Hi and a quick question about eyesight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuicide

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm Stu.

Was diagnosed as type one on Friday - I just assumed I was abit run down from a music festival and that a weekend of resting would put me back on my feet to go to work on Monday.

Apparently not.

Looking back over the last few weeks I can see the symptoms slowing happening (hindsight's lovely isn't it) and wish I could've connected the dots sooner, but it is what it is.

I don't want this to define who I am and what I do from now on, and it may take some time but hopefully I can learn to deal with this.

Quick question though - insulin has helped with my eyesight, as it was blurry at long range and on Sunday my eyesight was greatly improved, but today my near sight has been blurry (typing this at a distance I wouldn't usually do) blood sugars are around the 5-7 mark - will my sight improve after awhile or should I check in with a dr?

Hi, I'm Stu.

Was diagnosed as type one on Friday - I just assumed I was abit run down from a music festival and that a weekend of resting would put me back on my feet to go to work on Monday.

Apparently not.

Looking back over the last few weeks I can see the symptoms slowing happening (hindsight's lovely isn't it) and wish I could've connected the dots sooner, but it is what it is.

I don't want this to define who I am and what I do from now on, and it may take some time but hopefully I can learn to deal with this.

Quick question though - insulin has helped with my eyesight, as it was blurry at long range and on Sunday my eyesight was greatly improved, but today my near sight has been blurry (typing this at a distance I wouldn't usually do) blood sugars are around the 5-7 mark - will my sight improve after awhile or should I check in with a dr?
Hi Stu and welcome to the forum. It took a couple of weeks for my blurry eyes to settle down after I was diagnosed, so I wouldn't worry about it although I do remember how annoying it was.

I was diagnosed last week and have enlarged the font on my computer so the letters I'm typing are about an inch high! Not sure my arms are long enough to try using my long distance vision.

Everything is one big blur fest and I've had to stop work because I simply can't do my job right now. Apparently once my blood sugar levels stabilise my vision should return to normal. I can't wait! It is annoying but as everyone who has experienced this says it is temporary, lasting a few weeks or so. Phew! 🙂

Good luck with your eyes and everything else this diabetes brings!

Good luck to you to! I'ts a shock to the system but I'm sure we'll have it under control at some point!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that I can't advise from personal experience about the eyes because I was only 2 when diagnosed 🙂 There are very few things that you can't do with Type 1 diabetes - I've had a brilliant life doing lots of mad things 🙂

Hi Stuicide and welcome to the forum🙂.
It sounds like you have the right attitude to deal with your diabetes. It shouldn't stop you doing anything if it's under control - you just need to plan a bit more e.g Making sure you have your testing kit and hypo treatments always with you. It does all become second nature!

Hi Stu 🙂

I'm having the same issues (fellow diagnosed on Friday here too) at the moment it's really annoying as I only just got new glasses so I'm hoping they settle down lol. Hope yours settle as well.
Good luck with everything

I came down from very high numbers quite quickly and got blurred eyesight for about four weeks. I was too scared to tell anyone so was very relieved when I read on this forum this can happen when going from high to back in range. No point buying new glasses as it does go away!

Welcome Stu. Hydration has quite a lot to do with the way we are. If you have been high for a while it should settle down, good luck

Hello and welcome Stu 🙂

High blood sugar circulating pre and shortly after diagnosis causes the lens in the eye to swell affecting the ability to focus which causes the blurriness you are experiencing. It will improve as your glucose levels stabilise and get in range. The lens will go back to how it was once the body has equilibrium restored with an insulin supply. Don't spend money on new glasses during this time as things will improve. Good luck with it all.

Hello and welcome Stu 🙂

High blood sugar circulating pre and shortly after diagnosis causes the lens in the eye to swell affecting the ability to focus which causes the blurriness you are experiencing. It will improve as your glucose levels stabilise and get in range. The lens will go back to how it was once the body has equilibrium restored with an insulin supply. Don't spend money on new glasses during this time as things will improve. Good luck with it all.
I would buy that Flower. Explained well 🙂

Welcome to you all the newbies.

As others have said it is something that happens and after a while things will go back to normal.
In the mean time a cheap pair of reading glasses might help, but may still be blurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back