Hi me again maybe a tmi post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbemcc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone been a rebel and just stopped metformin. For the 200th time I’ve had to get off a bus and find a toilet.
Sick of it I know you can’t give medical advice. Has anyone felt the same.

Thanks

Are you on or have you tried the slow release variant?
Was much better for me..

Which make of slow release were you on @Anbemcc ? I am fine on Glucophage but Sukkarto was a disaster.

So sorry to hear that you are having such difficulties. It is unreasonable for your health care professionals to expect you to continue with it when you are experiencing such problems, so you really should let them know how troubling the side effects are.
There have been several cases reported on the forum where just a change of brand has made a big difference as @Pattidevans has found. Some people have been fine on it for weeks or months and then the pharmacy dispensed a different brand instead of their usual, or people were swapped brands because they were having problems with one particular type and obviously the option of swapping to a slow release version is the usual solution but even then, the brand can still make a difference. I believe the coating and binding agents with this particular medication can be as relevant as the active ingredient, so do discuss it with your HCPs.
If you want an example of a "rebel" who just ditched them, then @Drummer springs to mind.
I think if you are going to ditch them, then it is probably more important to make dietary changes your priority and to monitor your levels to help fine tune your diet more closely.

I've just switched from metformin today to gliclazide due to side effects. Mine were more immediate ones but having to get off a bus and run to the loo is still something that is unreasonable to be expected to live with.

I was asked to come off metformin over the weekend entirely and start again yesterday on a single tablet vs the usual 2. (That lasted a whole 8 hours before the cramps and bloat started again). I wasn't even offered slow release metformin.

Give them a call, a phone consult would probably be enough for them to discuss with you and sort something out 🙂
I made it clear to the receptionist that I was having side effect for my diabetes medications and was unsure if I should take the next dose or not. That prompted them into getting someone to call me back (I don't usually play that particular card but it was later on in the day on a Friday).

gliclazide comes with a risk of hypo and requires testing - just so you know that might be a decision you may be faced with if that's what your health boards pathways suggest (if it isn't down to a change of brand of metformin).

Let us know how you get on.

I've just switched from metformin today to gliclazide due to side effects. Mine were more immediate ones but having to get off a bus and run to the loo is still something that is unreasonable to be expected to live with.

I was asked to come off metformin over the weekend entirely and start again yesterday on a single tablet vs the usual 2. (That lasted a whole 8 hours before the cramps and bloat started again). I wasn't even offered slow release metformin.

Give them a call, a phone consult would probably be enough for them to discuss with you and sort something out 🙂
I made it clear to the receptionist that I was having side effect for my diabetes medications and was unsure if I should take the next dose or not. That prompted them into getting someone to call me back (I don't usually play that particular card but it was later on in the day on a Friday).

gliclazide comes with a risk of hypo and requires testing - just so you know that might be a decision you may be faced with if that's what your health boards pathways suggest (if it isn't down to a change of brand of metformin).

Let us know how you get on.
Ty I’m going to give them a call I can’t live like this. I halted my bg I’m happy to go without not sure they will let me. Surely that’s my choice

Ty I’m going to give them a call I can’t live like this. I halted my bg I’m happy to go without not sure they will let me. Surely that’s my choice
Of course it is your choice whether you take medication or not. They can't make you, but if you need medication and the current one is causing such difficult side effects then they should be offering you an alternative. It all comes down to whether or not you really need medication.
I am not sure what you mean by "I halted my bg"? What was your most recent HbA1c result?

Of course it is your choice whether you take medication or not. They can't make you, but if you need medication and the current one is causing such difficult side effects then they should be offering you an alternative. It all comes down to whether or not you really need medication.
I am not sure what you mean by "I halted my bg"? What was your most recent HbA1c result?
I was 89 and it’s down to 49 my next 1 is in march

I decided to stop the tablets after 5 weeks or so as I did all the Christmas shopping twice in 2016 - being something of a Stoic with the physical symptoms from Metformin and Atorvastatin, but in the previous week I had begun to consider suicide as my mind was failing me.
I was already eating a low carb diet, having burnt the diet sheets I'd been following for almost 2 years and gone back to Atkins.
When tested after 80 days from diagnosis I was no longer diabetic. Hba1c 47.
At 6 months it was 41.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back