Hgv license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all been type 2 diabetic for 15 years last couple of years been struggling with high hba1c last week was told no other solution than insulin which is causing havoc and stress concerning my hgv license any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all been type 2 diabetic for 15 years last couple of years been struggling with high hba1c last week was told no other solution than insulin which is causing havoc and stress concerning my hgv license any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi @Muz and welcome to the forum.
There's a driving forum so have a look in there also double check DVLA for requirements to have your licence reinstated.
Once you go on insulin you can not drive an HGV until approved by the DVLA. You will need 3 months worth of blood sugar results including days you don't drive.
With delays at the DVLA I suspect you wont get your licence back anytime soon. As I understand it your licence if issued is for 1 year only and you have to have a medical every year to retain your licence. Obviously more to it than that but hat's just the basics.

Thanks for replying lve read its a month's worth of readings for the first time then 3 month's from there on trying to contact DVLA at present is hopeless, do you just stop working for 3months crazy and very frustrating.

Thanks for replying lve read its a month's worth of readings for the first time then 3 month's from there on trying to contact DVLA at present is hopeless, do you just stop working for 3months crazy and very frustrating.
It took me 7 mths to have my licence returned so dream on regarding the 3 mths wait.
I'm not 100% sure of the rules but suspect you will need a medical which the DVLA will arrange.

What have you done regarding trying to lower your A1c? Have you lowered you carb intake had more exercise and or lost weight if required?
All these things will help if you haven't been proactive in managing your diabetes. Unfortunately the NHS seem to think that people with type2 diabetes are not worth educating correctly and more often than not are classed as 2nd or 3rd class citizens :(

Yeah l,ve had dealings with the dvla before it took me 9 month's last time to get it back and that was way before covid . I cycle regularly and do watch my diet but struggle sometimes really thinking of postponing the insulin for a few months

We can give you support and ideas with your diet if you want to have a go at improving your HBA1c without insulin. Unfortunately the NHS dietary advice is a bit behind the curve for Type 2 diabetics, but we have many people here on the forum who have come down from very high, sometimes 3 figure, HbA1c results into the normal or pre-diabetic range by using a BG meter to help them find which foods to avoid and which they can get away with. Not only that but they have lost lots of weight in the process, and feel fitter and healthier than they have for years and discovered a new interest in food and cooking. It isn't easy to start with because we have spent most of our lives piling our plates with bread and potatoes and pasta and eating toast/bread or breakfast cereal in the morning but once you get into the swing of it, it becomes easier.

If you can tell us the sort of things you currently eat and drink for breakfast, lunch and evening meal and any snacks, we could perhaps suggest some lower carb alternatives for the more likely culprits in your diet, causing you BG upheaval.

Importantly - do you have a blood glucose meter and test test test?

We can give you support and ideas with your diet if you want to have a go at improving your HBA1c without insulin. Unfortunately the NHS dietary advice is a bit behind the curve for Type 2 diabetics, but we have many people here on the forum who have come down from very high, sometimes 3 figure, HbA1c results into the normal or pre-diabetic range by using a BG meter to help them find which foods to avoid and which they can get away with. Not only that but they have lost lots of weight in the process, and feel fitter and healthier than they have for years and discovered a new interest in food and cooking. It isn't easy to start with because we have spent most of our lives piling our plates with bread and potatoes and pasta and eating toast/bread or breakfast cereal in the morning but once you get into the swing of it, it becomes easier.

If you can tell us the sort of things you currently eat and drink for breakfast, lunch and evening meal and any snacks, we could perhaps suggest some lower carb alternatives for the more likely culprits in your diet, causing you BG upheaval.
I started doing the fasting method l,d go from 8.00 pm in the evening and then have breakfast at 8or 9 in the morning weight dropped of me but energy levels were low l,m a keen cyclist and noticed that l struggled to do the miles which l did before l think the reason they want me on insulin is of my health history l had a heart bypass 17 years ago . As for my diet l,d have porridge for breakfast then at 11 ish l,d have a banana or orange skip dinner then have a cooked meal at night,get more stressed about what to eat than the actual diabetes snacks a couple of biscuits and a packet of sunbites only drink water throughout the day and have cup of tea when l get back from work with sweetener.

I started doing the fasting method l,d go from 8.00 pm in the evening and then have breakfast at 8or 9 in the morning weight dropped of me but energy levels were low l,m a keen cyclist and noticed that l struggled to do the miles which l did before l think the reason they want me on insulin is of my health history l had a heart bypass 17 years ago . As for my diet l,d have porridge for breakfast then at 11 ish l,d have a banana or orange skip dinner then have a cooked meal at night,get more stressed about what to eat than the actual diabetes snacks a couple of biscuits and a packet of sunbites only drink water throughout the day and have cup of tea when l get back from work with sweetener.
You are having quite a lot of high carb foods which are probably having an impact in giving you high blood glucose levels, porridge, banana, oranges, biscuits and sunbites are all high carb and you are not having much protein so that could be responsible for your lack of energy. Reviewing your diet would be a better option before looking at insulin. Lower carb meals with protein, healthy fats and vegetables would be beneficial.
Getting a blood glucose monitor would allow you to make some better food choices by testing before you eat and after 2hours, an increase of more than 2-3mmol/l would indicate the meal was too carb heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back