Hi newbie here! Need some tips on carry cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeEGGY

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on carry cases.

I am looking for one small one that can fit in my pocket, which has room for pens, rubbish etc

I am also looking for an all in once case for holidays that can store anything and everything (cold packs etc)

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on carry cases.

I am looking for one small one that can fit in my pocket, which has room for pens, rubbish etc

I am also looking for an all in once case for holidays that can store anything and everything (cold packs etc)
I use a pencil case for holidays, or when I'm taking a large enough bag out with me. I don't have anything small enough for a pocket that would fit everything in that I need. If I'm out and about, either I deploy bits and bobs round various trouser/skirt or coat pockets, or I use a bum bag, or a Spibelt if I'm exercising, so nothing gets shaken up and down.

Do you use cool packs etc when you go away?
I've got a Frio pouch, which you soak in cold water, which then cools by evaporation.
It needs to be ventilated, though, to work. The pencil case I use has mesh sides, so evaporation can take place. Or I keep it loose in my handbag with insulin pens and spare cartridges in.

Ok great, I was considering just using a pencil case and cold pakcs
If you mean the little freezer blocks, they can freeze the insulin if you get them too close,( I do use them in a picnic bag, and have been known to put my insulin pen in with the picnic, well insulated away from the block by a sandwich, but it's not recommended!)

Welcome to the forum LukeEGGY.
A pencil case for insulin in use. Other cartridges in a plastic tub to prevent damage. With bubble wrap to stop them shaking around. When travelling in hot places, I ensure insulin is never left in direct sunshine, nor left near a radiator or near engine in luggage hold of bus etc.
Even during 1 month expedition in Central America, 4 month long expeditions in South America and 1 - 2 week trips to North Africa and Middle East, I've never used a Frio. A stainless steel vacuum flask works fine - I renew water from fridge or cool stream whenever possible.
Sharps go into a 35mm film pot. Safe rubbish goes into a food wrapper until I see a bin.

Hello @LukeEGGY

I was always a pencil case user too. Insulin pens 'in use' do not need to be kept refrigerated. Insulin is good for 28 days at room temperature.

As Copepod suggests, you might need to take extra precautions for transporting and storing insulin in very hot 'off grid' locations, but even on holiday the time spent in transit is usually not enough to worry about if you have refrigeration wherever you arrive for storing spares. And 'in use' is fine out of the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back