Help with PIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Good morning all
I have a telephone appointment with the dwp for my pip claim.
I'm struggling to put into words how the constant drain of being a new type 3c ( which they've probably never heard of) is having on my day to day life.
I'm still using a wheelchair and am struggling physically, I know this will get better ..... albeit it'd a while off yet.
But it's the diabetes that's causing my day to day issues. I'm still getting huge swings in my numbers. I get daily hypos but as soon as I knock back my insulin it sky rockets.
Can anyone tell me what to say to make the person on the end of the phone have some idea what living without a pancreas is like

Good morning @cupcakequeen71, I wish I could offer you more structured advice but I do sympathise with your predicament.

I'm seriously out of date with respect to all or any of the benefits type of claims. I helped my late brother in 2008 after he'd just left hospital, was homeless and missing his right leg. I helped him again in 2009 after he'd had his left leg amputated; both from diabetes. I saw first hand the blatantly mindless obstructiveness - including during the first interview noting he was missing a leg then asking the next question from her paperwork when did he expect his condition to improve. He relatively politely answered, I went apoplectic and asked the woman had she ever seen anyone regrow a leg, never mind a near 70 Yr old man.

My best advice is stay calm. Try to jot down ahead of any meeting or phone call all the things that are constraining your lifestyle (recent hospitalizations and surgery, wheelchair now, long term incurable diabetes (no possibility of remission - T3c is NOT remotely the same as T2), dependence on so many other people for everyday things, need for taxis or buses (if frequent and accessible) for shopping, hospital visits etc, increased expenditure on heating (being wheelchair bound keeps you cold) and basically anything else you can think of.

Good luck.

The very first thing I'd want to say is actually enquire how much previous experience they have dealing with claimants a few weeks after needing extremely severe thoracic surgery involving 14 hours surgery including total removal of a relatively small in size but very major bodily organ? Tell them you can only possibly tell them how it affects you at this exact moment since no-one in the MDT team treating you (give them their full title, not the abbreviation and also at which specific hospital in Leicester) prepared to even hazard the slightest guess at predicting your future recovery so it beats me more than a bit how you expect me, an ordinary person, to do that though I can say that the entire thing before, during and since has been and still is, very traumatic for me mentally as well as physically. (Thinking here of the effects of constant pain on the brain, which OK isn't now exactly the same utterly violent pain, just different and you live in hope that will lessen as you physically heal, assuming of course that you do heal well, but again there's no guarantee of that happening whatever.)

Good morning all
I have a telephone appointment with the dwp for my pip claim.
I'm struggling to put into words how the constant drain of being a new type 3c ( which they've probably never heard of) is having on my day to day life.
I'm still using a wheelchair and am struggling physically, I know this will get better ..... albeit it'd a while off yet.
But it's the diabetes that's causing my day to day issues. I'm still getting huge swings in my numbers. I get daily hypos but as soon as I knock back my insulin it sky rockets.
Can anyone tell me what to say to make the person on the end of the phone have some idea what living without a pancreas is like
this seems like deja vu i think i answered this on FB 😎

