Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondie3

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My husband has type 2 diabetes and is on Metformin.

He is becoming increasingly forgetful, aggressive with depression and mood swings.

He doesn’t eat properly and is drinking more and more.

I don’t know which way is up anymore or where to turn I am at my wits end with him.

He just won’t help himself, or better his diet. He has his diabetes appointments and lies to the nurse.

What can I do?

My husband has type 2 diabetes and is on Metformin.

He is becoming increasingly forgetful, aggressive with depression and mood swings.

He doesn’t eat properly and is drinking more and more.

I don’t know which way is up anymore or where to turn I am at my wits end with him.

He just won’t help himself, or better his diet. He has his diabetes appointments and lies to the nurse.

What can I do?
Welcome to the forum
Very tricky when people don't want to engage with making changes and that can be because they perceive the meals will be boring and tasteless which couldn't be further from the truth.
Who does the cooking, if it is you then making tasty meals based on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, vegetables and salads but with only small portions of high carb foods will help.
The symptoms may be the consequence of high blood glucose as it affects every cell in the body including the brain so has an influence on mood.
There is no need to exclude alcohol just make good choices about which drinks, dry wines, spirits with diet mixers rather than beer or cider are better but obviously in moderation. Have a look at this link for some ideas for some meals which may appeal and are low carb. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
It is going to be a gradual process but by being able to have meals which he enjoys may encourage him to make some changes.
It maybe that he needs some medication for his depression so should speak to his doctor.
If you feel at risk from his aggression then you should speak to your own GP for help.

Welcome @Blondie3 What was he like before his diabetes diagnosis? Has he previously had issues with drinking and aggression? Do you think the alcohol is causing his forgetfulness?

How aggressive is he? I suggest you speak to your/his GP to see if you (and him) can get some support you feel his drinking is becoming a problem. If you need it, there’s a helpline:

• Drinkline is the national alcohol helpline. If you're worried about your own or someone else's drinking, you can call this free helpline in complete confidence. Call 0300 123 1110 (weekdays 9am to 8pm, weekends 11am to 4pm).

I think the issues are bigger than his diabetes.

He also keeps switching his tablets from taking them in the morning and changing it to the evening?

He also keeps switching his tablets from taking them in the morning and changing it to the evening?

High blood sugar can make people a bit irritable (but not aggressive). Is he testing his blood sugar at home?

You said he lies to the nurse. Could you phone and speak to the nurse and tell them your concerns? They won’t be able to tell you anything (because of confidentiality) but they can listen to you. You could mention all your concerns so that they have a full picture. Could he be depressed?

Is he aware that if he doesn't manage his diabetes he's at risk of complications, some of which can be serious and even life-changing? It's that knowledge that keeps me focussed.

Metformin usually builds up in the background and works by reducing glucose output from the liver, and improving insulin sensitivity. It isn’t a medication that works directly on the meal following it.

I think people generally choose to take it at the same time every day (often with a substantial meal) as that can help with any possible side effects.

Like @Inka I do wonder whether there are more things going on with your husband’s mindset than just his diabetes management - and aggression and increased drinking, along with not being honest with his nurse are bound to make you worry.

You might like to call the Diabetes UK helpline advisers for a chat and to see if they can signpost you towards any helpful services. You can call Mon-Fri 9-6 on the number at the top of the page.

Have you spoken to your husband about how his behavious is impacting you, and making you feel?

Can anyone tell me if Metformin should be taken on an empty stomach or after a meal? What is the correct way to take it?

Should it also be taken with other tablets like blood pressure medication or separately?

Can anyone tell me if Metformin should be taken on an empty stomach or after a meal? What is the correct way to take it?

They recommend taking it with a meal to reduce side effects.

If he's on "normal" metformin then the NHS advises that it's best to take them with, or immediately after, the evening meal.
If he's on "slow release" or "modified" metformin then it makes zero difference when they're taken.
I take blood pressure meds at the same time I take my metformin. I've never been told that there's an ideal time to take either so I do what works for me.

As for being forgetful and becoming depressed and aggressive that's possibly totally unrelated to the diabetes.

You mention that he's drinking more and more. Do you mean liquids in general or alcohol?

How old is he? How long since he's been diagnosed?

You can make an appointment with the GP for you and talk with them about your husband privately there.

Metformin takes time to build up to a clinically effective level in the body so it's not as if you have to take it the same time every day. However it's sensible to get into a routine so that taking them becomes second nature. If he's ignoring the whole diabetes thing and is in denial about what needs to be done then could changing the time he's taking the tablets be part of the resistance to acknowledge he has diabetes?

He has taken it tonight after an evening meal and is completely fine. I do notice that he has been going red in the face when he takes it without food? Is this the Metformin or blood pressure related?

He has taken it tonight after an evening meal and is completely fine. I do notice that he has been going red in the face when he takes it without food? Is this the Metformin or blood pressure related?
High blood sugars can make you flushed too

May I ask how long he’s been dismissed as diabetic and how long has he resisted dealing with his condition?

Also how old is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back