Hi from a Newbie

Bibblebobbled

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I've just joined and I'd like to introduce myself. I live in Cheshire, I'm divorced for a 2nd time I am a mum of 3 girls and two boys. I also have 14 grandchildren (10 girls and 4 boys)
I live on my own with my little dog Rosie.
I have many health issues, Type 2 diabetes being one of them. I've had it for a little while and I'm still trying to get my head around it all. I recently joined Weight Watchers and I've lost 2 stone. I'm not sure how much weight affects Diabetes, or whether it's down to what I eat?
Anyway I've probably bored you all to tears, so I'll say goodnight

Welcome to the forum @Bibblebobbled

Thanks for sharing a bit of your backstory. <3

If you are comfortable to share, perhaps you could tell us a little about your T2? Do you take any medications to help with your glucose management? Do you know your most recent HbA1c result?

All those grandchildren must keep you busy, along with your doggie - does it take much walking? Do you find it easy to keep active?

Weight loss can help with insulin sensitivity, and (especially if losing weight around the abdomen) can reduce visceral fat built up around the liver and pancreas, which can help ‘reboot’ the metabolism in some people.

I'm not sure how much weight affects Diabetes, or whether it's down to what I eat?
Hi, and welcome. Managing T2 is about both, plus being more active and taking any diabetes medication that's been prescribed.

Hi, I've just joined and I'd like to introduce myself. I live in Cheshire, I'm divorced for a 2nd time I am a mum of 3 girls and two boys. I also have 14 grandchildren (10 girls and 4 boys)
I have many health issues, Type 2 diabetes being one of them. I've had it for a little while and I'm still trying to get my head around it all. I recently joined Weight Watchers and I've lost 2 stone. I'm not sure how much weight affects Diabetes, or whether it's down to what I eat?
Welcome to the forum, Weight Watchers can work for many people in helping them to lose weight and that will certainly help reduce your blood glucose so really well done on the weight loss. You will only know whether that has helped to reduce your HbA1C. Your WW consultant should have given to a suitable program to take account of a Type 2 diabetic diagnosis, they purport to have such.
However some people would find their meal plans too high in carbohydrates especially if they were not on any medication and were trying by making dietary changes.
But the important thing is finding an approach which you enjoy and will be sustainable.
Were you told what your HbA1C was as that will give an idea of how much work you will need to do and have you been prescribed any medication as that will determine what dietary regime will be suitable.
Wow that is a goodly number of grandchildren, my other half's late Mum boasted 30 grandchildren and 80 great grandchildren from 6 children herself. I have a measly 5.

Wow! I was going to mention the benefits of exercise (as well as a healthy diet) but I bet that all your grandchildren keep you busy anyway 😉

Hello. Welcome to the forum (As a fellow Bobble, I like your username!). That's a busy life you have there!

I was diagnosed in July so still relatively new too. I hope you feel very welcome and supported here. I know I do and the people here are knowledgeable (and generous with their knowledge).

Good morning @Bibblebobbled and welcome to the forum. I am also in my 60s and diagnosed 6 months ago. Still getting used to it all and hoping the medication plus lower carb diet and regular exercise will lower my blood glucose levels. I am feeling better than this time last year. I was probably diabetic then, just not diagnosed. You sound like you have a busy life with all your grandchildren. You will find a lot of good information and support from the forum members. Feel free to ask questions about anything concerning your diabetes or treatment.

Welcome to the forum @Bibblebobbled

Thanks for sharing a bit of your backstory. <3

If you are comfortable to share, perhaps you could tell us a little about your T2? Do you take any medications to help with your glucose management? Do you know your most recent HbA1c result?

All those grandchildren must keep you busy, along with your doggie - does it take much walking? Do you find it easy to keep active?

