Hi im recently diagnosed with type 2

ShirleyD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 and nafld around 6 weeks ago I was given medication and not very much support or advice from gp can anyone help please

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there and welcome to the forum

We aren't medically trained so if your questions are full on medication then you really must call your GP to ask but if there is anything specific you want to ask here then go ahead xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Shirley and welcome. Sorry to hear that you have the big "D" but you have come to the right place for help and support.

How did you come to be diagnosed? Was it just a routine blood test/check up or were you symptomatic.

I am sure we will be able to help but a bit more info from you would mean we can make our advice more appropriate to your circumstances...
For instance, do you know your HbA1c reading.... this is usually a number of 48 or above since you have been diagnosed as diabetic and can be well into 3 digits if things have gone seriously wrong! The reading gives us an idea of where on the diabetic scale you are.
Also, what medication have you been given and what dosage?
It helps to know if you need to lose weight and if so, roughly how much?

Whilst it is pretty overwhelming to start with and there is a lot to take in, there are some of us who feel that our diagnosis has given us the impetus we needed to follow a healthier lifestyle and diet which has then had other health benefits, so there certainly can be silver linings to a diagnosis. I no longer get migraines which were a severe and chronic problem pre lifestyle change and I have much less joint pain since changing my diet. Yes diabetes is a pain in the backside but it keeps me on the straight and narrow and I get regular health checks and free prescriptions as a result so not all bad.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the Shirley from a fellow T2.
What meds are you on? Do you know what you're HbA1c is?
I'd suggest self testing to see what affect your food has on your blood glucose (BG) levels; along with any changes you make. Keep a food diary, along with a record of your levels. After a few weeks you should start to see a pattern, and be able to make changes. Something worth noting at the moment is that the heat can have an effect on your BG levels.

Lorilo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 and nafld around 6 weeks ago I was given medication and not very much support or advice from gp can anyone help please
Hi Shirley I have also recently been diagnosed with type 2 and similarly no support from my GP surgery. Thankfully having joined DUK I have found forum members to be so very helpful so I am sure you will find the same. I have however rang my GP again today and insisted that she give me an appointment as I am suffering from numbness in both feet and hands. I fear it takes a bit of nudging these days to get anywhere!

ShirleyD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Shirley and welcome. Sorry to hear that you have the big "D" but you have come to the right place for help and support.

How did you come to be diagnosed? Was it just a routine blood test/check up or were you symptomatic.

I am sure we will be able to help but a bit more info from you would mean we can make our advice more appropriate to your circumstances...
For instance, do you know your HbA1c reading.... this is usually a number of 48 or above since you have been diagnosed as diabetic and can be well into 3 digits if things have gone seriously wrong! The reading gives us an idea of where on the diabetic scale you are.
Also, what medication have you been given and what dosage?
It helps to know if you need to lose weight and if so, roughly how much?

Whilst it is pretty overwhelming to start with and there is a lot to take in, there are some of us who feel that our diagnosis has given us the impetus we needed to follow a healthier lifestyle and diet which has then had other health benefits, so there certainly can be silver linings to a diagnosis. I no longer get migraines which were a severe and chronic problem pre lifestyle change and I have much less joint pain since changing my diet. Yes diabetes is a pain in the backside but it keeps me on the straight and narrow and I get regular health checks and free prescriptions as a result so not all bad.
Hi ther rebrascora I think the hba1c reading wud be 67 buy i dnt no wot it means im on meteoric 500mg twice daily. Since my diagnosis I have lost just under 2 and a half stone which I am very happy with but I am starving thers no support or advice from gp I was given a booklet with a traffic light system and told everything I eat has to be all green. It is very difficult to find all green and ive been in tears over it i have been reading a few posts and see ther is a lot on low carb is this woy I need to follow. Thankyou

ShirleyD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Shirley I have also recently been diagnosed with type 2 and similarly no support from my GP surgery. Thankfully having joined DUK I have found forum members to be so very helpful so I am sure you will find the same. I have however rang my GP again today and insisted that she give me an appointment as I am suffering from numbness in both feet and hands. I fear it takes a bit of nudging these days to get anywhere!
Hi lorilo im sorry to hear that I hope you will get the support needed yh its terrible eh i was given meds and a booklet n told they will see me in 6 months I am struggl

ShirleyD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the Shirley from a fellow T2.
What meds are you on? Do you know what you're HbA1c is?
I'd suggest self testing to see what affect your food has on your blood glucose (BG) levels; along with any changes you make. Keep a food diary, along with a record of your levels. After a few weeks you should start to see a pattern, and be able to make changes. Something worth noting at the moment is that the heat can have an effect on your BG levels.
Hi Ralph-YK I have a blood checker for diabetes but dnt no wot it shud be reading it started at 11 then down to 9 then 6 what should it be please

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi ther rebrascora I think the hba1c reading wud be 67 buy i dnt no wot it means im on meteoric 500mg twice daily. Since my diagnosis I have lost just under 2 and a half stone which I am very happy with but I am starving thers no support or advice from gp I was given a booklet with a traffic light system and told everything I eat has to be all green. It is very difficult to find all green and ive been in tears over it i have been reading a few posts and see ther is a lot on low carb is this woy I need to follow. Thankyou
Congratulations on the weight loss.

Yes, it’s about carbs. There’s plenty of information here about keeping a food diary and using a meter to measure your blood glucose (BG) before and after you’ve eaten as we all react differently.

