Hi I’m new!

New2BoatLife

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hello folks,

I’m new to the forum.
I was diagnosed as pre diabetic about 2 months ago and was enrolled on the NHS free pre diabetic course which was very helpful in explaining how the disease works, plus info about carbs, calories and fats. The first 4 sessions were weekly and now they are once a month. The next session is next Thursday on Zoom.

I’ve managed to lose a few pounds (but put on a couple this week) and got my diet under control during the first 4 weeks of the course. However this week - since working from home - I’ve had more chocolate (Mars bar and some Tunnocks bars) and we’ve made Friday night pie night, thanks to the local pub doing takeouts.

My mum has type 2 diabetes, as did her mum and brothers. Mum, who is 83, now has to inject as she couldn’t get it under control with diet and pills alone.

The illness scares me - I’ve seen mum struggle with foot sores not healing and other ailments taking longer to heal. Her brother suffered for years with his diabetes and whilst we are not sure whether he died of complications of diabetes alone (there were bowel issues) I’m sure it compounded the other problems.

I’d welcome advice on how to avoid this illness (two factors are against me that I can’t change - age (53) and a parent with the illness). I’d also like some advice on non boring but healthy snacks or better meals that mean I don’t need to snack.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @New2BoatLife . Welcome to the forum.
Though their are a couple of things you can’t change their are many that you can !
Remove the temptations.
Yes you can have the occasional treat, but not every day , perhaps once a week.
You have seen the horrible results of what long term uncontrolled diabetes can do, use that as your motivation.

Most if us on this site have lowered our carbohydrate intake and often eat normal fats .
We also recommend self testing so that you can see how the various carbohydrates affect you as we are all very different in this respect, ie some can tolerate porridge others have to avoid it like the plague as it spikes their blood glucose far to high
Many herewho have to self fund their own testing kit
Use this Glucose meter and it’s testing strips
We use the mmol/measurement in the uk and you are entitled to claim VAT relief.
You will need to buy more test strips and a box of lancets as you only get ten in the starter pack and they won’t go far at all.

The idea is you test directly before eating then two hours after starting to eat , so long as you are no higher than 3 mmol post eating that meal was ok for you.

Have a read through this very long running thread What did you eat yesterday this should give you some ideas, but we also bare our sins there too.
We also have some amazingly innovative cooks on they work wonders with some almond flour and imagination, the recipes are much lower carb than those over on the main site.
Members recipies

I hope you find the above helpful .

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As you are not fully into diabetic levels of glucose just a few changes could put you back into the normal range.
Carbs are actually an optional extra, as they are not essential.
I have stir fries and salad, I roast low carb vegetables under joints of meat or a chicken, which sits on a rack over a tray. I avoid fruits other than berries, as they are very sugary.
Eating strictly I have got back from a Hba1c of 91, so you can probably decide to eat far more than the 40 gm of carbs I allow but by choosing low carb foods you can eat rather more of them. I have swede rather than potatoes, for instance, and choose courgette, celeriac, aubergine or cauliflower - all low carb options.

New2BoatLife

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi @New2BoatLife . Welcome to the forum.
Though their are a couple of things you can’t change their are many that you can !
Remove the temptations.
Yes you can have the occasional treat, but not every day , perhaps once a week.
You have seen the horrible results of what long term uncontrolled diabetes can do, use that as your motivation.

Most if us on this site have lowered our carbohydrate intake and often eat normal fats .
We also recommend self testing so that you can see how the various carbohydrates affect you as we are all very different in this respect, ie some can tolerate porridge others have to avoid it like the plague as it spikes their blood glucose far to high
Many herewho have to self fund their own testing kit
Use this Glucose meter and it’s testing strips
We use the mmol/measurement in the uk and you are entitled to claim VAT relief.
You will need to buy more test strips and a box of lancets as you only get ten in the starter pack and they won’t go far at all.

The idea is you test directly before eating then two hours after starting to eat , so long as you are no higher than 3 mmol post eating that meal was ok for you.

Have a read through this very long running thread What did you eat yesterday this should give you some ideas, but we also bare our sins there too.
We also have some amazingly innovative cooks on they work wonders with some almond flour and imagination, the recipes are much lower carb than those over on the main site.
Members recipies

I hope you find the above helpful .
Thank you, that’s a great post and really very helpful!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @New2BoatLife

Great that you’ve found benefit in the course you joined. Was it the ‘diabetes prevention programme’ you enrolled in?

If not you might find that an extra source of support.

Plus you can rely on the ‘hive mind’ of the forum - lots of friendly helpful folks here whose collective brains you can pick. Ask away with any questions - nothing will be thought of as too obvious or ‘silly’.

For snacks, many find nuts a useful go-to. Others like a chunk of cheese, hardboiled eggs or some those protein things like biltong or jerky. Important thing about snacks is not to eat them frequently and mindlessly... your body will get used to when you usually feed it, and get hungry on cue if you snack regularly.

If you are reducing your carb intake or eating fairly low carb, many members here find that they can be quite a bit more liberal with fats (which keep you feeling fuller for longer). A combination of moderate-low carb and ‘good’ fats seems to result in a better balance of cholesterol readings, and are easier to maintain as a long term strategy.