help with grapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

duty 29

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
can anyone give me some advice regards grapes ate a few grapes last night feel really sickly today and my pancreas is very tender never had any problems before being diagnosed type 2 .I know they can be bit acidic iv been told the skins are difficult to digest i would be grateful for any advice p.s. how do i stand having honey as a sweetener in my diet thanks

I was told have no more then 10 at one time so a handful but no more, honey i cant help as i cant stand the stuff.
I have to tell you that you should eat five portions of fresh vegetables and fruits per a day. It is not true that you should not eat grapes and bananas. These fruits have more sugar then some other fruits, but that does not mean that you should not eat it.

Last edited:
When I was diagnosed I was told no grapes :( and no bananas :( because they have too much sugar. I have had grapes occasionally since, but no more that three or four at a time.

When I was diagnosed I was told no grapes :( and no bananas :( because they have too much sugar. I have had grapes occasionally since, but no more that three or four at a time.

Grapes and ripe bananas are very high GI, so hit the system quickly for most people, so best avoided by Type 2s who can't adjust medications accordingly (i.e. insulin).

One grape (normal to large size) is 2 carbs. One medium ish apple is between 12 and 16 carbs. You never only eat 8 grapes, you always eat more so grapes have a huge effect on levels and very quickly as well.

1 banana is fine for me, i do have it with other fruits, ill not stop eating them anyways.

Quite right Steff.

One grape (normal to large size) is 2 carbs. One medium ish apple is between 12 and 16 carbs. You never only eat 8 grapes, you always eat more so grapes have a huge effect on levels and very quickly as well.

Yep Adrienne you hit the nail on the head - if I eat one grape I want to eat the whole 400g punnett 😱 😱

im t2 and on metforman 850ml x 3 a day my nurse never explain carbs to me to eat a healthy diet and no chocs is this something i should be concerned about ???

im t2 and on metforman 850ml x 3 a day my nurse never explain carbs to me to eat a healthy diet and no chocs is this something i should be concerned about ???

It is something we need to take into consideration. I've found that a low carb/low sugar diet is helping to take my numbers down. I've cut way down on things like rice, pasta, spuds and bread, and I've stopped eating things like bananas as often as I used to. I have berries like raspberries, blackberries and strawberries now, they don't seem to send me high. When I do have carbs I use wild rice, wholegrain bread and pasta, and have much less than I used to.

i tend to have brown cereal or wheatabix for breakfast with sk milk and bread for lunch ie sandwich and potatoes of sorts for dinner and a low sugar cereal bar not too good on fruit too much carbs?

i tend to have brown cereal or wheatabix for breakfast with sk milk and bread for lunch ie sandwich and potatoes of sorts for dinner and a low sugar cereal bar not too good on fruit too much carbs?

Weetabix used to send me high so I switched to oatmeal. Bread potatoes, rice and pasta are all high carb foods which is why my doctor told me to cut down on them as the body can convert carbs to sugar very easily. Wholegrain and brown or wild rice are lower GI than white and therefore the better option.

thanks for your help i will do a bit more adjustments on my carbs and see how much lower t can get my bs down

You know, for some idiotic reason I thought bananas were low gi, so I've had a few this week. Wonder if that's why I'm feeling so pants :confused:🙄

Dear TC,

Carbohydrates enter the blood stream as glucose, so the more you eat the higher will be your blood sugar. Having said that we are all different, and so how well you tolerate different carbs is something you must determine for yourself. Generally, you should avoid high GI carbs but it is using your blood testing meter that will tell you what you can and what you should avoid. Have a look at the books thread there are books there that will help. Most T2s find that bread, pasta, rice, sugar, starch etc cause problems, veg and fruit can be OK.

Have a look at this site: How to control your blood sugar

Regards Dodger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back