Help with getting Blood Sugers down

Robert17

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 6 weeks ago. Have changed my ( the partners) eating habits and started a daily walk.
But today my blood suger was the hugest it’s been and I have been trying to get it down today and I have only found online the advice is drink plenty of water. Is there anything that will help or is it just of matter of flushing it of the system using water?

Any help would be useful

Hi and welcome.

How high did your levels go and what are you using to measure them?
Also when did you do the test and did you double check it if it was higher than you expected. It can be quite easy to have a tiny bit of contamination on your finger if it was a finger prick, plus it might just have been a rogue test strip. The advice is always to double check any result you get which seems to be unexpectedly high or low or doesn't equate/correspond to how you feel.... which tends to be most important for those of us who are at risk of hypos. .

Hi
I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 6 weeks ago. Have changed my ( the partners) eating habits and started a daily walk.
But today my blood suger was the hugest it’s been and I have been trying to get it down today and I have only found online the advice is drink plenty of water. Is there anything that will help or is it just of matter of flushing it of the system using water?

Any help would be useful
You might be seeing the start of reversal.
If you have reduced the carbs you consume then there is a lowering of insulin production - which might take a few weeks if the poor hysterical pancreas has been overloaded and ignored for a while.
With lower insulin glucose can leave the cells where it has been stored and be transported in the blood stream to be used up.
If the concentration is high enough the kidneys can dump glucose - hence the advice on drinking more water.

Hi

Any help would be useful
It all depends on when you tested and what you had eaten and how long before. Not sure what you mean by this statement 'Have changed my ( the partners) eating habits'.
What was you HbA1C as your signature say 'at risk of diabetes' but you say you were diagnosed 6 weeks ago.
In the early day blood glucose can be a bit erratic as your body adjusts.

Sorry to hear about your elevated glucose levels @Robert17

Advice can vary depending on the levels you have seen.

As @rebrascora says, if you see a result on your BG meter, which seems unusual, or doesn’t match how you are feeling, meter manufacturers recommend you recheck the result.

Exercise isn’t recommended at levels above 12-13mmol/L, but below that a brisk walk may help.

Kidneys attempt to flush out excess glucose once levels get above the ‘renal threshold’ (about 10mmol/L), so keeping fluid intake up is often helpful.

Hi

Any help would be useful

Drinking water doesn't 'flush it out of your system'.
If levels are already very high (>11) then your kidneys will filter excess glucose from your bloodstream, so it's good to stay hydrated.

Thanks for everyone’s answers
Are things a bit more stable now? we could perhaps have been a more helpful if you had given a bit more information. People can jump to conclusions and suggest something inappropriate without having the full story.

Back