Help with my 18yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siannie 49

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My lad just turned 18 in Jan, so he's moved onto Adult Care. He's not taking proper care of himself. He's not checking his bloods when he's out all day/night with mates, eating when out and no jabbing insulin for it. I can't seem to get it through to him, the importance of having his insulin. I know he wants to be like his mates, forget about it. Last night his BG was HI and Kets were 0.9 when he came home. He scoffs at home when we are out, and no jabs. I really am at a loss, want to help but don't know how. He's on Libre 2 and FIASP insulin. He won't discuss it with anyone or interested in a pump. Been diagnosed nearly 3years. He's so skinny now no fat or muscle on his body. I don't want him to end up in hospital. I'm so worried. I don't know how to help. Sorry for the long post.

Welcome to the forum

Has you son always found it a struggle with his diabetes?

The first year he kinda did what the nurses told him, but he just can't be arsed to chk bg, that's what he says to me.... I ask him to chk before meals when he is home. But he's in college or out with mates for most of the time. He's struggling now more with it.

Did he speak to the psychologist while he was under paediatrics? Is there anything similar offered by adult care?

Did he speak to the psychologist while he was under paediatrics? Is there anything similar offered by adult care?
No unfortunately there wasn't a psychologist available for him to talk to. I've asked him if he will talk to someone about what's going on, but he won't. I may contact the Adult team for some advice. Although he'll probably go mad me contacting them.....

No unfortunately there wasn't a psychologist available for him to talk to. I've asked him if he will talk to someone about what's going on, but he won't. I may contact the Adult team for some advice. Although he'll probably go mad me contacting them.....
They may not be able to tell you anything because he is an adult

They may not be able to tell you anything because he is an adult
Yes I know they won't be able to tell me anything. Just want to make them aware of where he is at the mo. He makes out at clinic that he's doing everything he should be, which he's not, he's got hardly any data to go off. They want try and get him on a Dafne Carb counting course, cos he's Adult now. But just want him to chk bg and correct when it's needed.

Yes I know they won't be able to tell me anything. Just want to make them aware of where he is at the mo. He makes out at clinic that he's doing everything he should be, which he's not, he's got hardly any data to go off. They want try and get him on a Dafne Carb counting course, cos he's Adult now. But just want him to chk bg and correct when it's needed.
Do they not see the extent of it with LibreView?

Making them aware of it is a good idea but may frustrate your son because he may think it doesn’t matter even when you are doing all you can to help (just a psychology aspect)

Do they not see the extent of it with LibreView?

Making them aware of it is a good idea but may frustrate your son because he may think it doesn’t matter even when you are doing all you can to help (just a psychology aspect)
Yes they can see it from the data from the libre and accu chek meter......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back