help?

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Today Alex had hypo at school at 2.30pm. His level was 2.2 - so first aider gave him jelly babies - then 1 minute later tested and decided to give biscuits - then 1 minute later gave 1 small can of coke!!

So he is now 16! My question is : Should i correct as i normally would do at evening meal time or should i underestimate it slightly to avoid another hypo?

The school over reacted i think because it was the lowest they have seen him - but i have written a letter with instructions about leaving testing 15 minutes after having sugar in future - and not to give him so much! It came to 50grams of carbs! I have told them the guidelines state 15 grams of sugar etc and a biscuit!:confused:Bev

Bev 15 minutes is quite a long time if he still feels hypo a couple of minutes after the jelly babies. Personally if I feel bad I will keep eating things till I feel better - it could still be dropping. So basically if he feels shaky and wants more I think he should. After a hypo like that his BG is bound to be high.

If you are worried about him going hypo again give him the usual estimate for his dinner and then work out how much you need as a correction, but give him a couple less.

This is what I would do anyway!

Hi bev,

I'm pretty appalled that the first-aider overreacted like that, not only by giving so much, but testing after only a minute! Looks like a bit of a panic rather than the calm reaction you would hope for when dealing with children. Hope it didn't upset Alex. Also, bear in mind that the meter has a degree of (in)accuracy, so he might not have been that low. How did he feel?

I couldn't really give advice about adjusting insulin as I've been getting that so wrong myself lately! Could you ring the DSN and see what she thinks, or is it too late in the day?

Oh yes, testing after a minute is ridiculous!

What I meant was if he still felt shaking after a few minutes it's fine to have more.

Did he test because he felt low? or is that a scheduled time to test for him?
Does seem like they did panic and over treat.I've seen people way overtreated/overtested by people who have panicked. I do find it more scary actually to be with someone who is low than be low myself. Probably because you know how you are feeling, but not how someone else is.

I would go over with them again at the school what they need to do, and also with Alex because he knows what he needs to do. He might need to be assertive and take control of situation (I know not always the easiest when hypo)

Hi all,
Alex felt skakey with the hypo - like he always does. The first aider decided that as it was a low level he needed more sugar! Testing after 1 minute was the first aiders idea - Alex said he was feeling fine by then but just did what he was told!
I rang his DN after posting this and she said he should have waited 15 minutes and then re-tested.
I forgot to ask her about correcting Alex - he was 13 pre dinner so i didnt correct because he has drums lessons - and its very active! I also just gave him an omelette and a piece of bread as i didnt want to have to fight with a lot of carbs etc! Thanks. Bev

Hi Bev,
My nurse and dietician have told me not to correct for 24hrs after a hypo even if readings are high as increased risk of having another. They said everything needs to settle down. Ive found it annoying as tend to have high sugars for rest of day but seems to be back to normal next day.
It must be so hard for someone watchin a hypo and will want to give more and more sugar to make sure ur ok. I know my other half always says are u sure u dont need more look at u!! ive never seen anyone have a hypo so I cant understand what its like. I only have the experience of having one and the horrible feeling you get when u over treat as high sugars make u feel so rubbish! Isnt diabetes just great!!

ah ok. If he felt fine they shouldnt have kept giving him sugar without leaving it a while and then testing :rolleyes: I guess it must be a bit scary when you are looking after someone elses child and you don't have diabetes yourself.

Back