help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonburmingham

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi guys, I am a parent to a 7 ear old who has been diagnosed T1 girl since Dec 2011.

We are currently on MDI and she has expressed an interest in pumping. I have heard and read lots of good things about this and she wants to go ahead with it.

I have spoken with our DN and we have had a handset given to us to use and get used and all is going well so far.

My biggest fear (and that of Fayth) is the cannula.

Can anyone help put my mind at ease on how painful it is any any advice on how we keep my little one calm when she has her first one. I know she will panic (naturally so) before she has it done an any thing to help me would be great thanks so much.

Hello Jon and little one 🙂
I can assure you the cannulas as rule do not hurt at all. Infact they are just the same as injecting? Sometimes and it is very rare they do sting when they go in.
There are also lots of different cannulas to try so pick one that suits you.
I hate the ones that make a loud click as they are inserted, It makes me jump so I wont use them. 😱
I love the little needles that you just push in yourself. These are done at the speed you want and no faster 🙂

Hope this reasures you 🙂

Ooh and as an added thought you can get cream to numb the area if at all worried. You wont need it though.

Hi Jon, I'd agree with all that.

My inserter does make a noise, it did bother me the first about twice, but not again. If the needle ever hurts it usually means you've hit a really 'bad' spot - I certainly have a number of them after 40 years but the cannula is softer than any needle (which you remove and throw away after insertion) and usually doesn't mean (for me) the site has failed. If it hurts like stink when you prime the cannula (which you do with a new one, to fill the whole of the inner tube, not to actually give yourself any insulin at that moment) then that's a bad sign.

I've been pumping now just over a year, and I have had ONE do that. Change mine every 2 days.

Have you seen the cannula needles? I ask because they can look a tad scary; the needle goes through the cannula and has to stick out the other end of it which I have to say, does make them look a bit longer than we are used to and also, thicker - but they aren't. So I wouldn't dwell on that bit too much if I were you. Just be ready to not let your face say 'OMG' in front of your daughter ! 😉

thanks for the replies so far guys.

we have a fantastic diabetic team here and they have been so helpful. they have given us a few cannulas to bring home as well as some patients (teddys) that Fayth can practice putting the cannula in.

They have also given us some numbing cream just in case.

I think its fear of the unknown for Fayth. Once she gets over the initial fear of the cannula i think she will be fine.

Oh diabetes is so cruel!!

Have you tried one on yourself Jon, so you know what they are like? I remember someone brought one to a Forum Meet for someone else to try 🙂

Hi little un
As someone who is needlephobic, I find my canula inserter alot better than a needle. It is a bit noisy and sometimes I find myself pressing the button several times before I actually manage to insert it but that's just my nerves!!
I've had the odd one that hurts but have been told that's probably coz you've nicked a nerve or vein but usually it doesn't hurt.
I'm also getting much quicker at inserting it too and pulling it out isn't painful either.
When I went to my first session for my pump, they had me inject into a cushion (although I would have preferred the teddy!!) and having seen what actually stays in my tum helped me be less afraid.
I also found that watching something on tv whilst trying to insert it also helped take my mind off it (you're only pressing a button after all) - so perhaps do your first one or two to your fave programme/song.
Hope everything goes well and you prefer the pump.
xx

Hi Jon,
Insertions are more bark than bite even with 13 mm Silhouttes (Sils) vs 4 mm pens, albeit Sils insert on angle. I prefer inserter - as done, inserted anyway, in blink of an eye.

Once inserted, I try to remain still (both me and the set, esp the set) as possible before withdrawing needle (which you don't feel).

I've never used a 'inserter' as when I heard the thing fire, it went off with such a forceful clang that it put me right off the thing... So always self-inserted which I find no different than injecting...

Good thing about self-inserting is one less bit of kit to carry around, and the Roche inserter is quite a bulky item...

It's really no different than an injections, except that you'll not taking it straight out again...

And the positive is that you don't have to do another for 2 or 3 days depending whether you choose the Metal or Teflon cannula the later it's 3 days...

I didn't get not even a cushion, first cannula straight into me, I would love one of the Teddies, so that when my 'almost here' grandson is old enough we can show him, why Grandma and Granddad Les do what they do (as we'll both T1 diabetics).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back