Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I started taking insulin a couple of days ago. I had my insulin 25 minutes before I checked my blood glucose level (before tea) and it was 21.8. What should I do?

I started taking insulin a couple of days ago. I had my insulin 25 minutes before I checked my blood glucose level (before tea) and it was 21.8. What should I do?

Hi Star, what type of insulin are you taking? What had you eaten today prior to your tea?

Hi Star, what type of insulin are you taking? What had you eaten today prior to your tea?
Hi Northerner

I'm on Insulatard. I ate a home made curry for lunch at about 1 and had a chocolate muffin for dessert. I haven't had anything to eat since. I'm also taking antibiotics for a kidney infection which I started at lunch time too.

Hi Star, I'm afraid I don't know much about that insulin, except that it is a long-acting one so it probably won't bring your levels down quickly. It's likely that your infection has raised your levels generally, so that might be the main culprit. I'd have a word with your doctor or DSN and see if they think you need an increased dose of insulin whilst you are recovering.

Hi Star, I'm afraid I don't know much about that insulin, except that it is a long-acting one so it probably won't bring your levels down quickly. It's likely that your infection has raised your levels generally, so that might be the main culprit. I'd have a word with your doctor or DSN and see if they think you need an increased dose of insulin whilst you are recovering.

Thanks Northerner, do you think it will be ok to go to sleep and talk to them in the morning or should I ring the doctors now?

I'd check your blood glucose levels to see if they are coming down at all. 21 is quite high, but you're less likely to have a problem with ketones than a Type 1. If it is significantly higher, then I'd give the doctor or NHS direct a call just to be on the safe side. As you are new to the insulin, your doctor may still be trying to determine the correct dose for you, so could be starting on a lower dose than you will eventually need.

Hope things settle down soon!🙂

I'd check your blood glucose levels to see if they are coming down at all. 21 is quite high, but you're less likely to have a problem with ketones than a Type 1. If it is significantly higher, then I'd give the doctor or NHS direct a call just to be on the safe side. As you are new to the insulin, your doctor may still be trying to determine the correct dose for you, so could be starting on a lower dose than you will eventually need.

Hope things settle down soon!🙂

Thank you so much. You've been fantastic. It's great that this forum exists and gives help and support when you need it most.

Thanks again

insulatard may be the problem for you

hi star.

i used to be on insulatard and found i was going high (i am type 1 so was able to keep it under control better with my daytime novorapid). i changed gp's which ment i change diabetes clinics and i told them what had been happening, they suggested it was my insulatard not giving the full 24hr coverage. they changed me to lantus for my evening injection and it has worked wonders for me. i would suggest going to you diabetes clinic and asking them to change the insulatard for something with a smoother profile (no spkies in the insulin which is something insulatatrd is notorious for).

hope that helps you

Thank you so much. You've been fantastic. It's great that this forum exists and gives help and support when you need it most.

Thanks again

No problems my dear, that's why we're here!🙂

Hi Star,

You say you started on insulin a few days ago, what dose are you on?
I have been on insulin(Lantus) for nearly five weeks now and started on a dose of 10 units increasing by 2 units every 3 days. I am up to 30 units now(with a review due tomorrow) and although my BS levels are much better then they were I am still getting some high readings.

I know from experience that being ill can have a big effect on BS levels as well so wouldn't get too worried about it. Best thing to do is just keep monitoring your BS levels.

When I started on insulin in 2003 I was put on Novomix 30 and when that didnt really control me anymore I was put on Insulatard at night and novorapid for when I ate... I am surprised that you are just on a long acting insulin !!! I am now on Levemir and Novorapid and am better controlled.. hope it gets sorted out for you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back