Hepatitis B Vaccine Recommended for Adults With Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hepatitis B vaccination is recommended for all unvaccinated adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes aged 19 to 59, say new guidelines from the U.S. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).

The vaccination should be done as soon as possible after adults in this age group are diagnosed with diabetes.

Unvaccinated adults with diabetes who are older than 59 can receive hepatitis B vaccination at the discretion of their doctor, the ACIP advises.

The recommendations are outlined in the Dec. 23 issue of the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...-vaccine-recommended-for-adults-with-diabetes

Shared blood testing meters? Eeeek! Exposure to someone you don't know's blood? Eeeeek! Only in America, surely? Unless you are a HCP of course, in which case you touch mobody with your bare skin, even in UK LOL

I've had either Hep A or B jabs in the past though, owing to having been to hot and exotic places on holiday.

Wonder why the cut off is 59?

Shared blood testing meters? Eeeek! Exposure to someone you don't know's blood? Eeeeek! Only in America, surely? Unless you are a HCP of course, in which case you touch mobody with your bare skin, even in UK LOL

I've had either Hep A or B jabs in the past though, owing to having been to hot and exotic places on holiday.

Wonder why the cut off is 59?

Yes, I wondered that too! :confused:

Probably because Medicare starts for 60 year olds in USA (I think). Plus risks for vaccinations are slightly higher in older people, so the risk benefit analysis changes, although not with a cliff edge at 59 years & 364 days to 60 years.

Hepatitis B has been part of US childhood immunisation scheme for many years - in some states, children are not allowed to start school unless they are immunised (or have sound medical exemptions).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back