Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbowjo

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi I went to A&E as numb legs and had bloods done they did scan as suspected claud equine, if blood sugars were problem would they have checked for diabetes complications also as it wasn’t claud equine. They asked if I had diabetes in triage I said no but I’d asked doctor re testing ….just worrying they have let me out of a&e still numb having only ruled out claud equine. Thanks for reading!

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing numbness in your legs. How long have you been having problems with it or did it come on suddenly? Do you have any muscle wastage in your legs/hips? There is a rare complication of uncontrolled diabetes which causes Diabetic Amyotrophy but it tends to be something that develops with very high Blood Glucose (BG) levels over a long period. Have you had any typical diabetic symptoms?

An HbA1c is a very simple and relatively cheap test so I am really surprised that your GP has not sanctioned that if you have mentioned concerns about diabetes. Are there things which make you think you might have diabetes or be susceptible to it?

Welcome to the forum @Rainbowjo

I’m not sure if your post has been autocorrected, was it claudication that was suspected?

Have they suggested any other checks or tests that might be helpful to try to work out the cause of the numbness?

Sounds like it might be helpful for you to chat things through with your GP, and maybe ask about getting an HbA1c check to rule out diabetes?

Yes, I read it as cauda equina, which is generally considered to need emergency treatment.

I don't think that A&E not keeping you in means that they don't think it needs investigating @Rainbowjo - just that they don't think you need an emergency admission to hospital now they've ruled out cauda equina. Did they make a referral for an outpatient appointment, or suggest you see your GP?

Hi I went to A&E as numb legs and had bloods done they did scan as suspected claud equine, if blood sugars were problem would they have checked for diabetes complications also as it wasn’t claud equine. They asked if I had diabetes in triage I said no but I’d asked doctor re testing ….just worrying they have let me out of a&e still numb having only ruled out claud equine. Thanks for reading!
I woke up with a numb foot which spread all the way up my leg. I ended up with decompression surgery, which stopped it getting worse, but my numbness is still there (4 years on)

If you are concerned about your diabetes risk,you could ask for a test at your GP surgery. They won’t repeat the test if you have had one within the last three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back