Hi Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spammy56

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
My name is Pam and I live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire.
I really new to this as I was only diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last Tuesday. I am finding it all a little overwhelming, I have started my meds and had my eye test. I have also cut out the chocolate and sweets, that has been hard as I work in a gift packing warehouse for a leading chocolate brand!! I am taking baby steps as its all come a bit of a shock as i hadn't had any symptoms really, but I am really glad to have found you all for support and guidance. Have a fab day xx

Sorry you've had to join us but welcome to the forum. It would be useful to know a little about your diagnosis, eg HbA1c, what meds you're on, what advice you've been given by your surgery regarding diet, being more active etc. Since we are all very much different in how we manage our diabetes this will help tailor advice to your specific circumstances.

Hi @Spammy56 and welcome to the forum from me too. I've only been a member for the last two years and have learnt so much from the knowledgeable members on the forum as I'm sure you will, Welcome again and enjoy,

Hi and welcome from me too.

Really sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with the dreaded D especially in your line of work as I imagine there are occasional damaged packets that end up as freebies. I was a sugar addict and chocoholic pre-diagnosis but I mostly live alone so I was able to remove all temptation from the house and avoid supermarket aisles that are just too tempting, but handling that stuff every day is going to be challenging, unless it is all very high cocoa solids dark chocolate.

As mentioned my @Martin.A if you can tell us a bit about how your diagnosis came about and what meds you have been given and your HbA1c if you know it.... this is the blood test used to diagnose and monitor your management of diabetes and will be a number in excess of 47 if you have a formal diagnosis. The higher it is above 47, the more seriously you need to take your diabetes management. Some of us where in 3 figures at diagnosis and have got it down into normal or near normal levels by various means and there are a good few of us who feel that our diagnosis was actually the kick up the pants we needed to improve our diet and get fitter and lose some weight. My change of diet to low carb has actually dramatically improved quite a few other health issues. I don't get migraines anymore and I was averaging an acute one about once a month. My gut health has improved dramatically, my skin and breathing have improved and joint pain is significantly improved. At 60yrs old I actually feel better than I did in my forties and far from my diabetes making me ill, it has actually resulted in improved health and I have no doubt a longer lifespan too. It is a real shame that I didn't make those changes sooner but it seems the diagnosis was the kick up the backside I needed to make them.

I hope we are able to help support you to make some of the changes necessary to manage it well and perhaps be able to see some benefits from it too with time.

Hi and welcome from me too.

Really sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with the dreaded D especially in your line of work as I imagine there are occasional damaged packets that end up as freebies. I was a sugar addict and chocoholic pre-diagnosis but I mostly live alone so I was able to remove all temptation from the house and avoid supermarket aisles that are just too tempting, but handling that stuff every day is going to be challenging, unless it is all very high cocoa solids dark chocolate.

As mentioned my @Martin.A if you can tell us a bit about how your diagnosis came about and what meds you have been given and your HbA1c if you know it.... this is the blood test used to diagnose and monitor your management of diabetes and will be a number in excess of 47 if you have a formal diagnosis. The higher it is above 47, the more seriously you need to take your diabetes management. Some of us where in 3 figures at diagnosis and have got it down into normal or near normal levels by various means and there are a good few of us who feel that our diagnosis was actually the kick up the pants we needed to improve our diet and get fitter and lose some weight. My change of diet to low carb has actually dramatically improved quite a few other health issues. I don't get migraines anymore and I was averaging an acute one about once a month. My gut health has improved dramatically, my skin and breathing have improved and joint pain is significantly improved. At 60yrs old I actually feel better than I did in my forties and far from my diabetes making me ill, it has actually resulted in improved health and I have no doubt a longer lifespan too. It is a real shame that I didn't make those changes sooner but it seems the diagnosis was the kick up the backside I needed to make them.

I hope we are able to help support you to make some of the changes necessary to manage it well and perhaps be able to see some benefits from it too with time.
Hi
My HbA1c was 91 so doc put me on Metformin with meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol. I didnt have any of the normal symptoms you associate with Diabetes, I just felt so exhausted and every part of my body ached, at 56 i put it all down to age!! But it has been a kick up the pants, I have been low carb since I spoke with my Doctor and I do feel much better, minimal effects from meds, and i have signed up for the one million steps fundraiser. I do approximately 13k steps a day so may as well use them for some good. I started Pilates too at Doctors recommendation which I surprisingly enjoy. I haven't seen diabetic nurse yet, so don't have a plan as such apart from taking better care of myself and cut down on the bacon butties.
i am looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning.

