Hi everyone

Hanif

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Been diagnosed with type 2 about 3 weeks ago and immediately put on metmorphine 2 times a day and statin (40mg) at night and told to get some weight off , I am 178cm tall and 90kg so doc said to shift 10kg and aim for a kg a week . Been walking 20000 steps a day but weight budging very slow ( 1.5kg) in 2 weeks . Cut out red meats and most carbs and no snacks and fizzy drinks for past 2 weeks .

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Hanif and welcome to the forum :) A kilo is a lot to lose in a week though doable, it's what I was losing to start with, but as I've got fitter, the weight is slower to come off. You are doing great with your steps! Cutting out the carbs is definitely the way to go, and hopefully the results will start showing soon. I still eat red meat, but less of it now. Without the carbs you will need some fats to balance your diet and keep you feeling fuller. For example double cream in coffee is fewer carbs than milk and will fill you up.

I'm sure there will be someone along soon who has more knowledge of why this is the case...I am terribly unscientific!

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say hats off to you for your progress so far :)

Hanif

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Hanif and welcome to the forum :) A kilo is a lot to lose in a week though doable, it's what I was losing to start with, but as I've got fitter, the weight is slower to come off. You are doing great with your steps! Cutting out the carbs is definitely the way to go, and hopefully the results will start showing soon. I still eat red meat, but less of it now. Without the carbs you will need some fats to balance your diet and keep you feeling fuller. For example double cream in coffee is fewer carbs than milk and will fill you up.

I'm sure there will be someone along soon who has more knowledge of why this is the case...I am terribly unscientific!

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say hats off to you for your progress so far :)
Hi there vonny , thx for the reply and encouragement. Any tips are always welcome by me . I’ve cut out most carbs except a slice of brown wheat toast around 11am . Other than that I am eating clean with only chicken fish and veg with apples as a snack . My main concern is the weight . Being on statins really frighten me and I hope I can come off them but only after weighing up the risks and speaking to my doctor .

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome from me too.

Can you tell us a bit more about how you came to be diagnosed and your HbA1c reading if you know it? This is the result of a blood test from your arm which is sent to the lab and is used by doctors to diagnose diabetes. It will be a number of 48 or over and gives us an idea of where on the diabetic scale you are. Some people are only just over the diabetes threshold at 49 or low 50s but some people are much higher and even into 3 figures so knowing your initial reading gives you a starting point for your journey with diabetes and also an indication of how significant the changes to your diet may need to be/.

Not sure if you are aware but apples contain carbs and are a moderate carb fruit. Definitely lower than a banana but higher than a handful of berries. Maybe consider just having one fruit portion a day and interchange the apples with berries on alternate days. Having fruit with yoghurt or cream or cheese (I like a few apple slices with cheese) also slows down the rate at which it releases glucose into the blood stream so can be beneficial.... and as @Vonny says, the fat in them helps to stop you feeling hungry and provides slow release energy and lets face it, it tastes nice! When you have to give up a lot of high carb foods it helps to find low carb alternatives that you enjoy so that you don't feel deprived.

I often have big plates of salad with a huge dollop of cheese coleslaw which I really enjoy and is low carb and makes the salad so much nicer. Creamy Greek natural yoghurt (not low fat) with berries and seeds and perhaps a little sprinkle of low carb granola makes a nice breakfast or dessert. Very occasionally if I have done a lot of exercise I will have half a banana with yoghurt or cream and keep the other half for the next day or the day after. It has now become such a treat because I have banana so rarely, it tastes heavenly. I love the fact that I now appreciate food so much more and really savour the flavours of things, even sour or bitter things. Going low carb has really given me much more of an appreciation for the flavour of simple foods....

Anyway, I wish you luck with your weight loss and hopefully bringing your BG (Blood Glucose) levels down and hopefully coming off the medication at some point.
As regards the statins, you might want to ask what your cholesterol levels are and not just the total cholesterol but the breakdown of the different types. GPs can sometimes be a bit too keen to dish out statins, especially to newly diabetic patients without weighing up the necessity. It is good that you are going to be having a discussion about it, but it would be good if you have the facts and figures before that meeting so that you can do some research and know where you stand. Same with your HbA1c reading.... ring the surgery and get these results if you don't have them, so that you can make informed decisions. Diabetes is a condition which can be well managed but the person managing it on a day by day, meal by meal basis is you and not your GP ... who has no idea what you eat and drink each day or how much exercise you do apart from a quick conversation maybe every 3 or 6 months. They are there to support you, but you are the person managing it, so don't feel like you aren't a vital part of the process and therefore have a right to know information and make informed decisions.

