Hi am new here just told about a month ago i have type 2 diabetes but not on medication its that ok

shanna

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi am new here just told am type 2 diabetes but was not put on medication am in the gym 4 days per week lifting weights all is it ok that am not on medication

Welcome to the forum
I can't answer your question regarding weights at the gym, but more information may help another person answer.

You have said you are not on meds. Do you know what your HbA1c diabetes test result was?
Also are you following an eating plan at the moment, if not what type of meals do you typically eat?

If you've not been put in medication I would expect your HbA1c result to be on or just over the line for a diabetes diagnosis. Do you know what your result was? Lifestyle changes involving diet, being more active and losing weight (if needed) are the strategies for managing T2 whether on medication or not. Many who are diagnosed only just into diabetes territory are often given that as a first option. I don't do gym work but I'm not aware that lifting weights is a problem for diabetics.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum
I can't answer your question regarding weights at the gym, but more information may help another person answer.

You have said you are not on meds. Do you know what your HbA1c diabetes test result was?
Also are you following an eating plan at the moment, if not what type of meals do you typically eat?
Have cut out white bread rice have more vegetables in my meals have smaller potion and have lot of protein like chicken fish abit of beef am I on the right track have cut out pastry still have chocolate but black I don't know my hba1c

Don't know my Hbac1 but have cut out white rich bread am having loads of vegetables in every meals am having more protein but am still abit confuse with what to eat

Don't know my Hbac1 but have cut out white rich bread am having loads of vegetables in every meals am having more protein but am still abit confuse with what to eat
As you are not on any medication then a low carbohydrate approach is one that many find successful. It is not just sugar that converts to glucose but all carbohydrates which include, bread, rice and pasta regardless of colour, breakfast cereals, some fruit like bananas, pineapple, mango, grapes as well as the more obvious cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks and fruit juice.
However there is still plenty you can eat by basing meals on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, dairy with vegetables, salads and fruit like berries.
This link is very helpful for information and some meal plans so you can see just what variety of meals and foods you can have. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

A lot of Type 2's have found low carb diets help them in their diabetes control.
Remember low carb is not no carb. How low carb you may wish to go will partly depend how far into the diabetic zone you are.
It may be a good idea just to ask your surgery for the results of your last HbA1c. That way you will have a better idea how much work you need to put in to lower it.

Hi am new here just told am type 2 diabetes but was not put on medication am in the gym 4 days per week lifting weights all is it ok that am not on medication
Hello. Welcome to the forum. I'm also newly diagnosed and not on medication either. My hba1c was 52 so only 4 points into the diabetic zone and my surgery have offered me 3 months to try diet controlling my eating. The Freshwell app that LeadingLights linked above is a really good starting point.
I can't comment on the weight lifting. I'm a lifelong couch potato so learning to move more is a really important part of the changes I'm making!
I hope you find some helpful answers here.

Have cut out white bread rice have more vegetables in my meals have smaller potion and have lot of protein like chicken fish abit of beef am I on the right track have cut out pastry still have chocolate but black I don't know my hba1c

Sounds like you’ve made some positive changes @shanna

Hopefully you’ll get some reassurance, and see some positive progress at your next check-up.

When are you due to see your GP or nurse again?

Hello there @shanna and welcome to the forum.My older sister is in the same position as you..she's a T2D and not on medication..but that's only because her GP simply can't be bothered to help her.

Back