Help with Hypos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
After having what i thought was my first hypo on Friday the meter read 4.7 i was just wondering if people could give me a run down please on both the symptoms and the feelings you get i know many have them and i have seen many posts up about hypos but from a person who has only ever experienced one then i would like a few pointers .I was told by some one i could of had a'relative hypo', when you're low compared to what you've been recently, so it feels lower than it actually is.Because I aint ever eperienced one all i can say is it sure was totally diffirent to a hyper thats how i knew it was diffirent.

Cheers .

Stef, when I get hypos (usually reading 4 and under) I get sort of dizzy, feel slightly panic-y, everything goes kind of grey, I have shaky hands and slightly sweaty - and I am very bad-tempered.

When I was at higher levels (around 12 if I recall correctly) I got these false hypo symptons at 5 or 6 but I only get them now when I'm around 3.5.

Hope this helps a little.

I have had 2 that i tested in so know they were hypos & I have had a couple of others that I didnt test with & have also has a lot of the hypo feeling when levels were coming down. Hopefully what I have experienced will help you out a bit but others can probably help more..

I start with lip tingles as I drop below 5.5 & feel generally faint & a bit spaced out as it gets to the bottom of the 5s. I also get waves of feeling really really hot & I think my vision goes a bit blurry. Oh and cant concentrate properly

Tested hypos -
As above but the twice I tested I had been feeling like that for a couple of hours & I had almost gone into a state of ignoring those sypmtoms. Its hard to explain but I felt sort of like I do when I have drunk a glass of wine (bit of a leightweight with wine!), slightly floaty, not with it at all. Also felt really hot n sweaty & get panicky. Not sure if I get grumpier as I am a grumpy moo anyway

Dunno if that will help hun, but like I said I am sure more articulate regular hypo sufferers will come along soon! :D

thanks Faith and star that does help

Hi Steff,

I also get very shakey hands and start to ramble and not make sense - I can actualy feel my bloods dropping and so far I have been able to treat myself with glucose tablets and orange juice. Most of mine have occured in work and one of my colleagues always keeps a close eye on me and jumps to my assistance as soon as I say I can feel it dropping. These tho have all been below 4.

Hi Steff
I have had a hypo at 4.7 before.
felt sick,blured vision,shaking panicy, i rang nhs direct as i was worried and was not on any meds, she said it was deffinately due to low levels to what i was used to.
I was adviced to treat it as a hypo & had a couple of biscuits and a juice things was great after a short time.
Hope this helps you.

Hi Steff
I have had a hypo at 4.7 before.
felt sick,blured vision,shaking panicy, i rang nhs direct as i was worried and was not on any meds, she said it was deffinately due to low levels to what i was used to.
I was adviced to treat it as a hypo & had a couple of biscuits and a juice things was great after a short time.
Hope this helps you.

Thanks Di and Sweet this all helps, I did have a few swigs of lucozade.I was on my own at the time and was very unsure just thought of all the advice id had off here .🙂

There is laods of great advice here and even by reading the replies others get help too

Steff, when I have a hypo my hands usually start to shake followed by getting sweaty, some times I get a feeling of extreme hunger like I could eat everything in sight.

If I go very low I start to get disorientated and start to lose co-ordinatation and things seem to go far away like I'm not really there like when you are about to faint.

All good stuff from everybody, however 4.7 is not a hypo !

If you are experiencing hypo symptoms at around those levels it just shows that your hypo awareness is good. It does not mean you are having a hypo !

I too have had the warning symptoms around those levels over the years. Time for you to do something about it by having a sugary drink, some Lucozade or Glucotabs to boost the levels then you can have a snack with some carbs in to keep the levels a little higher. Avoid the shakes etc.

As for what someone referred to as 'relative hypo, this is when you have been having high levels and then when it drops say from 12 down to say 6 your body thinks that it is getting low and decides to again give you the shakes etc. This is called a 'false hypo.' and is not a hypo at all, just your body being fooled by the high levels and the drop into thinking you are in trouble.

I have had experience of all of these things at one time or another !

Dave.

I will start to feel a bit edgy and irriatable and like I need to eat that will be catching it early or before it's dropped below 4. once it gets there I will start to feel shakey and my heart will start to race. Don't know if you have ever had a panic attacks, but for me panic attacks and hypos are very similar.

All good stuff from everybody, however 4.7 is not a hypo !

If you are experiencing hypo symptoms at around those levels it just shows that your hypo awareness is good. It does not mean you are having a hypo !

I too have had the warning symptoms around those levels over the years. Time for you to do something about it by having a sugary drink, some Lucozade or Glucotabs to boost the levels then you can have a snack with some carbs in to keep the levels a little higher. Avoid the shakes etc.

As for what someone referred to as 'relative hypo, this is when you have been having high levels and then when it drops say from 12 down to say 6 your body thinks that it is getting low and decides to again give you the shakes etc. This is called a 'false hypo.' and is not a hypo at all, just your body being fooled by the high levels and the drop into thinking you are in trouble.

I have had experience of all of these things at one time or another !

Dave.

Ty Sharpe all good info cheers.Ill know in the future if its below 4 then i can class it a hypo.

I will start to feel a bit edgy and irriatable and like I need to eat that will be catching it early or before it's dropped below 4. once it gets there I will start to feel shakey and my heart will start to race. Don't know if you have ever had a panic attacks, but for me panic attacks and hypos are very similar.

Yeah many of them Nikki when i was pregnant and some after the birth of my son as well, not had one for about 4 month now.But i can definetly see the feelings would be very similier when hypoing

Steff - I describe hypos as a bit like a scary drunk feeling. Not with it, clumsy, can't think straight, shaking if it is a bad one. I can also feel incredibly tired, my OH has picked up on this one and if he sees me yawning lots he gets me to check my BS.

Hi steff, my hypo awarness is realley bad,

But when i go hypo, i get dizzy irriatble, sweaty palms, The worst mood ever, then the hunger kicks in, I remember my worst hypo yet, it was around christmas, couldint speak or get words out, didnt no what day it was, realley trippy, and horrible 😱

Just make sure you always have something to treat it 🙂

I would rather be high than low especially when i am sleep

Last edited:
Ty as ever Scotty and rach, I have 2 cans of lucuzade at all times and 2x pakcets of gluco tabs.

Hi,

I get different symptoms at times, but mostly i get really, lets just say grumpy!

I get really hot and can feel sweaty, its like a hotness where you want to take your clothes off, thats how hot i feel, shakey and wobbley legs. its just a feeling that i know im going low, everything can get a bit spacey (dont know how else to describe it).

Glad you always carry glucose, thats the most important thing, im like a squirrel i have stuff every where. Handbag, glove compartment of car, boot of car, work place, bedroom, kitchen etc etc.

I haven't had a hypo for about 6 years now, a few false ones as my body was getting used to lower sugar levels.. I get really agitated, shakey, irrational, sweaty, feel sick and my friend pointed out to me that I rub my head a lot lol.. I have passed out a couple of times.. one time I had gone out for lunch and was lowish before I went out, but obviously had gone into a hypo as I had the above reactions, had glucotabs but I couldnt take them as I felt so sick and it just felt like a powdery lump in my mouth, the food came and I couldnt even eat it, I felt so sick the thought of putting food in my mouth made it worse, I did try but had to give up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back