I used to be an advice worker before retirement so have had a lot of experience helping people with their PIP forms. Main points to remember are as follows:-
- Fluctuating conditions: There may be some days when you feel worse or better than others. Social security law states that if you can't complete daily living functions for at least half the time, you should be classed as not being able to do it at all. So if for example you need help to cook a meal on average 4 out of 7 days of the week, you should say that you can't do it at all. If you say you can do something 'sometimes', the assessor will mark you down. The PIP assessment system is not good at dealing with fluctuating conditions, and you can't count on being assessed by someone who is knowledgeable about diabetes.
- You should state exactly what happens when you have a hypo. How often do you have one? [Remember the 50% rule as mentioned above.] Does it make it unsafe for you to be alone at home or to go out unaccompanied? Do you have to carry ID which states your health condition? Do you have to be taken to A&E? How many times in the last year have you had to attend hospital due to hypos? Are you forbidden to drive a car or ride a bike? Have you incurred physical injuries because of your hypos?
- Does your condition cause extreme fatigue to the extent that you can't get out of bed in the morning, can't decide what clothes to wear, can't decide what to eat?
- Are you unable to work because of your diabetes? If you do work, what kind of adaptations does your employer need to provide to accommodate your diabetes?
- If you don't understand any questions, don't be afraid to tell them. never try to answer a question that you don't understand.
- If you need to take frequent breaks during the appointment to use the toilet, or get a drink or for any other reason related to your diabetes - let the assessor know.
- It's useful to have a copy of your PIP form with you at the appointment in case you need to jog your memory.
And finally.....PIP is set up to make claimants fail the assessment. If you receive such a letter from the DWP, lodge a request for a mandatory reconsideration. You must do this within one month. Then send additional evidence if you can get it. It may be that the assessment report bears little or no relation to what you actually said - or leaves out important stuff about your condition, so ask for a copy of the report. If the mandatory reconsideration is also rejected, you can then lodge an appeal with the Tribunal Service which you must do within one month of your reconsideration having been rejected by the DWP. At this stage, it would be advisable to seek advice from Citizens Advice Bureau or similar agency before submitting your evidence to the Tribunal.
This has been a bit of an epic - but PIP is complex. I would strongly advise you to subscribe to the online journal 'Benefits and Work' which would give you access to their excellent detailed guides to all aspects of claiming PIP if you pay a very modest fee. B&W also provide monthly email updates which can be useful in providing updates on PIP case law.
Good luck and don't let the b£$~^"**s grind you down!

Thank you so much. Unfortunately they cancelled my appointment because there wasn't a Health Assistant available, so they rescheduled it. Then THEY failed to call me, so I now have an appointment on 20th December. I've been left feeling exhausted, wiped out and in pain after twice waiting for these appointments

Thank you so much. Unfortunately they cancelled my appointment because there wasn't a Health Assistant available, so they rescheduled it. Then THEY failed to call me, so I now have an appointment on 20th December. I've been left feeling exhausted, wiped out and in pain after twice waiting for these appointments
How long have you been going through the process? I had a call from a health care professional on Thursday afternoon, no prenotification, which lasted just over an hour. Thought about asking her to call back but I was at my most fatigued and ratty so thought lets go for it. This was approximately 2 months since i submitted my application. She said her report would be reviewed and I should here if successful in 2 months time. 4 months and i expect to have to appeal....it shouldn't be so difficult. It makes you wonder how there are so many benefit cheats...

I'm sorry they have messed you about, but it's a common experience I'm afraid. Don't forget the 50% rule and do appeal if you get rejected. A larger proportion of people win at appeal stage when having had their claim rejected by the DWP.
Good luck.

If you do need to appeal make sure you request the assessment report and go through with fine tooth comb, mine had over 30 errors in it and some was down right lies as if it was someone else’s details, luckily I had a witness for my 3.5 hr phone call assessment. In person I always take someone with me for each review as a witness.
You can also ask them to book equipment to record it so you get a cd with the recording on, must be arranged before the assessment though! Highly recommend you do this as already pointed out a decline rate at first application is very high and so many inaccuracies in the reporting especially if you have very complex issues. My assessor only got 15 mins to read my case file of over 200 pages of medical reports.

How long have you been going through the process? I had a call from a health care professional on Thursday afternoon, no prenotification, which lasted just over an hour. Thought about asking her to call back but I was at my most fatigued and ratty so thought let’s go for it. This was approximately 2 months since i submitted my application. She said her report would be reviewed and I should here if successful in 2 months time. 4 months and i expect to have to appeal....it shouldn't be so difficult. It makes you wonder how there are so many benefit cheats...
You should get a text when your report is written up, you can ask for it posting out as soon as you get the text, suggest you do this just in case you have to appeal so you can be prepared for the errors!

You can Google PIP descriptors, this is the criteria they work too, I use it as a crib sheet and write up points on paper or little cards of things I need to remember before I go in or sand over the phone, they seem to be keen to keep you on the hop these days. Make sure to ask for your report in case you need to appeal, you don’t get that long to appeal so being prepared especially when so poorly and you can at least have it read through and errors noted before your decision arrives, hate to be negative but @Elektra has pointed out the high first time decline rate and unfortunately it’s accurate.

Sorry to hear about the cancelled appointment, and how exhausting you have been finding things @cupcakequeen71 :(

Fingers crossed for your appointment on 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back