Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beeny-Baby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!

Hope everyone is well! I have had one of the worst weeks:( this week.I had a severe hypo at 2.3 unresponsive and very unwell 1 in the morning.It was such a horrible experience.I was lucky to have my friends with me otherwise i don't no what i would have done:( Nothing is really getting sorted.I was asked to run my sugars high so i get my hypo awareness back earlier.I am 19 at the moment and i jst feel really sick.I just don't know what to do.Has anyone got any advise for me.Im really struggling:(

Hi Beeny Baby, sorry to hear you've been having such a hard week - good you had your friends to help care for you. I think that it sounds like it is all overwhelming you at the moment, so I think you need to look at what you can do to simplify things then work from there. Everyone is different in some way as the things that muck up our diabetes management can be very complex.

How about going for a very simple, relatively low-carb diet so that you are only needing to inject small amounts per meal. Record everything you can think of, and if necessary repeat the same meals each day to see if you can spot a pattern to your readings both before and after food. It can be frustrating and you need a lot of patience, but it is the only way to learn. Even then, I'm afraid that it's not foolproof, but if you can just start getting a few more stable days things will appear better for you.

Can you think of any reasons why you might have gone so low at that time of night? Had you been drinking alcohol, or been more active during the day? What time did you eat and inject for your evening meal? All these things might give you some clues. Do you normally wake to good levels in the morning? One of the best ways to run your levels a little higher can be to reduce your slow-acting insulin dose slightly - best to ask your doctor or DSN what they suggest.

It can be scary, I understand entirely, but the only way to climb out of that scary place is by arming yourself with knowledge so you can reduce the likelihood of the lows occuring. 🙂

When you are told to run yourself high - I wouldnt have thought they meant this high - more like 11 or 12. Did you take less insulin with your meal earlier to help yourself to run higher..🙂Bev

Hi Beeny Baby

I think the two most important points have already been made..... don't get into the habit of running *too* too high because you're nervous about hypos - hypos are horrible and scary in the short-term, especially the loss of control. That said, long-term the effects of running to high for long periods of time are quite scary and very easy to overlook, although I guess you're less likely to overlook it if it makes you feel sick - yuk! Poor you!

I agree with Northerner - to get back in balance, testing, a LOT - every meal, 2 hours after every meal, in between when you're feeling slightly uneasy, before bed, whenever you wake up for no reason - and writing it down will help you / your support staff to spot patterns. have you got a DSN? They love looking at a weeks worth of figures and picking out what's going wrong - it's something they tend to be very good at.....

Can't offer anymore advice but hope you're feeling better soon xxxx

The only advice I can give you is keep comming back here. There is a wealth of information and always someone willing to help or liste as needed.

I hope you are feeling better. The whole thing can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. Take each day as it comes and things will soon feel better.

Beeny Babe,

I started on insulin injections in May (NovaRapid / Levemir), the nurse gave me some "estimated" dosages at the time and whilst I have yet to lose consciousness I would say up until last week only 25 - 30 % of my blood sugar readings were between 4 and 9. On a number of occaisions I was advised to change the overnight dosage and I was asked to try to change the novarapid dosage. I always thought this was difficult as I had no constant base to understand the impact of changes. For example for breakfast I have the same to eat every day but the 2 hour blood sugar would not be consistent - it could have increased / decreased / stayed the same..... So how could I adjust the insulin dose? (Note I haven't done DAPHNE).

Last week the Diabetic Nurse changed my Levemir to Lanctus and so far out of 40 BS readings I've had one of 3.4 (my fault as I was running late) and one of 16.4 (a result of the 3.4). Every other reading has been between 4 and 9.5.

I hope I'm not tempting fate but I feel as though I am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. This may be psychological but I am also feeling the mist lift from my brain - I feel sharper and more aware.

I don't really know how I got to where I am and would say I had tried to get balanced previously but that is easier said than done. Up until this week I had no noticable pattern, I could make adjustments that I thought would reduce the next BS only to find the BS increase. You feel like you are chasing your tail.

Currently my Lanctus dosage is 20 with NovoRapid varying depending on meal time between 10 and 14.

Sorry to hear about the awful hypo you had. I have a lot of hypos and have lost awareness several times, my DN usually advises to run higher for a while until I regain the awareness and higher just means a bit higher than normal (10-12), that is sufficient for you to regain awareness but not enough to make you feel poorly.

Thank you

Hey everyone thank you all for your replies.

I am going to try and have the same meal everyday from now on and inject small amounts.I am trying to keep my sugars in between 8-10 for a bit and then see if i get my hypo awareness back soon.That must have been one of the worst experiences so far!I had to be injected with the glucagon injection i am so glad i had it. I have a diabetic review soon so i will record everything. It feels like the constant highs and lows are never going to end:(

Thanks againxxx

Hope it works for you - remember we're always here for you, keep us updated! 🙂

Thanks! So glad i finally found something to keep in touch with other diabetics!

Thanks again and i will keep you posted!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back