Hey there.. It’s been a while..

Status
Not open for further replies.

karinagal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi y’all! It’s been a while since I popped on here.. Lockdown affected my levels - not going in to an office and moving around - and resulted in me having my Metformin doubled. This worked and all seemed fine. I guess I got overly complacent and was eating whatever took my fancy. Recent check shows my sugars are creeping up and the doc wants to add to my medication. We didn’t discuss what that would entail, but she did ask if I drove as this might mean I would have to test before driving.. I’ve begged for a 3 month stay of execution to see if I can turn the tide and get the levels back on track..

So - I guess since I haven’t been acting like a diabetic for the last few years, I need whatever tips you can throw at me. I’m not looking to go on a diet - but am I just looking at reduced sugars in foods or less carbs overall?

Also - should I invest in a meter and start testing?

Thanks in advance..

We don't know what your readings are but reducing your carbs does make sense. If your HBA1C shows you are above, say, 50 then doing some meter testing makes sense even if it's only every so often to guide you.

We don't know what your readings are but reducing your carbs does make sense. If your HBA1C shows you are above, say, 50 then doing some meter testing makes sense even if it's only every so often to guide you.
I think the doc muttered something about it being 72.. !!!

I think the doc muttered something about it being 72.. !!!
Yes that is quite high and you could have more medication added but initially a better option would be addressing your dietary regime. Really as Type 2 it has to be a new way of eating rather than a DIET otherwise you will be back to square one.
There is no reason for that regime to be boring or not be tasty and filling.
Have a look at this link for some ideas as to how you can reduce your carbohydrates. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
You would find it useful to have a home blood glucose monitor so you can check out your meals. Testing before you eat and after 2 hours and aiming at no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase or as your levels come down no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back