Weight loss can help with insulin sensitivity, and (especially if losing weight around the abdomen) can reduce visceral fat built up around the liver and pancreas, which can help ‘reboot’ the metabolism in some people.
Thank you @everydayupsanddowns

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm not really sure how I thanked you twice

I don't understand the blood test results and I don't really understand what I'm supposed to eat and what to avoid.
I have uploaded 2 results I've had.The first one was taken in April of this year and then the second one was this month. I have absolutely no clue as to what it all means. I have an appointment with the Diabetes nurse on Thursday. I am taking MetFormin medication.
My grandchildren definitely keep me on my toes, as does my dog. Unfortunately I can't walk too far as I also have COPD and Asthma which obviously affects my breathing, so it's a bit of a struggle. I'm hoping to pick up lots of tips here. Thanks again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240917_100356_NHS App.jpg
    Screenshot_20240917_100356_NHS App.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240917_100449_NHS App.jpg
    Screenshot_20240917_100449_NHS App.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 10
Sorry, I'm not really sure how I thanked you twice

I don't understand the blood test results and I don't really understand what I'm supposed to eat and what to avoid.
I have uploaded 2 results I've had.The first one was taken in April of this year and then the second one was this month. I have absolutely no clue as to what it all means. I have an appointment with the Diabetes nurse on Thursday. I am taking MetFormin medication.
My grandchildren definitely keep me on my toes, as does my dog. Unfortunately I can't walk too far as I also have COPD and Asthma which obviously affects my breathing, so it's a bit of a struggle. I'm hoping to pick up lots of tips here. Thanks again
Just a bit of explanation of your result, the HbA1C is basically an average of your blood glucose over the previous 3 months and the diagnostic level for Diabetes is anything over 47mmol/mol. Below 42 is normal so don't be put off by the 'normal range of 20-42' as on the screen would be quite unrealistic for somebody with diagnosed diabetes. Your result shows 63 on diagnosis and a good improvement by your second test of 53 so whatever you are doing is having a positive effect. However with a bit more attention to your diet you could hopefully continue to improve on that in jig quick time.
If knowing what to eat is a quandary then have a look at this link for some ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Just one question, you mention COPD and asthma and people may have steroid treatment for that which does have a reputation for increasing blood glucose so it may be a bit more of a battle if so.
Hopefully the link will help you with any questions you have for your nurse.

Hello. Welcome to the forum (As a fellow Bobble, I like your username!). That's a busy life you have there!

I was diagnosed in July so still relatively new too. I hope you feel very welcome and supported here. I know I do and the people here are knowledgeable (and

Just a bit of explanation of your result, the HbA1C is basically an average of your blood glucose over the previous 3 months and the diagnostic level for Diabetes is anything over 47mmol/mol. Below 42 is normal so don't be put off by the 'normal range of 20-42' as on the screen would be quite unrealistic for somebody with diagnosed diabetes. Your result shows 63 on diagnosis and a good improvement by your second test of 53 so whatever you are doing is having a positive effect. However with a bit more attention to your diet you could hopefully continue to improve on that in jig quick time.
If knowing what to eat is a quandary then have a look at this link for some ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Just one question, you mention COPD and asthma and people may have steroid treatment for that which does have a reputation for increasing blood glucose so it may be a bit more of a battle if so.
Hopefully the link will help you with any questions you have for your nurse.
Thank you very much for your response. I will take a look at the link.
I'm very happy that there's been an improvement so I'll do as you suggested and carry on with what I'm already doing.
As far as my COPD and Asthma are concerned, I'm only ever on Steroids if I'm having an exasperation, which thankfully isn't too often.

I was diagnosed in July so still relatively new too. I hope you feel very welcome and supported here. I know I do and the people here are knowledgeable (and generous with their knowledge).
The name just popped into my head and I quite like it.
The advice I have received already has been very interesting

Good morning @Bibblebobbled and welcome to the forum. I am also in my 60s and diagnosed 6 months ago. Still getting used to it all and hoping the medication plus lower carb diet and regular exercise will lower my blood glucose levels. I am feeling better than this time last year. I was probably diabetic then, just not diagnosed. You sound like you have a busy life with all your grandchildren. You will find a lot of good information and support from the forum members. Feel free to ask questions about anything concerning your diabetes or treatment.
Good afternoon Silver Minion, I have to agree that I'm certainly feeling much better than when I started as I was struggling with my Breathing, which I put down to my copd,Asthma and being over weight. The struggle with my breathing is nowhere near as bad as it was

Back