Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewdiabeticRo

So my latest HbA1 is 62
It was 110 on diagnosis in May 2022
I'm 26 and my GP says it's a good improvement but I am on Metformin and Empagliflozin.
The truth is I initially got it down to 75 without actually taking my prescribed meds. In the last 3 months as well I have missed out an entire month of medication because I mentally just couldn't do it while on holiday. Since being put on the Empagliflozin and higher dose of Metformin, I've gone back to eating a fair amount of carbs (homemade ham a cheese toastie for breakfast, roast potatoes as a side 1-2 times a week). I've also been exercising, I guess thats helped but I want to stop this yo-yo of being really good and the suddenly eating anything and everything and ruining my progress.
Does anyone have any resources? I still occasionally struggle with the acceptance of having type 2 diabetes and that I'm going to possibly be on medication for a long time, thank you

You have done really well to reduce your HbA1C especially initially without the medication and that supports the fact that dietary changes are equally important. However those changes need to be to a regime that is enjoyable and sustainable and becomes your new way of eating. Incorporating the things you enjoy into your daily carb allowance and making the carbs you do have worth it.
If you have a home testing blood glucose monitor as many people do (usually self funded as Type 2) then you can establish that you can or can't cope with a couple of roast potatoes or the cheese toastie. If you test before you eat and after 2 hours and the increase is no more than 2-3mmol/l then it is OK for more then maybe 1 roast potato would be Ok or cheese on toast with a poached egg so only 1 slice of bread. Trying to stick to no more than 130g total carbs per day will still allow you some of the things you like.
Check out this link for some low carb ideas.

You have done really well to reduce your HbA1C especially initially without the medication and that supports the fact that dietary changes are equally important. However those changes need to be to a regime that is enjoyable and sustainable and becomes your new way of eating. Incorporating the things you enjoy into your daily carb allowance and making the carbs you do have worth it.
If you have a home testing blood glucose monitor as many people do (usually self funded as Type 2) then you can establish that you can or can't cope with a couple of roast potatoes or the cheese toastie. If you test before you eat and after 2 hours and the increase is no more than 2-3mmol/l then it is OK for more then maybe 1 roast potato would be Ok or cheese on toast with a poached egg so only 1 slice of bread. Trying to stick to no more than 130g total carbs per day will still allow you some of the things you like.
Check out this link for some low carb ideas.
Thank you for your response
My during the day blood glucose after all meals is less never above 8 and random is like 4-5. But irrespective of what I eat for dinner my morning fasting blood glucose is never below 9. It's something I will be discussing with my GP as I have a new one now. The previous one was clueless about why that would happen

I found that staying below 8 at 2 hours after meals was when things started to reset themselves. I lost weight and regained energy - so I don't think that you have too much to worry about, but I did see, month by month, that the 8's became 7's and eventually 6's - presumably all the stores of glucose gradually empties. As long as you are not topping up all the time with more carbs than you can cope with, it should be OK>
Maybe look for lower carb options to rein in the intake a little?

I have read various people say that they found the fasting blood glucose was the last one to come back under control @NewdiabeticRo so I would think that if your pre- and post-meal BG readings are within the recommended ranges for Type 2 then you may just need to give it more time, and make sure you stick to taking your medication regularly (maybe trying to figure out a way to manage it mentally with holidays - or maybe that will just come with time?). As @Leadinglights says you need to make sure that your diet is sustainable for you - and if you aren't able to sustain below x amount of carbs, but your BG levels are within range on y amount of carbs and z medications then that is still ok.

Thank you. all of your comments are very reassuring.
I'm going to ask my GP about any mental health resources they may have to help as well. I guess a big part of it is still the acceptance of my condition.
I've have the full diabetes blood check and everything is normal other than the HbA1

I've read up about it in the past. Is there anyway to manage it?
Have you tried a small protein snack before bed? They say this helps, worth atry if you haven't already done so 🙂

I spoke with my new GP this morning. He was lovely and supportive, has not suggested any changes in meds and given me multiple resources to help with the mental health. He was really empathetic and offered a few counselling sessions with himself as well to help plan and manage my condition better. He is positive with the right help and support I could make it to remission. Like a breath of fresh air compared to my previous GP that made me feel it was all my wrongdoing.
Thank you everyone for all your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back