Lots of help, welcome.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Ralph-YK I have a blood checker for diabetes but dnt no wot it shud be reading it started at 11 then down to 9 then 6 what should it be please
Initially, look at what is making a big difference to your BG level. For example, breakfast ceriel caused a rise for me of 6.7. (Difference between before and after food readings.) Whereas a sandwich caused a rise of 2.5.
What happens for you could be different and individual. You've to look at what causes a rise of more than 3.
It's possible exercise could make a difference. And drinking a lot of water, so I've heard. Though I don't actually know.

You've also to remember that the finger prick test gives your BG level at that moment. This will change throughout the day, and from day to day. And from person to person.

[Edited]

Last edited:

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think the hba1c reading wud be 67
The HbA1c is an average covering 3 months.
Ranges for the HbA1c are:
30(?) to 41 "normal"
42 to 47 is called pre diabetes.
48 and above gets you a diagnoses of diabetes (even if you go down below this you're still down as a diabetic)

People on the forum have been diagnosed with levels ranging from 48-66, up to around 100 and above.

ShirleyD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The HbA1c is an average covering 3 months.
Ranges for the HbA1c are:
30(?) to 41 "normal"
42 to 47 is called pre diabetes.
48 and above gets you a diagnoses of diabetes (even if you go down below this you're still down as a diabetic)

People on the forum have been diagnosed with levels ranging from 48-66, up to around 100 and above.
Thankyou this is a help i will try this tomorrow and will let you know what it is before breakfast then after

ShirleyD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Congratulations on the weight loss.

Yes, it’s about carbs. There’s plenty of information here about keeping a food diary and using a meter to measure your blood glucose (BG) before and after you’ve eaten as we all react differently.

Lots of help, welcome.
Thankyou im happy with the weight loss but its so hard so how many carbs per day is classed as low carb.. ive been doing 50 to 100 a day

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou im happy with the weight loss but its so hard so how many carbs per day is classed as low carb.. ive been doing 50 to 100 a day
Hi, Shirley. Less than 130g per day is generally considered to be Low Carb.

Martin

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The traffic light system on packaging is useless to diabetics, totally irrelevant.
We can eat meat, fish and other seafood, eggs, cheese, low carb nuts, low carb berries, and vegetables, salad and stirfry seem to work well, but it is not really about 'doing low carb' - you need to find out what you can eat and keep to normal blood sugar levels.
The NAFLD should reduce with having less glucose to try to store - it isn't caused by eating fats.

ShirleyD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is there anyone that has NAFLD with diabetes type 2 that I could maybe private message.
there seems to me so much help and advice out there , but there is a lot that diabetics can eat but I can’t eat with nafld I really need a bit of help

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @ShirleyD and welcome to the forum. :) If I haven't said hello already that is. High bg destroys memory!

I think a diet that would help type 2 would also help nafld, it's just fatty liver isn't it? Soon sort that out with low carb or the 800 or fast diets. It's when you go beyond that like me that one is doomed! :D I regret not getting a handle on it when I 'only' had fatty liver!

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi again Shirley. Sorry to hear that you are still feeling a bit confused about how to tackle this.

As @Ditto has said, following a low carb way of eating will help to manage your BG levels and improve your fatty liver condition.
The Fast 800 is an 800 calorie a day short term diet plan for rapid weight loss.... not for the faint hearted and usually involves meal replacement shakes for at least part of it. It is not recommended for everyone and should really only be undertaken after discussion with your GP.
Most people here find that just following a low carb way of eating leads to both weight loss, particularly of visceral fat like you have with nafld and lower Blood Glucose levels to improve diabetes management and it is sustainable and quite enjoyable once you get your head around it, but it does involve cutting right back on carb rich foods like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and breakfast cereals as well as cakes and biscuits. The first few weeks are hard work but that is the same for any diet. Once you significantly reduce your carb intake, your body stops craving them and providing you eat a bit more protein and fat at the same time as cutting the carbs you stop feeling hungry all the time which is quite liberating.

The best way to get started is to keep an honest food diary of everything you eat and drink in a day and work out how many grams of carbohydrates you are eating in a day and then figure out how you can reduce that by making low carb choices instead..... so if you currently have toast for breakfast.... there are about 15g carbs per slice in medium sliced bread (20g each in thick slice).... that's 30-40g for 2 slices and then you have to think about what you have on it.... butter doesn't really have any carbs so that is OK but what about jam or marmalade.. that contains a lot of sugar which is carbohydrate. Do you have sugar and milk in your tea or coffee? Obviously sugar is 100% carbohydrate but milk contains a small amount of lactose which is a sugar but if you have 5 or 6 cups of tea or coffee a day, that lactose all adds up to extra carbs.... so you see how carbs can all add up very quickly. I am horrified to admit that I would think nothing of having 4 slices of wholemeal toast with a can of baked beans for lunch.... That is 60g carbs in the toast and then 50g carbs in the baked beans, so a whopping 110g carbs just for lunch.... that is 2-3 days worth of carbs for me now in just on one meal and amazingly I don't feel hungry now whereas I would be ravenous a few hours later after eating that!

Perhaps if you give us an idea of what you currently eat now on an average day for breakfast, lunch and dinner we could give you some ideas for lower carb alternatives, so you have an idea of how to get started.

Keeping a food diary is really helpful to keep track of everything, because it is easy to be naughty but if you are going to confess by writing it down, it can make you think twice about actually eating it.