Help - Why have my Libres gone haywire?

CathyFP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi
I really need some help. I’m very worried and scared. I have used a Libre2 CGM since diagnosed type 1 in March. They have worked well and I am very reliant on them as I get no hypo symptoms.

I changed my CGM last night and the new one woke me 5 times in the night saying I was going low but each time I checked my bloods and I was if anything a bit high.

I reported it to Abbott this morning and they will replace it.

I have a new monitor on now but it has also twice alerted as going low but when I check blood I am fine - just now monitor=3.9 blood=7.4

What do I do? I rely on my Libre2 to keep me safe and I’m so exhausted and pretty scared.

Give your new sensor 24hrs @CathyFP They often correct themselves. If it persists, phone Abbott. Don’t panic. Just fingerprick alongside your new sensor. Remember that fingerpricking was all we had for decades and we managed ok 🙂

Sorry you are having issues with your Libre.
While it is possible to have a dodgy sensor, there are a few other things that come to mind
- your disturbed sleep may be due to compression lows if you have placed your sensor in a slightly different place or of the heat made you toss and turn more than usual resulting in you lying on your sensor and causing compression lows - false lows due to applying pressure to the sensor and stopping the flow of interstitial fluid.
- you may be experiencing "insertion trauma" - your body reacting to the alien object in your arm and being a bit random until it gets used to it.
- given the heat, you may be a little dehydrated (again, due to the heat) which can affect the readings

As you can see, there are limitations to the CGM technology but, as @Inka explained, many of us relied on finger pricks for decades with no problems.
Maybe (in hindsight) having the occasional technical hiccup is a good thing to remind us of the other options and make sure we can cope.

Give your new sensor 24hrs @CathyFP They often correct themselves. If it persists, phone Abbott. Don’t panic. Just fingerprick alongside your new sensor. Remember that fingerpricking was all we had for decades and we managed ok 🙂
Thanks @Inka I have already phoned Abbot about one faulty sensor this morning I might have to call them about this one too. Could it possibly be the heat? I will keep finger pricking but I’m not looking forward to another night of it. Unfortunately I get no hypo symptoms so I can’t turn it off.

You don’t have to turn it off @CathyFP but you might want to lower the Low alarm a little if it’s consistently reading Low. That way you should hopefully be disturbed less. You could also set an alarm on your phone for 1 or 2am or so, if you want to fingerprick then to reassure yourself all’s ok. You could also go to bed slightly higher than normal if you turn the Libre alarm off.

I used to get problems but now I put the new one on 2 days before the old one runs out and it's seams to have solved the issues I had before
Thanks @Pam123 I will definitely try this next time. I will also switch to changing sensors in the morning so if there are problems they don’t start while I am trying to sleep

You don’t have to turn it off @CathyFP but you might want to lower the Low alarm a little if it’s consistently reading Low. That way you should hopefully be disturbed less. You could also set an alarm on your phone for 1 or 2am or so, if you want to fingerprick then to reassure yourself all’s ok. You could also go to bed slightly higher than normal if you turn the Libre alarm off.
Thanks all good suggestions I will try

Sorry you are having issues with your Libre.
While it is possible to have a dodgy sensor, there are a few other things that come to mind
- your disturbed sleep may be due to compression lows if you have placed your sensor in a slightly different place or of the heat made you toss and turn more than usual resulting in you lying on your sensor and causing compression lows - false lows due to applying pressure to the sensor and stopping the flow of interstitial fluid.
- you may be experiencing "insertion trauma" - your body reacting to the alien object in your arm and being a bit random until it gets used to it.
- given the heat, you may be a little dehydrated (again, due to the heat) which can affect the readings

As you can see, there are limitations to the CGM technology but, as @Inka explained, many of us relied on finger pricks for decades with no problems.
Maybe (in hindsight) having the occasional technical hiccup is a good thing to remind us of the other options and make sure we can cope.
Thanks @helli I’m feeling a bit reassured by all the help and suggestions. Sorry to have panicked it’s just all new and scary. Wish I had the wisdom you all have

It’s not wisdom @CathyFP Just experience 🙂 Yours will be growing every day. Changing your sensor in the morning is a good idea. You may even find it settles down tonight. Mine often did when I used the Libre.

I had one that just froze on 2.9 and didn't shift for hours whatever I ate and of course didn't match the finger pricks. After a longish discussion with Abbott during which it seemed to die completely they sent me a replacement. As this was going to take several days I kept messing with it and eventually thought I'd re-download the app. It restarted and after an hour or so when it was stuck on 6.9 it started to work perfectly. I felt like a fraud but all the readings suggested it was a goner. So you could try reloading the app.

I had one that just froze on 2.9 and didn't shift for hours whatever I ate and of course didn't match the finger pricks. After a longish discussion with Abbott during which it seemed to die completely they sent me a replacement. As this was going to take several days I kept messing with it and eventually thought I'd re-download the app. It restarted and after an hour or so when it was stuck on 6.9 it started to work perfectly. I felt like a fraud but all the readings suggested it was a goner. So you could try reloading the app.
How do I reload the app and if I do will I loose all my data?

Depends on the phone you're using, I went to the App Store and got it from there. I didn't lose anything. I'm assuming that you are using a mobile, if you are using the reader than ignore what I've said.

Depends on the phone you're using, I went to the App Store and got it from there. I didn't lose anything. I'm assuming that you are using a mobile, if you are using the reader than ignore what I've said.
Yes I’m using the iPhone. So is this just updating the app from the App Store?

Ah I think I am already on the latest version 2.11.2.8275 ?

Does anyone keep their spare Libre2 CGMs in the fridge? I noticed in the user manual it mentioned doing this.

I don't keep cgms in the fridge

Does anyone keep their spare Libre2 CGMs in the fridge? I noticed in the user manual it mentioned doing this.
No. I never read the manual because i was one of the first people to trial the Libre so had a training session from a rep from Abbott. He never mentioned anything about keeping them in the fridge.
And i do not think my fridge is big enough for insulin, CGMs (especially something the size of the Libre applicator) and food ( and wine).

Ah I think I am already on the latest version 2.11.2.8275 ?
I was on the latest version but I renewed it just because I had nothing to lose. It could have been a fluke but that time it worked and brought the thing back to life.

Never heard of keeping sensors in a fridge.

When using the Libre sensors I always applied them the day before I needed to activate them. This gave them time to settle.

With regard to your lack of hypo awareness, have you discussed this with your DSN? In the early stages of diabetes this is unusual (as far as I am aware) and there are steps you can take to recover your awareness.

I did have a severe hypo a couple of days after diagnosis as I did not recognise what was happening as a hypo (and there were no sensors in those days) . This then made me very scared of further ones.

Back