Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1963

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi everyone
sorry not been on for a while
i need some information
i have neuropathy in my feet and its starting to get difficult driving and know that soon i will have to convert a automatic car to hand control i have seen places i can get this done but its different for different cars so basically everytime i change my car i need it doing and its not cheep
so some one mentioned that i could get a car thats already converted and can change every 3years
and i could get help with this through the nhs /benefits system but where ever i look type 2 diabetes is not recognized as something you could get help with apart from free prescriptions unless you was totally disabilitated and need a carerer
my problem is my car is kind of my life line for work and visiting my mother up north
i live in dorset on my own with my two girls 7 and 4yrs
can anyone offer any advice on this
kind Regards
steve

hi everyone
sorry not been on for a while
i need some information
i have neuropathy in my feet and its starting to get difficult driving and know that soon i will have to convert a automatic car to hand control i have seen places i can get this done but its different for different cars so basically everytime i change my car i need it doing and its not cheep
so some one mentioned that i could get a car thats already converted and can change every 3years
and i could get help with this through the nhs /benefits system but where ever i look type 2 diabetes is not recognized as something you could get help with apart from free prescriptions unless you was totally disabilitated and need a carerer
my problem is my car is kind of my life line for work and visiting my mother up north
i live in dorset on my own with my two girls 7 and 4yrs
can anyone offer any advice on this
kind Regards
steve
Maybe the diabetes uk help line may be able to help if you give them a ring.

Hi Steve have you applied for PIP? The mobility element will hopefully get you 12 points thus you can have a car adapted for your needs free of charge.

Just to add to what @Pumper_Sue said @Steve1963 - PIP eligibility is determined by what you can do for yourself and what you can't do/need help with not what diagnoses you have. It can help to get support with filling the forms in (from CAB or a local welfare rights charity) to phrase things in a way that makes it obvious to those making the decisions what your needs are, and be prepared to request mandatory reconsideration and to appeal if they initially refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back