Hi im new and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

susan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello im new here, i have diabetes type 2 my dad had it before he died and now my mums got it, i have had it now for two years im on metformin 3 tabs a day. I am struggling with it as i dont know what to eat, i dont check my levels as the doctor hasnt told me to or shown me how to and i dont know what the levels should be anyway, i feel tired all the time and i ache ,i cant sleep as im forever getting up to go to the loo, i am scared of eating things incase it makes me ill but i have to eat as i feel forever hungry, i may have tiny amount like icecream a baby size amount and not often, but i get head aches after and going to the loo at night more please someone tell me what i can eat without the worry of what it will do to me. i dont care if its only a few things i will just eat those if it will make me feel better thank you, Susan

Hi Susan,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm a Type 2 myself also on metformin tablets and I'm just fine. There's no need to be scared just so long as you act sensibly to take control of your condition.

After following the very poor advice dished out to me by healthcare professionals, I have sorted out my control by changing my diet. Basically, I've normalised my blood glucose levels over the last eighteen months.

I've recently posted a summary of the typical things that I eat in another thread on this forum. It might be useful to you - you can find it via this link:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=6435

If you have any questions then just ask.

More than anything else keep coming to the forum and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes - John

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum. See if you can get a meter, many of the firms give meters away or see doctor or nurse as there may well be one laying round the surgery in need of a home. They are pretty easy to use and all come with instructions. Failing that places like Boots and Lloyds Pharmacy sell them.

Have a look at the food threads as there are loads of ideas there and wallycorker has put his menu there too. It will give you a guide to the sort of things you should be eating. A general rule of thumb is cut down or reduce the carbs you eat. Try to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vege, low in salt and sugar and low in fat. Don't cut out the treats altogether thoe, we all need a tereat sometimes.

The headache might be because you are dehydrated. You will pee more as the body tries to get rid of the excess suagr in your system, so you will need plenty of sugar free drinks (I am a great fan of water for dehydration). If the headaches are too much of a problem see your doctor.

Hope this has been of help, although I am sure someone else will be along soon with more ideas.

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum im sorry to hear you have had such bad care by the sounds of it hun, you need to get yourself an appointment and your gp needs to buck up there ideas, so many gps just go around not giving a dam and it is not on. your aches and your pains will be due to the fact your levels may be high and the weeing in the night happens to quite a few of us , but you need some guidance hun please seek help xxx, maybe approach your gp about getting ameter and if that fails places like boots and lloyds do them, we pay the wages of these so called gps we deserve to be looked after

Good luck

Hello im new here, i have diabetes type 2 my dad had it before he died and now my mums got it, i have had it now for two years im on metformin 3 tabs a day. I am struggling with it as i dont know what to eat, i dont check my levels as the doctor hasnt told me to or shown me how to and i dont know what the levels should be anyway, i feel tired all the time and i ache ,i cant sleep as im forever getting up to go to the loo, i am scared of eating things incase it makes me ill but i have to eat as i feel forever hungry, i may have tiny amount like icecream a baby size amount and not often, but i get head aches after and going to the loo at night more please someone tell me what i can eat without the worry of what it will do to me. i dont care if its only a few things i will just eat those if it will make me feel better thank you, Susan

Hi there,

the link below should help you get the diet things straight....
Maggie davey's Open letter to Newly Daignosed Type 2 Diabetics .....
http://www.sequin.pwp.blueyonder.co....ds/openlet.pdf

And as the others have said you need to tests bgs.
If your Doc's surgery is unhelpful, ask to see a Consultant at the local Diabetic Clinic.

Hi Susan all i can realy say is listen to the people on this forum they know what they are talking about, i joined about a week ago in a simular situation to you numbers were between 19 and 28 and now im not getting anything over 12 apart from a bit of blurred vision i feel much better.
These people are real saints dont know what i would have done with out them.
Carole

Thank you so much for your help , i just feel so fed up with it sometimes, ive never been a big sugar eater all my life having to be carefull with my weight, and now i cant have any i want some if you know what i mean lol, i will check out the link for recipys thank you so much i feel a bit better already 🙂

........... i joined about a week ago in a simular situation to you numbers were between 19 and 28 and now im not getting anything over 12 apart from a bit of blurred vision i feel much ...........
Great news that Carole! Keep it up!

Best wishes - John

Yes - that worked fine!

Great stuff that Peter - good advice and well written too! I'd not seen it before - where did you find it?

Couldn't it be posted on this forum under the heading of "Advice for dealing with Type 2" - or something similar? I think that people would find it very useful.

Best wishes - John

hi john,
maggie davey was a member of a support group called alt.support.diabetes.uk in 2003 ( that still exists in a feeble state beset by spammers).
Her Open Letter summarises the kind of conclusions we came to about T2 control. I had a samll input into it, advising on some of the language and lay out etc.
Northie has put it in the Links thread for us.
it was the kind of thing I had in mind when I suggested that we had Stickies in the newbies thread for newly dxed T1s and t2s. But that idea was rejected, people seem to want to advise each new dmer individually , repeating the same messages. To every newbie T2 that comes on, I suggest they read, Maggies' Open letter, Alan s's advice on "test, review, adjust" and Jennifer's Samsrt advice on tersting.
yes I would like to see maggie's letter as the first port of call for new T2s, we could still deal individually with newbies with personalised answers anyway.

.........yes I would like to see maggie's letter as the first port of call for new T2s, we could still deal individually with newbies with personalised answers anyway...........
I'm with you on that Peter - I agree.

John

hi susan welcome to the forum it was my first thought when i was first diagnosed what do i eat ....really the answer is anything but in moderation and to TEST to see what effects you.
wallycorker kindly posted what he does in

thttp://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=6435he receipe thread

i found that very useful x good luck

Thank you i will try all, anything to make me feel better i feel so rotten at times im hungry now and ive had a snack of a small banana and a small apple with two crisp breads. but ill wait till i have my evening meal before i have anything else.

.............ive had a snack of a small banana and a small apple with two crisp breads...........
Hi again Susan,

That sounds like it might be a lot of carbohydrate if eaten altogether as a "snack" at the same time. Why not try spreading it out over a longer period of time?

Take care!

John

wow i thought that was a bit,.. its clear now im eating to much carb ive now got to find out what is carbs.. i didnt think crisp bread {rivitas} were that bad, and a small banana spread on top of it but ill learn, thanks again Susan.

Yes - that worked fine!

Great stuff that Peter - good advice and well written too! I'd not seen it before - where did you find it?

Couldn't it be posted on this forum under the heading of "Advice for dealing with Type 2" - or something similar? I think that people would find it very useful.

Best wishes - John

I have copied it into Links under open letter for diabetics if anyone else is looking

Hi again Susan,

A banana would have arond 20-25g depending on size and Ryvitas 7g each.

I recommend the Collins Calorie or Carbohydrate counting book to you - available everywhere for about ?4. A very useful buy for anyone looking at this for the first time.

You'll get there and you'll do OK - I can tell already.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back