Hi I'm new to this as just been diagnosed pre diabetic. Don't know what my score is need to check with doctor. Im sure this group will help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delores

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi I'm new to this as just been diagnosed pre diabetic. Don't know what my score is need to check with doctor. Im sure this group will help me.

Hello @Delores and welcome.
Prediabetes is when Hba1c is in the 40s, so not such a long trek back to normal numbers as some have had - but do take it as a warning that you do not deal well with carbohydrate and analyse what you are eating. You might find that you are getting a lot of carbs from one particular type of food or drink, and by cutting back or removing it from your intake your metabolism will be far more able to cope.
With any luck you should feel better and be back to normal fairly swiftly. I found it such a relief to abandon the 'healthy' high carb low fat diet I was on to reduce cholesterol, it was like coming up for air.

Thanks I brought a glucose monitor but not sure when to use it before or after food. My bloods were done before I'd eaten anything but I need to know score so that I know what I'm dealing with.

Don't believe anything I say because I'm pretty new here and might be talking rubbish.

When your bloods are taken at the doctor it's usually an IV sample and that is to measure your hba1c. That HbA1c number is different to the numbers you get at a finger prick test.

This article here was helpful for me in understanding more about the difference.

The hba1c is done usually every 3 months by an IV blood test.

As far as finger prick testing... That gives you the current reading at the time of the finger prick.

I'm sure someone else will be around to help with more information about testing, when to test etc, it's usually before and after so you know the number before you start and the number after a set amount of time so you know the difference and what that meal just did to you.

To see how a meal changes your BG levels test just before starting to eat and then 2 hours from that time. When starting out usually an increase of 3 whole number is thought to be OK,
Anything more then analysis of what was eaten should reveal where changes should and could be made to lighten the load.

Prediabetes is when Hba1c is in the 40s

Generally the numbers folks are told on the forum is that they are at increased risk of developing diabetes if their HbA1c is between 42-47mmol/mol, and if they get a result or two at 48 and above, they get a diagnosis with diabetes.

Welcome to the forum @Delores 🙂

’Pre-diabetes’ isn’t a formal diagnosis as such (it hasn’t been officially categorised), but it’s an increasingly common term given to people at increased risk of diabetes.

Hopefully with a few modest tweaks to your menu, you can reduce your HbA1c and steer away from the diabetes dividing line!

The food group to pay the most attention to is probably carbohydrates (starches and sugars), as this will be most responsible for raising your blood glucose levels. So reducing portion sizes of starchy carbohydrates, and cutting right back on sweet and sugary things can be really helpful.

You may also need to be careful with fats, if you are carrying extra weight that you’d like to lose.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back