Help with University research

Status
Not open for further replies.

WellsD

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
Do you have Type 2 diabetes?

Queen's University Belfast is looking for adults with Type 2 diabetes to complete a survey designed to explore how this condition impacts people's lives. The anonymous survey can be completed online by clicking on this link: https://qubpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0qsY8HZuQ8XcdyB

Please feel free to share this survey with others and thank you in advance for your help!

Participant Recruitment Flyer JPEG.jpg

This study has been approved by @Cherrelle DUK

You'll have to be a bit clearer about what you want to know.
Just what is a social support system and how would I know if I had one?

You'll have to be a bit clearer about what you want to know.
Just what is a social support system and how would I know if I had one?
Hi Drummer - by social support, we are hoping to get some basic information on how well the person feels emotionally, or otherwise, supported by friends and/or family. For example, does the person feel they have someone to confide in, share their workload with, listen to their problems, etc. It's quite a subjective one in some respects, and the perception of social support, and how good this is, will very much come down to the individual. Hope this helps. All the best

Hmm just done the survey. A few observations

1. Spelling mistake in the section that srtarts with 'Please note that we are asking you to indicate the degree 'go' which each.... it should read 'to'

Overall I felt the whole questionnaire was way too negative. You seem to think (from your questions) that diabetes is nothing but a 'problem' that we will be sad, defeated, guilty, etc, but some of us are healthier, fitter, have more energy, see life in a more positive way because of the diagnosis and the change of lifestyle chosen to get the diabetes into remission . Surely your questionnaire should allow positive responses. As it stands you will get a very negative overall picture or, worst case, a non committal view of us diabetics.

Please consider changing your questionnaire to bring out the successes as well as the problems so that you get a more balanced view.

Examples?

'I get as much satisfaction out of things'.... er, how about I get MORE satisfaction out of things (and I really do too)

I am not particularly discouraged about the future. Well again how about an option for those, like me, who are particularly encouraged about the future.

'I don't feel sad', how about I feel happy, energised, motivated, etc

I don't think I look any worse than I used to. How about those of us who have worked hard to get the diabetes into remission and feel that we look and feel fitter, healthier, happier, more capable than before.

The section that asks 'how often do you feel that you lack companionship' and related questions. I answered in a general overal way. But the diabetes has zero I put but my am I lonely, isolated etc because of my wifes mental illness. It has isolated us completely and we have zero support. Perhaps more careful wording or different options could cover this aspect better.

Etc etc I had a few more examples like the above.

To be brutally honest unless you rebalance your questionnaire it is very likely to be less than useful and may give an overall negative impression of those living with diabetes.

Do you really see us diabetics as miserable, unhappy, lacking energy, lacking motivation, lacking success? Because I don't. I read of so many successes here (along with the problems and difficulties)

Perhaps, also, it might be helpful to have a comments section at the end of the survey to cover things people feel have been missed, things people are impressed with (in the survey), things for you to consider to improve the survey, etc

By the end of the survey I felt very disappointed in it.

Last edited:
By the time I got to the end I was feeling quite annoyed by the negativity of the questions.
There are no questions on how people manage their diabetes, meds, diet, etc or if their income or financial resources impact on how they are able to manage their diabetes.

Hi Drummer - by social support, we are hoping to get some basic information on how well the person feels emotionally, or otherwise, supported by friends and/or family. For example, does the person feel they have someone to confide in, share their workload with, listen to their problems, etc. It's quite a subjective one in some respects, and the perception of social support, and how good this is, will very much come down to the individual. Hope this helps. All the best
I feel very well emotionally - and I am the one providing support and assistance.
Maybe a rethink of your survey would be a good idea?

Hmm just done the survey. A few observations

1. Spelling mistake in the section that srtarts with 'Please note that we are asking you to indicate the degree 'go' which each.... it should read 'to'

Overall I felt the whole questionnaire was way too negative. You seem to think (from your questions) that diabetes is nothing but a 'problem' that we will be sad, defeated, guilty, etc, but some of us are healthier, fitter, have more energy, see life in a more positive way because of the diagnosis and the change of lifestyle chosen to get the diabetes into remission . Surely your questionnaire should allow positive responses. As it stands you will get a very negative overall picture or, worst case, a non committal view of us diabetics.

Please consider changing your questionnaire to bring out the successes as well as the problems so that you get a more balanced view.

Examples?

'I get as much satisfaction out of things'.... er, how about I get MORE satisfaction out of things (and I really do too)

I am not particularly discouraged about the future. Well again how about an option for those, like me, who are particularly encouraged about the future.

'I don't feel sad', how about I feel happy, energised, motivated, etc

I don't think I look any worse than I used to. How about those of us who have worked hard to get the diabetes into remission and feel that we look and feel fitter, healthier, happier, more capable than before.

The section that asks 'how often do you feel that you lack companionship' and related questions. I answered in a general overal way. But the diabetes has zero I put but my am I lonely, isolated etc because of my wifes mental illness. It has isolated us completely and we have zero support. Perhaps more careful wording or different options could cover this aspect better.

Etc etc I had a few more examples like the above.

To be brutally honest unless you rebalance your questionnaire it is very likely to be less than useful and may give an overall negative impression of those living with diabetes.

Do you really see us diabetics as miserable, unhappy, lacking energy, lacking motivation, lacking success? Because I don't. I read of so many successes here (along with the problems and difficulties)

Perhaps, also, it might be helpful to have a comments section at the end of the survey to cover things people feel have been missed, things people are impressed with (in the survey), things for you to consider to improve the survey, etc

By the end of the survey I felt very disappointed in it.
Hi Gwynn, Many thanks for completing the survey and giving us some feedback. The survey is designed to use a number of validated psychometric tests. Whilst the wording of these may appear on the more 'negative' side, participants can respond to these in the positive - and indeed all of the tests used within this survey have been used successfully for many peer-reviewed studies. This study forms part of a much larger research goal, part of which involves one-to-one interviews - these allow us to tease out further information and use people's own words and sentiments on things. Interestingly, whilst we getting some very positive feedback on how people manage their condition through the interview route, and by allowing people to express things in their own way, this is not always the case. Thank you again for taking the time to complete this survey - very much appreciated.

By the time I got to the end I was feeling quite annoyed by the negativity of the questions.
There are no questions on how people manage their diabetes, meds, diet, etc or if their income or financial resources impact on how they are able to manage their diabetes.
Hi Leadinglights, Thank you very much for completing the survey and giving us some feedback. The survey has been developed using a number of validated psychometric tests. Whilst the wording of these may appear on the more 'negative' side, participants can respond to these in the positive - and indeed all of the tests used within this survey have been used successfully for many peer-reviewed studies. This study forms part of a much larger research goal, part of which involves one-to-one interviews - these allow us to tease out further information and use people's own words and sentiments on things. Some of the issues you mention are actually coming across via this route and are really interesting - we hope to keep people posted on these findings. Thanks again for helping with the study and all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back