Help with re applying for my driving licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie The Bat Lady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am a type 1 diabetic who had driven all my life (and I'm now 63), so after a particularly stressful year when I separated from my long term partner and moved into a home of my own I suffered a series of serious hypos which resulted in me having to relinquish my driving licence on the advice of my GP. This was three and a half years ago and I am now using a Dexcom and although my blood sugar levels are somewhat up and down, (I am told its called 'brittle diabetes' ) I have not needed help from anyone, or been unable to complete any task in the last three years.
I did once try to renew my licence but received a straight no from the DVLA and this has dented my confidence and I wonder if there is some help available as I now really want to get my licence ( and freedom) back.

Glad to hear you’re coping better with your blood sugars now. How is your hypo awareness, do you feel the hypos coming on now or is it just the dexcom alarms that let you know you’re going low?

Hello,
did you fill in the form correctly? Some people slip up due to confusion of some of the wording in some of the questions. You say they said no, so why did they say no? As another thought how long after you stopped driving did you reapply for your licence?

I do now get better warning signs of my low blood sugars after reducing the units of Novorapid I was taking before meals and allowing my blood sugars to run a little higher on advice from my diabetes team.
I filled in the DVLA form honestly and expected to be asked to provide further information or to have a medical, but I just received a letter saying I was not permitted to drive.

@Debbie The Bat Lady
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the DVLA. I had issues with my renewal, they sent it back no less than 6 times. Various things, they wanted a signed validated copy of my licence from the west Aussie authorities, an email would not suffice one time. Another time they wanted a 'photo when on the same application paper halfway down it stated in bold lettering a 'photo was not required. Sometimes they are just bloody-minded and depending on which muppet get to do your licence you are subject to their whims and fancies.

In the end I contacted my local MP who sorted it out in three days. He's a really good constituency MP, although I can't say I like Conor Burns politics.

Maybe you should short-circuit the system and get your MP to help. That's what you pay them for!

I do now get better warning signs of my low blood sugars after reducing the units of Novorapid I was taking before meals and allowing my blood sugars to run a little higher on advice from my diabetes team.
I filled in the DVLA form honestly and expected to be asked to provide further information or to have a medical, but I just received a letter saying I was not permitted to drive.
If you were given a straight no, it sounds to me as if you have misunderstood one of the vital questions asked.
Have you spoken to your diabetes team regarding driving again? If you haven't then perhaps a good idea to talk to them about it and find out where you stand.

As long as you have hypo warnings and not needed assistance for a hypo then no reason to deny unless you fail on the eyesight front.
How long after your licence loss did you apply because there is a set time before you can reapply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back