Hepatitis E

michymoomoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi to all members here.
I would like to ask if any one has ever had Viral Hepatitis E (HVE). I am T2 and take 2g of Metformin daily amongst some blood pressure medications and of course Statins.I felt really quite unwell recently, slight chills, extreme fatigue, body aches. Blood tests done at GPS and I was subsequently sent to hospital because of deranged liver function test results. All meds stopped except, blood pressure meds. So now I have had no metformin for almost a couple of weeks, maybe a bit less.
Viral Hepatitis panel has shown I was positive for Hepatitis E. . No treatment , LFTS are reducing , but a hospital Doctor has warned me it may take up to 6 months to fully recover.
I am feeling so terrible, so very weak and fatigued. Could the metformin stop be making me feel even worse ? I would like to hear any ones thoughts ? Has anyone here had Hep E, how long was recovery and was your metformin stopped ?
A very long message here I know.

Hi to all members here.
I would like to ask if any one has ever had Viral Hepatitis E (HVE). I am T2 and take 2g of Metformin daily amongst some blood pressure medications and of course Statins.I felt really quite unwell recently, slight chills, extreme fatigue, body aches. Blood tests done at GPS and I was subsequently sent to hospital because of deranged liver function test results. All meds stopped except, blood pressure meds. So now I have had no metformin for almost a couple of weeks, maybe a bit less.
Viral Hepatitis panel has shown I was positive for Hepatitis E. . No treatment , LFTS are reducing , but a hospital Doctor has warned me it may take up to 6 months to fully recover.
I am feeling so terrible, so very weak and fatigued. Could the metformin stop be making me feel even worse ? I would like to hear any ones thoughts ? Has anyone here had Hep E, how long was recovery and was your metformin stopped ?
A very long message here I know.
My goodness how on earth did you pick that up. I suspect discontinuing the medication is to relieve pressure on the liver whilst the infection clears up. It does seem to be quite a rare thing to get.
I hope you have been practicing the hygiene procedure to prevent transmission to others.
I hope you will start to feel better soon.

I’ve never had it @michymoomoo but I’m sorry you’re feeling so unwell with it. There’s some information here:

“Hepatitis E is found all over the world. In the UK it is the most common type of short term (acute) hepatitis.
In the UK hepatitis E is usually picked up from eating undercooked meat.
After picking up hepatitis E there is an incubation period of about 2 to 6 weeks. After this it usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks for your body to get rid of the virus.”

How’s your blood sugar? I imagine most of the weakness and fatigue is caused by the hepatitis. I hope your recovery isn’t too long.

Hi
I absolutely have no idea how I have picked this up at all. As an ex nurse I can tell you I am more than extra careful regarding food hygiene, and of course every day hand hygiene etc. I have been informed that Hep E is the most commonly seen Viral Hepatitis in the UK.
I understand person to person transmission is extremely rare. It might simply be the case that I have picked it up after being served food by someone with less than desirable hand hygiene. I might have unwillingly consumed some contaminated meat. It can come from contaminated water. Whatever Enough to put me off ever eating out of home again. Hepatitis E in this country is a thing and is a growing concern
I’ve never had it @michymoomoo but I’m sorry you’re feeling so unwell with it. There’s some information here:

“Hepatitis E is found all over the world. In the UK it is the most common type of short term (acute) hepatitis.
In the UK hepatitis E is usually picked up from eating undercooked meat.
After picking up hepatitis E there is an incubation period of about 2 to 6 weeks. After this it usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks for your body to get rid of the virus.”

How’s your blood sugar? I imagine most of the weakness and fatigue is caused by the hepatitis. I hope your recovery isn’t too long.

Hi
I absolutely have no idea how I have picked this up at all. As an ex nurse I can tell you I am more than extra careful regarding food hygiene, and of course every day hand hygiene etc. I have been informed that Hep E is the most commonly seen Viral Hepatitis in the UK.
I understand person to person transmission is extremely rare. It might simply be the case that I have picked it up after being served food by someone with less than desirable hand hygiene. I might have unwillingly consumed some contaminated meat. It can come from contaminated water. Whatever Enough to put me off ever eating out of home again. Hepatitis E in this country is a thing and is a growing concern
Thanks for the reply and info, I have spoken to the British Liver Trust regarding transmission etc.
I have no idea how my blood sugars are at the moment as in I have not been testing for a while, however my recent Hba1c is I think 6.4, I have not had time yet to speak with diabetic nurse, I don't feel I can go on with this weakness/fatigue from the virus or in the wake of the virus with no diabetic medication. I think I will try and speak with my GP tomorrow. Thanks again

Back