Hi, Im quite new to Insulin for T2 and Libre Freestyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banksie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, sorry for the rant, but I need to vent my frustration. Ive been T2 diabetic for 13 years and only recently gone onto Insulin to help control my sugars. I feel like I have no freedom anymore as I am constantly looking at my results on the Libre app. It is really starting to affect my wellbeing. I feel like I want to give up. Fedup of pretending everything is ok when inside I feel broken.

I feel like I have no freedom anymore as I am constantly looking at my results on the Libre app
Why are you constantly looking at it then? You don’t need to.

Why are you constantly looking at it then? You don’t need to.
Its a bad habit that I need to break. I drive a lot with my job and have to check that sugars are ok before setting off on each journey, need to do this as proof for the DVLA and Insurance in case I am involved in an accident.

Its a bad habit that I need to break. I drive a lot with my job and have to check that sugars are ok before setting off on each journey, need to do this as proof for the DVLA and Insurance in case I am involved in an accident.
That’s a check once every 2 hours though not constantly

If Libre is getting to you, take a break from it and go back to finger pricking for a while. I have done this a few times and after a few days or a week, I return to Libre use feeling incredibly grateful for the infoirmation it gives me and the convenience of use. You are not obliged to use it all the time. My consultant was more than happy when I said that I might need to take breaks from it occasionally. I understand that checking it can become compulsive but the data can also be overwhelming.
Obviously you need to make sure you have plenty of test strips if you plan to take a break as you will probably go through more than you used to as you will feel yourself wanting to know wheat your levels are doing, especially in the first few days without it. I know the first night after I take a break from Libre I feel horribly vulnerable going to bed without it, even though I am very confident in my ability to deal with nocturnal hypos should they happen. I really resent that stopping using it can make me feel so vulnerable, but after a day or two the feeling goes and then after another couple of days I start to really miss the convenience and ease of using it and by the end of a week I am extremely happy and grateful to use Libre again.

That’s a good thing if you’re checking for safety reasons. The Libre is your servant not your master. Use it as you need to, and take a break if it’s getting to you and finger prick instead.

If Libre is getting to you, take a break from it and go back to finger pricking for a while. I have done this a few times and after a few days or a week, I return to Libre use feeling incredibly grateful for the infoirmation it gives me and the convenience of use. You are not obliged to use it all the time. My consultant was more than happy when I said that I might need to take breaks from it occasionally. I understand that checking it can become compulsive but the data can also be overwhelming.
Obviously you need to make sure you have plenty of test strips if you plan to take a break as you will probably go through more than you used to as you will feel yourself wanting to know wheat your levels are doing, especially in the first few days without it. I know the first night after I take a break from Libre I feel horribly vulnerable going to bed without it, even though I am very confident in my ability to deal with nocturnal hypos should they happen. I really resent that stopping using it can make me feel so vulnerable, but after a day or two the feeling goes and then after another couple of days I start to really miss the convenience and ease of using it and by the end of a week I am extremely happy and grateful to use Libre again.

Thanks for this info, I will chat to my consultant tomorrow when she rings. I agree that the info is very useful, especially as its linked directly to my consultant. I stopped with the finger pricking as my fingers were very sore, although I still use this method when having hypos, which are generally at night. I guess I need to learn not to be so hard on myself.

Thanks for this info, I will chat to my consultant tomorrow when she rings. I agree that the info is very useful, especially as its linked directly to my consultant. I stopped with the finger pricking as my fingers were very sore, although I still use this method when having hypos, which are generally at night. I guess I need to learn not to be so hard on myself.
It can be so hard to not be hard on yourself and not see every number as a judgement. I have to work every day to just see it as information.I wish you a easier day. Hugs.

And - ask them about those night time hypos for goodness sake, cos this always means too much insulin sloshing about at that/those times, hence needs sorting, asap.

Just a thought...i was having regular alerts about 3am for a couple of weeks this summer. Consultant thought it may be related to heat. I changed my duvet to the thinest one and, voila, they went way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back