Hi 40 years Type 1 and struggling with lockdown

Inamuddle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have just joined and posted in a thread about depression. I should have posted on here first maybe. I am Sue and I have been a diabetic for 40 years. I think I am still in denial sometimes! I finally have to admit that it has all been a struggle lately.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Same length of time here, lots changed in 40 years.

Lockdown is pain, now we can see light at end of tunnel with vaccines being rolled out, hang in there.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome.

Burn out seems to be pretty common with diabetes because it is so relentless to manage. I am only 21 months in so it is hard to comprehend how it must feel to do 40 years with it!
Do you have any of the new tech to help you manage your diabetes? I wonder if that might be a way of reinvigorating your motivation. Even though I am a bit of a technophobe I did find getting the LIbre really exciting and it encouraged me to improve my time in range and experiment and almost treat it like a very slow moving video game trying to keep between the "in range" lines.
I know this year has made things particularly difficult, so maybe you just need to be a bit kinder to yourself and accept that in the current circumstances, your management might not be as good as it has been in the past, but that it will pass and you will get back to good management again. We all know that perfection is impossible and logically there will be times when we do better than others, but at least when we are not doing so well, it leaves plenty of room for improvement!

I hope you find the community here on the forum gives you a bit more perspective and helps to motivate you to pick up your diabetes baton again and run with it, along with the rest of us, who are hobbling along at whatever pace we can manage.

Paulbreen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sue, more or less the same time here too and sometimes in denial too so your not on your own there, all i can say here is just reach out, theres some great people here who will do their best to help when you need it

cameron

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sue, welcome to the forum.

It's good that you're reaching out, you're not alone here! I've experienced diabetes burnout over the years myself, but it's important to let somebody know how you're feeling and not keep it all bottled up.

Do you manage to get out of the house every day and go for short walks?

atoll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i started taking men's 50 plus multi-vitamins and minerals as well as vitamin D and C a few years ago after noticing a seasonal onset of depression as the days got shorter,worked wonders for me.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear that you have been struggling @Inamuddle

Feel free to pour out all your frustrations and anxieties here - you are among people who will instinctively understand the challenges of living with diabetes day to day.

Diabetes can be draining and exhausting to live with at times, particularly if your BGs are misbehaving - but folks here might have some hints and tips to help so ask away :)

Inamuddle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear that you have been struggling @Inamuddle

Feel free to pour out all your frustrations and anxieties here - you are among people who will instinctively understand the challenges of living with diabetes day to day.

Diabetes can be draining and exhausting to live with at times, particularly if your BGs are misbehaving - but folks here might have some hints and tips to help so ask away :)
Thank you Mike, I think that actually posting on here marked a point at which I decided to at least try to deal with things. I have made an appointment with the diabetic team to try to reign in the high blood sugars. Its a start!

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good to hear, you have made a step in the right direction to get help. Hope your team can offer some good support.
Many of us find it helps to keep reading and posting here. We learn a lot from each other but there is also an element of accountability of publicly reporting our successes and failures and it just helps to know that people here understand when we do less well than we would like. Why not jopin the Group 7-day waking average" thread and get to know us a bit better. It is like a morning check in. We report our daily fasting reading and share our plans for the day or any frustrations we have or just compare notes on the weather. I see it as a bit of a virtual coffee morning.... Might not be for you but if you feel like giving it a go, just jump in tomorrow with your fasting reading.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Many of us find it helps to keep reading and posting here. We learn a lot from each other but there is also an element of accountability of publicly reporting our successes and failures and it just helps to know that people here understand when we do less well than we would like. Why not jopin the Group 7-day waking average" thread and get to know us a bit better. It is like a morning check in. We report our daily fasting reading and share our plans for the day or any frustrations we have or just compare notes on the weather. I see it as a bit of a virtual coffee morning....

Here’s the thread if you are interested @Inamuddle