Hi
My HbA1c was 91 so doc put me on Metformin with meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol. I didnt have any of the normal symptoms you associate with Diabetes, I just felt so exhausted and every part of my body ached, at 56 i put it all down to age!! But it has been a kick up the pants, I have been low carb since I spoke with my Doctor and I do feel much better, minimal effects from meds, and i have signed up for the one million steps fundraiser. I do approximately 13k steps a day so may as well use them for some good. I started Pilates too at Doctors recommendation which I surprisingly enjoy. I haven't seen diabetic nurse yet, so don't have a plan as such apart from taking better care of myself and cut down on the bacon butties.
If you are going down a low carb route which many do find successful you may find some good ideas in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Low carb is suggested as being no more than 130g carbs per day, it is not NO carbs.

If you are going down a low carb route which many do find successful you may find some good ideas in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Low carb is suggested as being no more than 130g carbs per day, it is not NO carbs.
Hi Leadinglights
Yea i found Freshwell very helpful, and have taken some good recipes from this site too. I have tried no carbs in the past but it just made me ill, your body needs a certain about of carbs to function properly. I do struggle to get over 110g but only because I am so full 🙂

Hi

Welcome @Spammy56 This all sounds really positive and pro-active 🙂 I’m sure you’ll see an improvement in your figures over the coming months.

Mate - 130g carb per day is not a required figure - it's suggested as a lower carb figure for people to try and aim for to begin with is all! Many of us have never eaten 130g a day to begin with so for me would represent an increase, not a reduction. The powers that be reckon that we all usually eat 200g plus carb each every day! (I'd look like a barrel in that case - and I certainly never wish to!) Main thing is to eat balanced meals so that you get a) protein b) some veg (some of which will contain carb eg root veg and spuds & c) some fat in meals throughout the day. Just not far too much of any individual component.

Hi

Being exhausted is a normal symptom of T2D, and I was the same prior to diagnosis (Falling asleep in the office some days. Hba1c of 83) and had aches and pains. The good news is that after a few weeks of low carb it all went away and I felt normal again, so you're making a great start!

Hi Leadinglights
Yea i found Freshwell very helpful, and have taken some good recipes from this site too. I have tried no carbs in the past but it just made me ill, your body needs a certain about of carbs to function properly. I do struggle to get over 110g but only because I am so full 🙂
There is absolutely no need to have 130g per day that is just suggested as a good starting point for people to look to reducing to especially if they have previously had a very high carb diet.
I personally went with 70g per day but because I did that all at once rather than gradually I did suffer with some issues with my eyes which I hadn't realised could happen until I read on here.

Being exhausted is a normal symptom of T2D, and I was the same prior to diagnosis (Falling asleep in the office some days. Hba1c of 83) and had aches and pains. The good news is that after a few weeks of low carb it all went away and I felt normal again, so you're making a great start!
Yes I was shocked that Diabetes could make you feel like that and on plus side since i have been on low carb the tingling in my hands has stopped too, which i had manly in the evenings 🙂

There is absolutely no need to have 130g per day that is just suggested as a good starting point for people to look to reducing to especially if they have previously had a very high carb diet.
I personally went with 70g per day but because I did that all at once rather than gradually I did suffer with some issues with my eyes which I hadn't realised could happen until I read on here.
My eyes where beginning to suffer, blurred vision etc, went to opticians and my eyesight had got much worse. I have had the diabetic eye test this week so just need to wait for results now 🙂

My eyes where beginning to suffer, blurred vision etc, went to opticians and my eyesight had got much worse. I have had the diabetic eye test this week so just need to wait for results now 🙂
Your eyes can change due to high blood glucose as the environment in the eye is 'sugary' rather than the normal 'salty' so the shape changes /and things become fussy but your brain often adapts because it has happened slowly but when blood glucose drops quite quickly due to changes in diet or medication then the eye environment returns to salty and the shape changes again. Your optician should prescribe new glasses until your eyes have settled.

Oh yea my prescription changed so I did get new glasses, that was an expensive day ha ha !!

Your optician should prescribe new glasses until your eyes have settled.
That, I am sure, was meant to read, "Your optician should NOT prescribe new glasses until your eyes have settled"

That, I am sure, was meant to read, "Your optician should NOT prescribe new glasses until your eyes have settled"
Thanks for spotting that, my eyes have come out in sympathy with OH who has had his cataract operation this morning. It seemed to go well, very quick but now irritating him. He didn't sleep a wink last night, subconscious worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back