Helping a beloved grandson win the fight of his life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
His full name is Daniel Levi Friedman Zinn, but of course everyone calls him Danny.
He is 10 now, and still has red hair he alternately loves and hates; freckles ? ditto; and a spirit that?s easier experienced than described.
I was there at Danny?s birth ? the only grandchild whose birth I witnessed. It has given us a special bond.
I fell madly in love with him even as I counted fingers and toes and studied this tiny creature who affirmed life?s longing for itself in that delivery room. I?m the only one who believes it, but I insist that I saw Danny smile a social smile minutes after his birth.
That smile has become something of a metaphor for me.
Danny is arguably the happiest kid I?ve ever known. He loves life, and devours it. He?s funny. He?s irreverent, sometimes. And he?s way off the charts in terms of things he shouldn?t know about but does because he has two older brothers.
So it wasn?t easy to accept the phone call that came five and a half years ago, and changed everything.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/00redesi...cle_3dc68cc3-8a43-5ace-b51b-e441ba574714.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back