Good luck and keep us posted with how you get on.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Oh dear - I'd strongly recommend bringing back the red meat - it is protein and fat - you can cope with that no problem. Lose the bread - high carbs from grain, little actual nutrition. Apples, not very bad, but still a fairly high carb food, and from sugar - maybe next year, when you have got into lower ranges of BG and Hba1c?
Just how high was your Hba1c?
If not dreadfully high (mine was 91 and the Dr said I was a very bad diabetic) then you might find that you don't have to be really strict - I am eating under 40 gm of carbs a day from low carb foods, but I used to blood glucose meter and found that I see spikes after all high carb foods. I reacted so badly to the Metformin and statin though. If you are OK with them you might find some help - but my cholesterol is average without medication, and my BG is normal.
For an ordinary type two it seems that low carb is the way to go. It keeps BG levels down and gets people labelled as in remission. It lowered my cholesterol levels in a way the low fat did not (in fact high carb low fat watch the calories made it go up)
I only eat twice a day, no snacks and feel great. If you find you are hungry between meals then larger meals could be the answer. In the mean time, snacks of eggs, cheese, cold meat, or maybe a coffee with cream will do the trick.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Hanif

Congratulations on your 20000 steps, that’s an amazing achievement!

Sorry that the weight is only coming off gradually at the moment - but I think gradual and steady changes are often better for the body and more likely to stay changed. Feel free to share some examples of your daily meals so that members can offer suggestions, swaps and ideas - though by cutting back on carbs it sounds like you making very positive steps for a more Bg-friendly eating plan

If you are interested in using exercise as part of your diabetes management strategy you might like to sign up for some extra support with ‘Live Well, Move More’

Hanif

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome from me too.

Can you tell us a bit more about how you came to be diagnosed and your HbA1c reading if you know it? This is the result of a blood test from your arm which is sent to the lab and is used by doctors to diagnose diabetes. It will be a number of 48 or over and gives us an idea of where on the diabetic scale you are. Some people are only just over the diabetes threshold at 49 or low 50s but some people are much higher and even into 3 figures so knowing your initial reading gives you a starting point for your journey with diabetes and also an indication of how significant the changes to your diet may need to be/.

Not sure if you are aware but apples contain carbs and are a moderate carb fruit. Definitely lower than a banana but higher than a handful of berries. Maybe consider just having one fruit portion a day and interchange the apples with berries on alternate days. Having fruit with yoghurt or cream or cheese (I like a few apple slices with cheese) also slows down the rate at which it releases glucose into the blood stream so can be beneficial.... and as @Vonny says, the fat in them helps to stop you feeling hungry and provides slow release energy and lets face it, it tastes nice! When you have to give up a lot of high carb foods it helps to find low carb alternatives that you enjoy so that you don't feel deprived.

I often have big plates of salad with a huge dollop of cheese coleslaw which I really enjoy and is low carb and makes the salad so much nicer. Creamy Greek natural yoghurt (not low fat) with berries and seeds and perhaps a little sprinkle of low carb granola makes a nice breakfast or dessert. Very occasionally if I have done a lot of exercise I will have half a banana with yoghurt or cream and keep the other half for the next day or the day after. It has now become such a treat because I have banana so rarely, it tastes heavenly. I love the fact that I now appreciate food so much more and really savour the flavours of things, even sour or bitter things. Going low carb has really given me much more of an appreciation for the flavour of simple foods....

Anyway, I wish you luck with your weight loss and hopefully bringing your BG (Blood Glucose) levels down and hopefully coming off the medication at some point.
As regards the statins, you might want to ask what your cholesterol levels are and not just the total cholesterol but the breakdown of the different types. GPs can sometimes be a bit too keen to dish out statins, especially to newly diabetic patients without weighing up the necessity. It is good that you are going to be having a discussion about it, but it would be good if you have the facts and figures before that meeting so that you can do some research and know where you stand. Same with your HbA1c reading.... ring the surgery and get these results if you don't have them, so that you can make informed decisions. Diabetes is a condition which can be well managed but the person managing it on a day by day, meal by meal basis is you and not your GP ... who has no idea what you eat and drink each day or how much exercise you do apart from a quick conversation maybe every 3 or 6 months. They are there to support you, but you are the person managing it, so don't feel like you aren't a vital part of the process and therefore have a right to know information and make informed decisions.

Good luck and keep us posted with how you get on.

Hanif

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there , sorry for the late reply . Thank you so much for all the information. There is so much on the internet about what to eat and what not to eat . I will take your advise on board and follow it . The apple scenario surprised me so I will stop eating them in the evenings . As regards to the HBA1C , it’s at 60 and the lipids read : chol:7.4 , chol:HDL:6.9 and trigly reads 4 .

I was so scared at first so started taking g the statins along with the metmorphine , now I have read on the net that if I stop the statins I am in danger again s irs true these doctors have a vested interested in putting you on statins and have no idea of the lifestyle we lead after being diagnosed . I’ve completely switched my diet over and only eat clean now and stopped all fizzy drinks and juices along with crisps which were my biggest weekness . Carbs I only have a small portio. In the afternoon. And have my
Last meal at 6.30pm which will be a soup. Hope the above reading gives you a insight . Lastly , I can to being diagnosed because I was feeling thirsty and chest pains and also waking up during the night to go to the toilet . Also felt very fatigued during the day .