Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, This is my first post, i have also sent this in an email to diabetes UK but you guys are best to answer some of the queries i have.

I had been feeling poorly, tired most of the time, esp after food, shaking, itching, night sweats etc, and so went to my GP who sent me off for some blood tests.
My fasting blood sugar was 9.5 and the nurse said that I would need to see the GP for a diagnosis, I did this on Friday.
I was told that yes I had diabetes but she would repete the tests in a month, in the mean time I should cut out all sugar from my diet, I explained that i don't drink hot drinks where I could add sugar, I don't like cakes or puddings and have never eaten them, I don't eat biscuits or jam, I cook all my food from scratch and never but ready meals so didn't know what sugar I could cut out.
I asked should i be monitoring my blood sugars with a finger prick test and she said no, you only need to monitor blood sugars if you need insulin.
I asked how could I stabilse the symptoms ie tiredness after food and feeling shakey if i dont eat for a while and was told that these symptoms are in my head and i just needed to cut out the sugar from my diet! .

So I have come away with no help or information and just have to carry on as normal. I don't know what to do. I don't know if this is the way that newly diagnosed people are treated until a 2nd blood test? Is maybe 9.5 very low and borderline so she isn't worried? I don't know if i should see another Dr but don't what to cause a problem if the GP is correct, I just thought that if I needed just to have diet changes then mabye I should see a dietician/ diabetic Nurse who can tell me what is good and bad, i have read some advice on this website but don't know if I am over reacting.
I am a 45 year old woman, I am obese and also have high blood pressure.
Sorry to waffle on, I'm just bemused.

I look forward to any help, feeling very upset & alone.

Julie

Personally I would change your GP, he/she doesn't sound very helpful at all

Hello Julie, and welcome! It really is poor the way that some people are treated when first diagnosed, particularly Type 2s - I'm sorry that you have been left feeling confused and worrying.

There is a common misconception that diabetics shouldn't eat sugar, and that it is sugar alone that is the dangerous element in our diet, but I'm surprised that healthcare professionals are perpetuating this! Maybe they are the type who just want to fob you off quickly with simple advice, I don't know. As you have described, there is very little sugar in your diet currently, so how can you improve things by cutting it out? In fact, blood sugars are raised by all carbohydrate-containing foods - pasta, rice, potatoes etc. - and many other foods have some sort of natural sugars in them - fruit, milk, even some vegetables like peas.

The key thing is to try and eat foods that convert to glucose in the blood slowly, so that their energy is a gradual release. Pure sweet things like cakes and biscuits release their energy quickly, so these are what you need to avoid. Have a look on the Diabetes UK website, and you will find information on a healthy diet for Type 2s.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/Eating-well-with-Type-2-diabetes/

A level of 9.5 is not extremely high - normally this should be around 4-7 fasting. Improving this will certainly improve your problems with tiredness and increase your energy levels. If you are able, try some gentle exercise too, as this will work wonders at keeping your levels lower and stable. It will also improve your blood pressure.

You are not overreacting, you are dealing very well with it, by asking the questions that your doctor should have answered for you properly in the first place! I'm sure that others here will offer more help and support - they're a friendly bunch!

Last edited:
Hello Julie,
welcome to the forum.
If I were you then yes I would see another doctor. The advice you recieved was dreadful.
What you need to do though is be aware of carbohydrates. So basically as you you don't eat cakes or have sugar etc. It's things like pasta/rice/bread/piza/pastry/potatoes, that you need to cut right back on.
Have a look at the glycemic index and the glycemic load. This will give you a good understanding of what you need to do.
You are within your rights to have blood testing strips so you can monitor what the effect of dif foods have on you too.
Exercise is very important too. So make sure you have some regular exercise even a 20 min walk a day is a very good start.
Best wishes

Sue

Thank you all for your words. I can understand the carbs thing as i was brought up to have potatoes with every meal and fill up on bread..

Will look more at what i am eating and ask to see another GP next week..

Thanks again.

Sounds like my Practice.........not from Totton by chance:D. I put up a thread 'Discrimination at the NHS', I'm afraid a lot of this go's on, you either get good support, or not, as it seems in both our cases. You will be given good information on here, so ask away.

Hello Julie,
welcome to the forum.
If I were you then yes I would see another doctor. The advice you recieved was dreadful.
What you need to do though is be aware of carbohydrates. So basically as you you don't eat cakes or have sugar etc. It's things like pasta/rice/bread/piza/pastry/potatoes, that you need to cut right back on.
Have a look at the glycemic index and the glycemic load. This will give you a good understanding of what you need to do.
You are within your rights to have blood testing strips so you can monitor what the effect of dif foods have on you too.Exercise is very important too. So make sure you have some regular exercise even a 20 min walk a day is a very good start.
Best wishes

Sue

Sorry Sue...........this is not so. My own nurse told me I was not entitled to them, as I was on a diet and exercise regime.

Then your nurse is wrong :D
Go and read the NICE guidelines

Infact here are the guidelines 🙂
http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG66T2DQRG.pdf
Dear Sue,

I just had a look at the NICE Guidelines and came across this - I thought it might be useful to have it on this forum.

Self-monitoring of plasma glucose should be available:

● to those on insulin treatment
● to those on oral glucose-lowering medications to provide information on hypoglycaemia
● to assess changes in glucose control resulting from medications and lifestyle change
● to monitor changes during intercurrent illness
● to ensure safety during activities, including driving.

Regards Dodger

Then your nurse is wrong :D
Go and read the NICE guidelines

Infact here are the guidelines 🙂
http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG66T2DQRG.pdf

I agree.....I have the guidelines, and have said I will use them against my practice.

This doesn't help newbies, who get told this, like myself. There should be one standard of information/support/treatment, and free presciptions, right across the board. Not something you have to go and fight for. Who will take up this battlecry....DUK?????????

I agree.....I have the guidelines, and have said I will use them against my practice.

This doesn't help newbies, who get told this, like myself. There should be one standard of information/support/treatment, and free presciptions, right across the board. Not something you have to go and fight for. Who will take up this battlecry....DUK?????????

Dave if you are on diet and exercise you are not entitled to free prescriptions.
But
you are still entitled to have test strips on prescription.

hi and welcome spirit i can only echo what others have said you have been treated dreadfully change gp asap.

Julie

Have a look at the recommended book section on here too. Many of us have found Gretchen Becker's book extremely useful and also Diabetes for Dummies - my only caution is that I found that I needed to take both slowly. As others have said - it is carbohydrates as a whole rather than just sugar but it does take some time to get your head round it all

It is all so confusing at first and most of us seem to have been in that position - be assured tho that you will gradually come to understand what works for you as an individual but don't be afraid to ask what has worked for others like those of us on this forum too

Vanessa

Thank you all, i feel able to approach the surgery tomorrow and ask to see another GP. Will let you know how i get on.

Going on a long haul flight next week so will get the books to take!

No doubt i will be asking lots, now able to offer help for a while but who knows, that day might come!
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back