is OK even high meat content sausages.

No need to eat much grains if they don’t agree with you, and mash your peas if it helps

Butternut squash, celeriac and swede are good alternatives for potatoes and cauliflower or broccoli cheese are good low carb veg if they would suit you.
I make soups, broccoli and stilton, butternut squash and red pepper or leek and pea are some of my favourites.

I have just started on Metformin today.
I am a little worried because I noticed they are film coated so hoping it won’t go straight through the colostomy
I have had a terrible night. Vomiting started around 4am my colostomy bag exploded around 6am
Now frightened to eat or drink. I don’t think metformin is going to work for me.

Oh! Goodness! I am so sorry to read this. That must be awful! Did you take the metformin with plenty of food, ideally in the middle of a meal to help protect your stomach?
Are they the slow release version or the normal ones. I am not sure if the slow release will be suitable if you have a colostomy but it is something to ask about. I know the coating on them can become like a sweetcorn kernel which I imagine could possible block your stoma. There are plenty of other diabetes medications so do speak to your GP or nurse to get something else sorted. Sending (((HUGS))) because it sounds like you have a lot to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back