Hi All..just a little quick question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All...

Well Nathan is just recovering from a hypo reading 2..😱..not aware of any sign etc..and has his friend round....It was only when I called to say tea is ready..and he checked his BG...although he did look pale...but no shakes etc.

Anyway...I've made homemade Pizza.......😱...Nathan requested this as he still not got appetite back from Swine Flu..

Obviously I am not giving him his insulin with his tea..he had 2 glucotabs..etc..and then eating pizza.etc.....How long would you all wait until giving N/R......usually I wait an hour..but this might be to long of not long enough...

Thanks

Heidi
xx🙂

Hmmm pizza, I'm hungry now!

Well glad you caught him before he went any lower!

Problem is pizza is evil, and we all get affected differently by it. You probably know whats best to do, but testing after an hour and correcting doesn't sound wrong to me, you could even test at 30mins in case he has gone high from the hypo?

Hope you sort it soon.

Rossi

PS whats the topping gonna be?

Hmmm pizza, I'm hungry now!

Well glad you caught him before he went any lower!

Problem is pizza is evil, and we all get affected differently by it. You probably know whats best to do, but testing after an hour and correcting doesn't sound wrong to me, you could even test at 30mins in case he has gone high from the hypo?

Hope you sort it soon.

Rossi

PS whats the topping gonna be?

MMMMMM...pizza is the tricky one...sometimes we get it right..others miles out...but he never had pizza when he hypoing at this level..

Well...Its all homemade...the topping is spicy chicken..with peppers (red and yellow)..and a some chilli......😱

Heidi
xx🙂

Good chooice! Generous helping of chillies, and I'll be right round!!

Good chooice! Generous helping of chillies, and I'll be right round!!

Ok..no worries...Nath loves hot food...the spicier the better..mind you he nearly didnt get anything...was about to do the fatal mistake of rubbing my eyes after chopping the chilli's 😱😱

Heidi
xx🙂

That is fatal!! I've done it a few times, but not for a while!

Enjoy it.

Hiya All..

Well Nath...gone up to 10.4....:D...so have just given him his N/R....will check his BG again in 2hrs..to see if I managed to catch the peak

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi All...

Well I seem to have caught the pizza spike....Nathan just tested BG...and he's 7.7...so well pleased with that.

Heidi
xx🙂

wow, well done heidi, that's pretty damn good :D

Thanks Katie...I'm surprised though...kind of expected a 11-13 may be a 14..its maybe due to the hypo though...if Naths muscles have kicked out a bit of glucose..they might have clawed it back...

Did you have a nice time at your brothers?

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi - just wondering why lots of people seem to have a problem with pizza ? i've never noticed it doing funny things to Katie's blood sugar readings. She's having pizza for lunch today so will investigate!

Hi - just wondering why lots of people seem to have a problem with pizza ? i've never noticed it doing funny things to Katie's blood sugar readings. She's having pizza for lunch today so will investigate!

I don't really seem to have 'problem' foods either - I've tested at all sorts of intervals after eating various stuff that's supposed to be tricky and no real difficulties.

I've had 2 pizzas since Feb myself and both times i have been ok , mind you i got the lilttle 9 inch one and eat it to myself LOL

I've had 2 pizzas since Feb myself and both times i have been ok , mind you i got the lilttle 9 inch one and eat it to myself LOL

The last take away pizza I had was a whole 14" Peperoni Passion from Dominos. Before diagnosis. Now we make our own with the base mix from Tesco and low-ish carb topping. Far healthier.

I think the general problem with pizza is that there is alot of carbs but the fat slows the digestion so the insulin can peak too early causing a hypo and then the carbs hit later after the insulin is done working and cause a high.
I have found that i can bolus for a pizza after eating, but in the past I have split the bolus

The pizza effect - also applies to pasta. BG can peak up to 4 hours almost randomly rather than the approximately 1 hour normal peak. Maximum efficacy of most insulins ends at around 3 hours.

Depends largely on the individual and the precise ingredients including the flour type.

If anyone thinks pizza hasn't spiked them, they've missed the spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back